Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2020, 08:48 PM

10,204 posts, read 15,910,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Sounds pretty well the way Trumpeters think. I am fairly conservative in many ways, but the followers of the Spray Tanner in Chief have gone off the charts in not having any social or human compassion.
I think the headlines are probably misleading. Actual sick workers won't be forced to still work, its more like hospitals staying open despite nurses getting sick.

We also need to think about the larger economic impacts, including on the farmers and ranchers who have no place to sell their livestock if these plants remain closed. Already 3 million chickens have to be euthanized with farmers taking the economic loss on that, this can cause many small farms to go under. This will further impact the restaurant business too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 08:50 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,092,467 times
You realize sick workers don’t have to come in?

You realize people at home don’t all want to become vegetarians?

Old 04-28-2020, 09:16 PM

26,773 posts, read 22,518,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB12inTB2020 View Post
Well, DEMOCRAT Mayor De Blasio of the hardest hit city in the ENTIRE country certainly country told us it was nothing much to worry about: https://youtu.be/1JZ0Ruh89f0

Oh I remember that, and I remember Pelosi inviting everyone to Chinatown in San- Francisco, and even THIS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...v=E8JivnlQB5A&

To me the bottom line is to keep it real, not just "left" vs "right."

Old 04-28-2020, 09:19 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,990,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think the headlines are probably misleading. Actual sick workers won't be forced to still work, its more like hospitals staying open despite nurses getting sick.

We also need to think about the larger economic impacts, including on the farmers and ranchers who have no place to sell their livestock if these plants remain closed. Already 3 million chickens have to be euthanized with farmers taking the economic loss on that, this can cause many small farms to go under. This will further impact the restaurant business too.
Of course we have to think of the bigger impact. The fact that this wasn't considered before this week is indicative of this admin. They don't address a problem until it is a problem. They should have been aware that supply chains would be impacted not just because of social isolation but because of illness.....that was a given.

New York City had to bring in nurses from elsewhere......I guess they might have to shift workers to the meat processing plants...so many people out of work.....should be easy right -- ...hmmm.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
From what I've read, that's not true.
They've been told to come even if they didn't feel well.

If the management is running short on people, that's what they do.

To those of you that pretend that employment is a "volunteer thing," and those that "are afraid to go to work can stay home - it's their choice" - ha-ha.

Quote:

You realize those people are afraid to go to work; they don't want to end up being dead?

Old 04-28-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
They can't make workers go to work sick see below President Trump signed this into law. I know this is a fact I work for a electric utility our own HR sent out emails telling us the same thing if we are diagnosed they will pay for us to stay home for 80 hours.

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/pan...yee-paid-leave

Families First Coronavirus Response Act: Employee Paid Leave Rights

Two weeks (up to 80 hours) of paid sick leave at the employee’s regular rate of pay where the employee is unable to work because the employee is quarantined (pursuant to Federal, State, or local government order or advice of a health care provider), and/or experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and seeking a medical diagnosis; or

I wouldn't compare "electric utility" with meat packing plants settings in the first place.

Besides, illegals don't have any rights.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:50 PM

13,235 posts, read 7,280,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post

If the employer is larger then 500 employees then employees are not covered by the FFCRA act was just passed. The only recourse would be FLMA which does not pay employee while they are home sick but they can have their job back when they return. This was one of the things DEMS were complaining about Trump said large companies already had paid leave LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I wouldn't compare "electric utility" with meat packing plants settings in the first place.

Besides, illegals don't have any rights.
I didn't notice that the 500 and above that is why I deleted the reply LOL

Old 04-28-2020, 09:58 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Of course we have to think of the bigger impact. The fact that this wasn't considered before this week is indicative of this admin. They don't address a problem until it is a problem. They should have been aware that supply chains would be impacted not just because of social isolation but because of illness.....that was a given.

New York City had to bring in nurses from elsewhere......I guess they might have to shift workers to the meat processing plants...so many people out of work.....should be easy right -- ...hmmm.
Don't you know, supply chains only matter when it is a political gain. Look at the supply chain of PPEs. Oh right, Trump bungled that too...

Old 04-28-2020, 10:06 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
If the employer is larger then 500 employees then employees are not covered by the FFCRA act was just passed. The only recourse would be FLMA which does not pay employee while they are home sick but they can have their job back when they return. This was one of the things DEMS were complaining about Trump said large companies already had paid leave LOL.

I didn't notice that the 500 and above that is why I deleted the reply LOL
So in other words, the workers at these plants are likely screwed and not covered under FFCRA. Figures...

Last edited by mkpunk; 04-28-2020 at 10:51 PM..

Old 04-28-2020, 10:47 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,132,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
You know, those tofu burgers are looking better every day. And I say this as a confirmed meat eater.
I love meat too, but those veggie burgers are pretty darn good. And I don't get stabbing stomach pains after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies