Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 02:39 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB12inTB2020 View Post
Good. We cannot shut down our food sources as well. Some want us to live without jobs, family, sun and more. Now some want to take away our food. Brilliant. K.A.F. Keep America Fed
And apparently some want other people to die.

Brilliant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 02:40 PM

2,690 posts, read 4,219,772 times
President Comb-over wouldn't want to give up his hamberders, now would he?

15,834 posts, read 6,539,575 times
A work environment that will butcher the workers. Hmm. Well the least they could do is provide protective gear and more safeguards.

2,071 posts, read 2,209,976 times
Quote:
Twenty meatpacking and processing workers have died from coronavirus, and at least 6,500 have been affected, according to the United Food and Commercial Workers Union.
I don't believe this. Reporting unsubstantiated claims by a special interest group is irresponsible journalism.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:41 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Plus, we need to figure out a way to keep these workers safe.
The Govt is to provide PPE to the Packing Facilities.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:41 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
These workers are likely minimum wage earners, and they have a family to support.

Are their lives cheaper or something? Like I said, if they want to work, we still need to figure out a way to keep them safe. Maybe handsanitizer everywhere, providing free face shield and masks for them, work short hours, and increase their pay by increase the price of meat. we all need to sacrifice a little. Gee, people.

If they don't want to work because they don't want to take unnecessary risks, then no one should force them to work.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:43 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Trump to order meat plants to stay open as worker deaths rise | Politico

Clearly, packing plants have become the next cruise ships in this health crises.

The difference is consumers choose to board cruise ships, for the fun (or whatever) but consumers don't have to work in a packing plant to get meat products for their own table. People have the luxury of purchasing various types of meat products, or not, and don't normally need them to live (there may be some medically based exceptions).

"Meatpacking plants have become incubators for the virus as employees work side-by-side in dangerous conditions. Twenty meatpacking and processing workers have died from coronavirus, and at least 6,500 have been affected, according to the United Food and Commercial Workers Union.

At least 22 plants processing meat from pork to chicken have closed at some point after clusters of employees tested positive for Covid-19, according to UFCW."

I am uncertain about this. As long as vegetable and grain products are available no one is going to starve. I don't see why it is necessary to force workers to expose themselves to unsafe conditions. And who is going to take on the legal liability the companies will now face, the US taxpayers? ... so people can have their ground chuck and pork butt and chicken Kiev?

... And packing plants are not closing permanently by any means. The companies have to manage their assets safely and still return some kind of revenue, they need cash flow so they will reopen as soon as possible anyway.

I might be persuaded otherwise with sound arguments but right now I am not seeing this as a completely valid use of the Defense Production Act.
Good. I need my bacon. Test the workers continuously, pay them a bonus, and keep the livestock running down the chute.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:44 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
These workers are likely minimum wage earners, and they have a family to support.

Are their lives cheaper or something? Like I said, if they want to work, we still need to figure out a way to keep them safe. Maybe handsanitizer everywhere, providing free face shield and masks for them, work short hours, and increase their pay by increase the price of meat. we all need to sacrifice a little. Gee, people.

If they don't want to work because they don't want to take unnecessary risks, then no one should force them to work.
All they have to do is call in Sick.

And meat packers make very good money. Probably big money with this going on.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:44 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
And apparently some want other people to die.

Brilliant.
Ironically, it's the people who seem to be all about limited government who are getting excited about the prospect of Trump forcing businesses to stay open. Pork chops >*, I guess.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:46 PM

15,834 posts, read 6,539,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
The Govt is to provide PPE to the Packing Facilities.
Along with test kits, no doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies