Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 03:48 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,537,652 times

Advertisements

I guess Trump didn’t consult with Stephen Miller— meat packing plants employ more illegal aliens than probably any other group of employer. They’re much less likely to complain about dangerous work conditions...but have also seen the largest, most publicized ICE raids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 03:56 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Some have issued and required ppe. Others are just union shakedowns. Must everything be broken down toddler level for you people?

LOL. half the folks at those plants didnt graduate high school, and half of the people dont speak english other then "yeah OK" which has gotten them through all of the training.

Old 04-28-2020, 04:03 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
You know, those tofu burgers are looking better every day. And I say this as a confirmed meat eater.

I don't care for either version to be honest, but situation looks more and more troublesome.

My guess is - the price of meat is going to go up.

Old 04-28-2020, 04:07 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Some have issued and required ppe. Others are just union shakedowns. Must everything be broken down toddler level for you people?

Please do.
I need to know what *unions* have to do with outbreaks.

Are they staging them or what?

Old 04-28-2020, 04:20 PM

10,178 posts, read 11,165,274 times
I don't eat beef - looky, I'm still alive!!!!! Who the hell is starving??? JC chill out. No one is going to starve.

Old 04-28-2020, 04:24 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB12inTB2020 View Post
Good. We cannot shut down our food sources as well. Some want us to live without jobs, family, sun and more. Now some want to take away our food. Brilliant. K.A.F. Keep America Fed
We can and we will if we are subjecting workers to places they cannot social distance and workers get sick. In a number of plants, there are dead bodies due to lack of social distancing and safety measures to prevent the spread. No wonder why you pile Trump so much, you both care more about the goddamn economy than the people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Ironically, it's the people who seem to be all about limited government who are getting excited about the prospect of Trump forcing businesses to stay open. Pork chops >*, I guess.
Yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
He doesn't care if other people die, as long as he gets to stuff his fat gullet. They're only "expendable peons" to him.

Oh, and here we go with "union" comments. One of the jobs of a union is to protect its workers. Too bad you wanted those borders closed so your more expendable "illegals" can't take their place. Time to become a vegan!
Nope, only if the economy is helped. Trump don't care about lives unless it effects the economy.

Quote:
I've been noticing some bare spots on the shelves at my local supermarket. My favorite tuna fish sold out, canned beans running out, almond milk was out for a while, my regular peanut butter, and other items selling out fast.
I do too and it has gotten better at times. Honestly, it depends on time and the day you go. Weekends are the worst for the stores.

Old 04-28-2020, 04:26 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
LOL. half the folks at those plants didnt graduate high school, and half of the people dont speak english other then "yeah OK" which has gotten them through all of the training.
Probably more than 3/4ths. They're mostly illegals. Get 'em back on the job, post haste! Now isn't the time to quibbling about minor matters such as that they're mostly illegals. I needs pork chop!

Old 04-28-2020, 04:33 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,709,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
I don't believe this. Reporting unsubstantiated claims by a special interest group is irresponsible journalism.
Not unsubstantiated.

Coronavirus outbreaks in more than 30 plants, run by Tyson Foods, JBS USA, Smithfield Foods and others, have sickened at least 5,000 workers and killed at least 17, according to a review of news reports, county health reports, state health reporting and interviews with public health officials and worker advocates.

Quote:
“The rapid nature of the spread of disease among JBS employees is very concerning, and the exponential spread of this disease across an employee population of several thousand would be devastating for both the employees and your company, and would quickly overwhelm the medical resources available in the hospitals and other health care providers in Greeley and surrounding communities,” county officials told JBS in an April 10 order to close the plant, which they gave the company five days to implement.

To Sheriff Tony Thompson, chair of the Emergency Management Commission in Black Hawk County, Iowa, Tyson’s pork plant in the town of Waterloo was a covid-19 hot spot.
Quote:
More than 2,700 people work at the plant, which processes 19,500 hogs a day. When Thompson and other Black Hawk health officials visited the facility on April 10 they saw workers using bandannas and sleep masks, or some were wearing no masks at all. They also saw little evidence of social distancing.

They acknowledged they had at least three employees with covid-positive tests, and then we saw this minimal amount of [personal protective equipment] and no real direct guidance from corporate and plant management on how to utilize it,” Thompson said. “Why on earth would they not be taking greater measures if what they’re telling is true, that their greatest focus is on their employee safety?”
Quote:
Between April 9 and 18, Black Hawk County’s covid-19 case count surged by nearly 900 percent, from 20 to 192.
Local public health officials attribute 90 percent of the total to outbreaks at Tyson.
Quote:
Several big meat companies failed to provide masks to all workers, some of whom said they were told to keep working in crowded plants, Post investigation finds. The actions by three major meat producers — Tyson Foods, JBS USA and Smithfield Foods — continued even after federal guidelines on social distancing and personal protective equipment were published March 9, according to 25 interviews with employees, elected officials, regional health officials, union leaders and federal safety inspectors as well as dozens of documents, including worker complaints filed with local and federal officials.
As they rushed to maintain U.S. meat supply, big processors saw plants become covid-19 hot spots, worker illnesses spike:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...thfield-tyson/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...at-plants-dpa/

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...employers.html

Old 04-28-2020, 04:34 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
We can and we will if we are subjecting workers to places they cannot social distance and workers get sick. In a number of plants, there are dead bodies due to lack of social distancing and safety measures to prevent the spread. No wonder why you pile Trump so much, you both care more about the goddamn economy than the people.

Yeah.

Nope, only if the economy is helped. Trump don't care about lives unless it effects the economy.

I do too and it has gotten better at times. Honestly, it depends on time and the day you go. Weekends are the worst for the stores.
Yesterday I managed to get an 8-pack of paper towels, right after they brought them in from the loading dock on a pallet jack. They didn't even bother to put them on the shelves. Customers just picked them up right off the pallet. Like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Old 04-28-2020, 04:38 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Yesterday I managed to get an 8-pack of paper towels, right after they brought them in from the loading dock on a pallet jack. They didn't even bother to put them on the shelves. Customers just picked them up right off the pallet. Like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
They've had paper towel, kleenex, and napkins the last two times I've gone. It's some housebrand stuff that they never used to carry before so my guess is redirected industrial supply but they've got it. Toilet paper though, haven't seen any of that.

Ahh, the good old days when we were but lads and blithely egged and TPed each other's houses out of boredom when school was out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies