Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 03:12 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
A woman has to provide some kind of evidence that she was raped and the evidence has to be from the time it allegedly happened. Coming forward years or decades later without any evidence is as good as the rape never having happened.

And a woman who falsely accuses a man of a rape needs to serve prison time.

x1000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 03:13 PM

1,378 posts, read 737,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Liberal here. I must admit that I have never been a fan of women coming forward with their stories decades after the alleged rape, sexual assault, groping, etc. I didn't like it when women came forward against Trump after decades. I didn't like it when they came forward against Kavanaugh after decades. And now, I don't like it when they come forward against Biden after decades.

Why wait decades?

Personal story. Years ago, as an engineering manager I was given a few fresh-out-of-college young engineers to train. A couple of guys and a couple of women. One of the women started avoiding me like the plague. I didn't think much of it until someone told me she was accusing me of hitting on her. That was also the day I showed everyone in the office a picture of my husband (I'm male). Came out in the office on that day. The end.

What if one day I decide to run for political office some 20 years later and she comes forward with her story? Would I, a very gay male, be subjected to the same scrutiny?

I'm not saying that these accusations aren't true. I don't know their situations, so I'm not going to say they are false accusations. But I just find it odd that these women waited literally decades to come out and say something.

Can we please as a society promote the idea that if you were raped, assaulted, groped, looked at creepily, or whatever else that you come forward right away? File a police report. Write it down and save the notes. Anything.
The problem is they allow it to happen and then "regret it" later.

So in the time they are into it, don't say no or anything. Afterwards, they have time to reflect, decide that the guy isn't their type, feel disgusted and then feel bad about it.

The problem is that they should say no as soon as something happens. Also some people lie about rape and sexual harassment. I would say its 90/10. There needs to be consequences for those that lie because they not only destroy that person's reputation, but their career as well.

Old 04-29-2020, 03:19 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,128,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
There is so much psychology involved -but in some cases I think power over someone's career path is significant.

I'm always cynical of that kind of accusation.....especially when there is a record of all kinds of random, contradicting statements, stories.
There are a number of factors at play here, that's for sure.

Old 04-29-2020, 03:25 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
Democrats has come face to face with their hypocrisy, Lol.

Poor Joe. Poor Democrats.

I have no doubt Joe did the things he’s accused of doing. He has a long documented history abusing females on camera.

Democrats know they’re in trouble when Alyssa Milano is now supporting the accuser. It’s gonna be interesting. Lol.

Old 04-30-2020, 02:30 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Personal story. Years ago, as an engineering manager I was given a few fresh-out-of-college young engineers to train. A couple of guys and a couple of women. One of the women started avoiding me like the plague. I didn't think much of it until someone told me she was accusing me of hitting on her. That was also the day I showed everyone in the office a picture of my husband (I'm male). Came out in the office on that day. The end.
Some people are differently twisted. I mean totally whacked.

Those people interpret your acknowledgement of their existence as you're in love with them.

That's how totally whacked they are.

Others are manipulators. That's what they do, manipulate people to their own advantage and they'll concoct a variety of schemes to do that.

I've always encouraged clients to use psychological testing to weed out people like that. Sure, they're expensive, but if you save money tracking down and exposing an embezzler, or defending against a bogus sexual harassment, sexual or racial discrimination claim, or you hired a moron who loves to sexually or racially harass and discriminate and you end up in court because of that moron, or someone who'll fake an injury and drain your worker's comp account, it's worth it.

$235 for a test, or $235,000 plus attorney fees to settle a false claim, or $2.5 Million plus attorney fees to settle a real claim or $800,000 in worker's comp? It's a no-brainer.

Quote:
What if one day I decide to run for political office some 20 years later and she comes forward with her story? Would I, a very gay male, be subjected to the same scrutiny?
Yes, because they'll claim you're a latent bi-sexual. I would hate to think how much it would cost for you to track down and interview every woman you ever met, because that's pretty much what you'd have to to do.

Old 04-30-2020, 02:42 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron99 View Post
The problem is they allow it to happen and then "regret it" later.

So in the time they are into it, don't say no or anything. Afterwards, they have time to reflect, decide that the guy isn't their type, feel disgusted and then feel bad about it.

The problem is that they should say no as soon as something happens. Also some people lie about rape and sexual harassment. I would say its 90/10. There needs to be consequences for those that lie because they not only destroy that person's reputation, but their career as well.
When you were raped, did you say no?

Old 04-30-2020, 02:54 PM

11,792 posts, read 5,798,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Your perspective is still a male perspective, regardless of your sexual orientation. Women don't come forward because society blames them. They don't come forward because they blame themselves. They don't come forward because they feel ashamed. They don't come forward because they don't want anyone to know what happened. They don't come forward because it impacts every aspect of their lives. People see them differently. They don't come forward because they are afraid of reprisals. They don't come forward because they don't want to face their rapist in court, they don't want authorities questioning them, they don't want their past sexual history to become an issue.

There's a tremendous amount of pressure to stay silent, and most women do.

Some women feel empowered by the metoo movement, and feel like they have an obligation to speak out, even decades later.
Quit making excuses because he's a male. I'm female and abhor all these women coming back 10,20,30 after the fact. Sorry there is no reason to wait until someone is rich or powerful. I've had 2 instances in my life where I was sexually harassed and one where I said no and he didn't listen. My time to speak up was then - not 10, 20 yrs down the road.

And yes we'll also probably disagree that I believe women need to be responsible and not put themselves in certain situations that may lead to them getting manhandled or raped.

Old 04-30-2020, 03:26 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
And yes we'll also probably disagree that I believe women need to be responsible and not put themselves in certain situations that may lead to them getting manhandled or raped.
The term I use for that is contributory negligence. Sure, the guy that you (the general "you," not the poster I'm quoting) just met at a bar, and then went back to his apartment with while you were sloshed out of your mind, shouldn't have raped you. That's on him, and he's 100 percent at fault for the actual rape. But your own blatant irresponsibility set the stage that made the assault possible.

Old 04-30-2020, 03:29 PM

21,939 posts, read 9,508,101 times
I really don't care when they come forward as long as they have EVIDENCE. Say it with me Dems. E-V-I-D-E-N-C-E.

Old 04-30-2020, 03:30 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Why restrict it to women?

Why did so many boys wait decades to report talk about what the priest did? The baseball coach? Name the male authority figure.

1 word. Shame.

Then who will the public believe. Little Tommy or Father Joseph, pillar of the community?

Victims tend to blame themselves first. Second guessing their own actions.

Let's talk abuse in general. How many wives report their abusive spouses?

How many children report their parents?

Why not? Shame. They blame themselves.

Now I don't believe every allegation is true. I know that not every true allegation can be proven.

I know a person who was horribly abused as a child. The neighbors knew what was going on and ignored it. Now why would that person ever believe that the police would believe him? His teachers didn't.

Look what happened to Bill Clinton's accusers.....

That's why people don't come forward. It hurt bad enough when they were being abused, they carry that shame with them. Who wants to add public shaming to it?
I believe this 100%. The very best we can do is just evaluate each case on it's own merits.

There is no ONE good answer that fits every situation.

I raised a little boy - the thought of a priest abusing him and threatening him to silence - ENRAGES me to no end. Should there be a statute of limitations on that?

I don't know.

These are very hard questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies