Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 03:20 PM

27,534 posts, read 15,975,765 times

Advertisements

I called BS when i heard that producers are destroying crops and animals. Now im not sure. Anyone have direct information?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T2ortQpF-5I&t=124s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 04:46 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,107,702 times
direct info? We know one Maryland chicken grower euthanized 2-3MM fully-grown chickens because the processor (guessing Tyson, as big as they are in MD) was closed. That was, IIRC, .3% of Delmarva's annual chicken production.

Old 04-30-2020, 04:48 PM

45,043 posts, read 26,201,042 times
Yes its that or continue to feed them $$$

Wasnt really a well though out idea to scare people out of their jobs. Maybe empty food stores will convince some of you.

Old 04-30-2020, 06:34 PM

8,045 posts, read 3,381,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yes its that or continue to feed them $$$

Wasnt really a well though out idea to scare people out of their jobs. Maybe empty food stores will convince some of you.
A lot of people don't understand how fragile the food system can be, even when you explain it to them.

Old 04-30-2020, 06:36 PM

29,666 posts, read 24,710,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
A lot of people don't understand how fragile the food system can be, even when you explain it to them.

The hunger pangs will put things into perspective. Hope it doesn't come to that

Old 04-30-2020, 11:02 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,899,992 times
There is a great deal of concern here in rural SW Colorado. Meat packing plants elsewhere in Colorado have been forced to cull some of their stock as demand has been reduced in various markets. The price of both sheep (lamb) and beef have gone into a decline and there is much uncertainty as to how long this will go on. I live on a ranch that produces both hay and alfalfa for the big feedlots up North where some large meat processing plants have been forced to close due to high rates of coronavirus infection among the workers.

Throw in the fact that this part of rural America has been suffering from a years long drought, and it can be difficult to find a farmer or stock man who feels very optimistic about the near future.

Old 05-01-2020, 12:28 AM

29,183 posts, read 22,199,322 times
I have direct information.
Idaho spud farmers are dumping their unsold potatoes out of the cellars and letting anyone who wants them come get all they want.

There's no way the farmers have to ship them off to where food shortages exist. Someone has to stand the cost of shipping, and trucking is restricted now from one state to another. The drivers are quarantined in some areas just like the rest of us.

There is at least one way all the food that can't get from farm to where its needed- the military could be put to use doing it, just as they are used after hurricanes, floods and other natural catastrophies.

The military are great supply experts; they know how to do it fast and they have all the equipment to accomplish it. All they need are orders from above.

But that demands federal organization and response, and neither is forthcoming from the White House, where emergency orders originate, nor from Congress, where those orders are funded.

Potatoes aren't the only crops going to waste. Dairy, fresh produce, citrus, and all the early harvests that are now underway suddenly have no means of distribution any more. Our grain crops will soon follow.

Old 05-01-2020, 01:37 AM

17,651 posts, read 13,492,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
direct info? We know one Maryland chicken grower euthanized 2-3MM fully-grown chickens because the processor (guessing Tyson, as big as they are in MD) was closed. That was, IIRC, .3% of Delmarva's annual chicken production.
Maryland is Perdue country.

Old 05-01-2020, 05:34 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,686,101 times
Yes they are.....
https://www.agriculture.com/markets/...t-produce-meat

https://www.mankatofreepress.com/new...316fa259c.html

Old 05-01-2020, 05:49 AM

15,905 posts, read 6,692,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
I called BS when i heard that producers are destroying crops and animals. Now im not sure. Anyone have direct information?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T2ortQpF-5I&t=124s
Like it or hate it,the following is only my opinion:

If the government is paying me to euthanize
my farm animals while people are going hungry
I'd rather donate them to the public and hire a
very smart accountant.

Bottleneck or no bottleneck......No excuse to starve a population ...............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies