Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 07:52 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
I’m in no hurry to go back out. Gotten used to doing more cooking. Better on the wallet.
Same here.

But it's definitely transitioning towards a new normal and the economy will be forced to adjust. Uncle Sam is going to get much bigger and bolder to cushion this blow and it's not going to make the small government folks happy anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 07:53 AM

17,623 posts, read 6,908,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The time has come to blame it all on Democrats......

Its mandated by the pseudo-conservative play-book.......
I blame this in China primarily. But the ongoing, unnecessary lockdowns are the fault of Democrat politicians, Democrat journalists, and Democrat voters.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:55 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,391,086 times
Quote:
What’s it matter where it came from?

Hint: it doesn’t.
Since we were intentionally infected, it matters.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:55 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
I blame this in China primarily. But the ongoing, unnecessary lockdowns are the fault of Democrat politicians, Democrat journalists, and Democrat voters.
It solves nothing but even if you blame China - let's say they told us all up front. I bet we wouldn't have taken it as seriously as we should. Nobody expected this to happen in our lifetime - until it does. We have nothing set up to deal with this. Government has not been invested in for decades instead we constantly have asked for tax cuts and to run a deficit. So what would you expect?

Old 04-29-2020, 07:57 AM

25,571 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:

I think it matters a great deal where it came from and I think the activities of those first victims in China matters. I think the activities of Wolrd Health Organization matters, too. If we continue to do business with China and ignore what WHO did, it may well happen again. With our money!

Old 04-29-2020, 08:00 AM

17,623 posts, read 6,908,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I think it matters a great deal where it came from and I think the activities of those first victims in China matters. I think the activities of Wolrd Health Organization matters, too. If we continue to do business with China and ignore what WHO did, it may well happen again. With our money!
Agree 100%.

Two things that we've got to address after this is over: #1 - We need to stop our dependency on China for most things, but especially for medical supplies, pharmaceuticals, and electronics. #2 - We need to revisit the degree of authority and power government authorities are allowed to exercise in "emergencies." No government officials should have the ability to unilaterally prevent people from leaving their homes and supporting their families for months on end.

Old 04-29-2020, 08:00 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Doubt we'll recover in May/June.

Even if you lift restrictions like right now in Georgia, people are still very hesitant to go out and spend even near normal levels. Demand is going to take a huge hit since consumer spending is 70% of the GDP.

Have to drive consumer confidence through massive testing and infection control measures throughout all areas of the country is the only way until we get a vaccine.
I believe we will begin recover shortly. The rate of layoffs will reverse and re-hiring will begin, and people will spend money again after being held hostage in their homes. The turn-around might be quicker than you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Of course you do. Blame-game and credit taking is the very foundation of pseudo-conservative mind-set.

As of today, most States are still locked down (red and blue), while some have reopened partially (red and blue) and the most of the rest are planning to re-open after this week (red and blue). Some of the hot-spots will extend, which is common sense.

But don't let facts get in the say of pessimism & partisanship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
It solves nothing but even if you blame China - let's say they told us all up front. I bet we wouldn't have taken it as seriously as we should. Nobody expected this to happen in our lifetime - until it does.
Right. Pandemics don't become a big deal, until they spread and become a big deal. That's the nature of the beast. Yes, it originated from China, and some people are very upset the name is Covid-19 and not "China Virus", but that only shows how childish people have become.

Old 04-29-2020, 08:08 AM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:

Hint: It matters a lot. See the article below and the quote.

If it had come from Germany or South Korea for example it would have been indentified publically sooner, it's ease of transmission would have been disclosed much earlier and the death toll wouldn't have been covered up by a factor of 10. The entire world would have reacted sooner and better if not for China's cover-ups.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...avirus/609820/

Quote:
tweet from the WHO account on January 14: “Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel #coronavirus.” That same day, the Wuhan Health Commission’s public bulletin declared, “We have not found proof for human-to-human transmission.” But by that point even the Chinese government was offering caveats not included in the WHO tweet. “The possibility of limited human-to-human transmission cannot be excluded,” the bulletin said, “but the risk of sustained transmission is low.”

Old 04-29-2020, 08:13 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
WHO had test kits. We’re the idiots that didn’t want them. The WHO declared it a pandemic a month before (in January) when idiot-in-chief tweeted we had it under control... clearly a lie. The blame is with our leadership. The WHO could always done it better, but they’re not our government leaders and you don’t have them getting on tv regularly making false statements.

While it’s unlikely we’ll know exactly how China handled it they locked down people a lot more than we are.

Old 04-29-2020, 08:14 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The coronavirus pandemic is likely to trigger the sharpest recession in the United States since the Great Depression. An early signal of that came Wednesday, when the Commerce Department said the economy shrank at a 4.8% annual rate in the first three months of the year — the first quarterly contraction since 2014 and the largest since the Great Recession.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...-worst-to-come
That's very interesting. Trump did not admit that COVID was a serious threat until March 16th, so these numbers really reflect the Trump Economy BEFORE COVID, if you believe Trump (the guy who only says what he means).

He'll have to work overtime to spin this as a COVID related shrinkage, or more likely, he'll have to rewrite history (as he already has tried) and get people to believe that he actually was on-board with the seriousness of COVID when the rest of the world, the doctors and scientists were already saying it.

Of course his base already believes the latter, even though there are numerous documentations of his quotes and timelines stating factually to the contrary.

This is just another example, of many, that shows that either his economy was weak, or his leadership on COVID was weak. It has to be one of the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies