Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 12:19 PM

20,457 posts, read 12,373,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto Jeff View Post
As long as the science is solid, yes. I do believe it.
if we got in a time machine and traveled back 40 years, and said that to a scientist, you would get laughed out of the room.

science solid? that is a political term. it isn't a science term .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 12:26 PM

14,215 posts, read 4,586,282 times
I work for US Customs and there are 20,000 of us assigned to international airport, seaport, and land border POEs all over the country. Prior to the shelter in place/lockdown, a CBP officer at a busy POE easily processes 200+ returning travelers each day in 10 hour shift. That is A LOT of potential exposure to the virus. Yet, there are only 160 infected cases with CBP and zero death that i know of. Add to that the virus started in China in late last year when it was busy busy travel seasons (thanksgiving, christmas, and chinese new year) for CBP to process travelers.

Yet, we only have 160 people infected out of 20,000?

Old 04-29-2020, 12:33 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,872,571 times
Hi Bob, excellent post, and reasonably stated, a rarity around here.

First, let me just say that no one has all the answers - no one. As others have stated, it's "new" and the research is ongoing. There are no "for sures" - except: The older you are, the worse your odds. We also know: It's contagious. Not everyone has symptoms. And you can die. As far as "facts" go - that's about it.

Your numbers are probably low. Best guess right now - something like 10 to 50 million people are infected. Maybe more. Why so high? Why so few dead? A couple of reasons - at 60K dead, and a .1% death rate - that's 60 million infected. I (personally) think it's higher than 0.1%, because New York has too many dead for their population size, but that's neither here nor there. Numbers say it can be 60 million, but probably less.

Now - to spread it - you need someone else who is not infected. For most "essential" workers - you have two possibilities: The place practices good PPE and monitoring measures, is self-conscious, washes and disinfects regularly, keeps people apart, and so on. Those people may not deal with the public (like me) and so I see the same group every single day (when I'm not at home - lots of "essential" people are at home). Keep in mind that - if you're going to get over it - you will do so in about 14 days (average). It means lots of these "better kept" folks aren't getting sick, and those that were asymptomatic carriers are over it, and so now the situation is more tolerant of lazy mask wearers.

Then ya got the other half: Home depot. Lowes. Etc. This - to be sure - is a small part of the retail world - and malls, for instance, are closed. So - your typical home depot - can't rely on those kids to be following the rules. Sorry. They're not. I know several. No rules. Rebels. Assume they are infected. Now, you're a customer:

You might get infected if: You get near a sick person AND they get their germs on you. MOST Of these retail folks are wearing masks to limit their spread. SOME of the customers are as well. Transfer by touch is less common - by breath/sneeze/cough/droplets - more common. As a result - I've been to home depot several times. I do not know for sure - but I doubt I'm infected. Why? Because I never got within 20 feet of an employee. Self-checkout. Hand sanitizer. Easy.

Now - back to your question: "Why don't we see the number of infections predicted?"

We do. It's probably 30 to 50 million, or will be. At 0.2 or 0.3% - that's 100K to 200K dead. And that's where we're headed. Roughly. It all adds up fine - no contradictions.

Now - what if ALL retail were open? What if there were Disney? Sports? NBA? NHL? School? What if no one washed and no one wore a mask? What if no one "assumed" they were ill - and then visited gramma? Do you think that the number of infected would go UP? Or Down? Self-answering...and explains the INITIAL guess at # of dead.

For all the folks that "don't believe anything xxx tells me" - the gov't, the internet - whatever - that's fine - but your lone alternative is to read and understand the research reports - the formulas - the math - the science - REALLY understand it. Other than that: Everything you've been told is from the gov't. The dr's. are using gov't. information - because that's the only place they can get it. The statisticians, the data, the analysis - all of it - every single part if it - is provided from the gov't. at some level - so please - by all means - don't believe it. But don't make up your own stuff either. Just sit quietly by and do your best.

PS - if anyone's gonna flame me for going to Home Depot, please google SUMP PUMP and FLOOD.

Old 04-29-2020, 12:39 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
We were told for weeks that cats and dogs can't catch it.

I am sorry, I was paying little attention to what "we were told."
Say back in February I had a conversation with someone working for the local county in the Health department.
And she told me that "yes, they are alerting us to what's coming," giving the instructions and all, but by the sound of it ( from what she was saying) it was perceived as just another harsh flu season, with standard approach and procedures.

But while I was listening to that doctor in the video I posted earlier, and observing what was taking place in China, it was clear to me that what was taking place was nothing "standard."

Far away from it.
What threw me off, ( in terms of perceiving it as upcoming danger here in the US,) was the lack of immediate outbreak in the neighboring Russia, with a long-stretched, and very porous border.

So I thought that this pandemic was specific and limited to Asian regions only, sort of like some outbreaks take place in Africa.

So it was definitely not your "regular flu," and since it was something different, it didn't make much sense to me to follow what the officials were saying, regarding pets including.

I think they just ASSUMED initially that pets were not affected, since nothing pronounced or dangerous was going on on that front right away.

So they are only LEARNING new things about this virus as they go.

Old 04-29-2020, 12:44 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times
Quote:
We were told for weeks that cats and dogs can't catch it.
Actually, it was said there is no evidence of such, that is different than "cannot".

Old 04-29-2020, 12:49 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
I don't believe most of what I hear on the TV. Statistically the data doesn't add up, throwing numbers out from computer models. They might as well use a crystal ball.

Old 04-29-2020, 12:57 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,542,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
if we got in a time machine and traveled back 40 years, and said that to a scientist, you would get laughed out of the room.

science solid? that is a political term. it isn't a science term .

Yep. Scientific consensus. They all agree on the terminology and it magically becomes SCIENCE!

Old 04-29-2020, 12:59 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
So you believe everything that you're told about Covid-19?
Of course not, Bob.

I reject every single thing coming from ignorant bs sources.

Yeah, you know what I'm talkin' about.

Old 04-29-2020, 01:28 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Hi Bob, excellent post, and reasonably stated, a rarity around here.

First, let me just say that no one has all the answers - no one. As others have stated, it's "new" and the research is ongoing. There are no "for sures" - except: The older you are, the worse your odds. We also know: It's contagious. Not everyone has symptoms. And you can die. As far as "facts" go - that's about it.

Your numbers are probably low. Best guess right now - something like 10 to 50 million people are infected. Maybe more. Why so high? Why so few dead? A couple of reasons - at 60K dead, and a .1% death rate - that's 60 million infected. I (personally) think it's higher than 0.1%, because New York has too many dead for their population size, but that's neither here nor there. Numbers say it can be 60 million, but probably less.

Now - to spread it - you need someone else who is not infected. For most "essential" workers - you have two possibilities: The place practices good PPE and monitoring measures, is self-conscious, washes and disinfects regularly, keeps people apart, and so on. Those people may not deal with the public (like me) and so I see the same group every single day (when I'm not at home - lots of "essential" people are at home). Keep in mind that - if you're going to get over it - you will do so in about 14 days (average). It means lots of these "better kept" folks aren't getting sick, and those that were asymptomatic carriers are over it, and so now the situation is more tolerant of lazy mask wearers.

Then ya got the other half: Home depot. Lowes. Etc. This - to be sure - is a small part of the retail world - and malls, for instance, are closed. So - your typical home depot - can't rely on those kids to be following the rules. Sorry. They're not. I know several. No rules. Rebels. Assume they are infected. Now, you're a customer:

You might get infected if: You get near a sick person AND they get their germs on you. MOST Of these retail folks are wearing masks to limit their spread. SOME of the customers are as well. Transfer by touch is less common - by breath/sneeze/cough/droplets - more common. As a result - I've been to home depot several times. I do not know for sure - but I doubt I'm infected. Why? Because I never got within 20 feet of an employee. Self-checkout. Hand sanitizer. Easy.

Now - back to your question: "Why don't we see the number of infections predicted?"

We do. It's probably 30 to 50 million, or will be. At 0.2 or 0.3% - that's 100K to 200K dead. And that's where we're headed. Roughly. It all adds up fine - no contradictions.

Now - what if ALL retail were open? What if there were Disney? Sports? NBA? NHL? School? What if no one washed and no one wore a mask? What if no one "assumed" they were ill - and then visited gramma? Do you think that the number of infected would go UP? Or Down? Self-answering...and explains the INITIAL guess at # of dead.

For all the folks that "don't believe anything xxx tells me" - the gov't, the internet - whatever - that's fine - but your lone alternative is to read and understand the research reports - the formulas - the math - the science - REALLY understand it. Other than that: Everything you've been told is from the gov't. The dr's. are using gov't. information - because that's the only place they can get it. The statisticians, the data, the analysis - all of it - every single part if it - is provided from the gov't. at some level - so please - by all means - don't believe it. But don't make up your own stuff either. Just sit quietly by and do your best.

PS - if anyone's gonna flame me for going to Home Depot, please google SUMP PUMP and FLOOD.

I had to go to Home Depot last week to pick up some stuff for work.

About 150 cars in the parking lot and at least that many people walking around inside.

No hand sanitizer at the doors or employees wiping down carts.

There was only one checkout with an actual clerk.....

The rest were self checkouts with scanner guns that you had to pick up and scan your items with yourself......the same guns everyone else in front of you was using.

Then you paid through a touch screen debit card reader. And had to punch in your pin on the same pad everyone else was.

Again..... nobody wiping things down.

As far as manufacturing goes........

Im a tech rep for a chemical company and have to visit our manufacturing customers regularly.

Many have no "plan" for dealing with the virus and only about 10% of the employees are wearing masks or gloves and many aren't following social distancing rules either. (To be fair, it would make some of their jobs impossible to preform).

And none of my customers have any reported cases.

So unfortunately, what you describe in theory isn't what I'm seeing out there in the real world.

All people are asking for is a little bit of logical consistency in what they're being told.

Old 04-29-2020, 01:36 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,227,987 times
With the amount of poverty India has and how crowded it is I'm in shock how the death toll is so low for now.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...cid=spartanntp

Deaths should be in the hundreds of thousands if not million. But the average age is under 29 so youth definitely plays a huge part fighting this off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies