Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 07:39 PM

121 posts, read 63,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Oh, okay. I'm sorry I misread that. In that case, yes, and it's not unusual to have all kinds of weird comments come out on that platform.
Haha no problem. It's just funny because people in the actual video were super nice, and then everybody in the comments was like " yeah right. this is not what they really think. everybody i know is way more critical of them." Kind of mean. I don't know, if I was American it would hurt my feelings a little
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 07:43 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,130,370 times
Why do so many immigrants want to live in a country full of superficial people?

Old 04-30-2020, 07:43 PM

27,534 posts, read 15,991,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouringsunshine View Post
Haha no the people in the actual video were super nice. The people in the comments are who I'm referring to.
Those comments were probably from self loathing Americans, guessing lefties.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:45 PM

15,750 posts, read 7,534,989 times
Quote:
"Most Americans don't have a clue of the world around them. "They are openhearted and kind" because they can't analyze and critique, they just jump into things cause everything is fun and entertainment for them. Europeans or anyone else is more reserved cause they can "think" and evaluate other cultures, so when they are "open and kindhearted", it's for good reason and for REAL. "People go to the states as refugees,immigrants" cause america is a huge land mass, not millions could flock to a smaller country where they can make "dollars", and america is ruled by 1% that includes conglomerates,brain drain that keeps it wealthy. All the americans that I've known are so boringly similar in their thinking, talking ; the fact there exists a word like "American Idiot" is not in vain, there is a song called like that by Greenday, check it out I've seen only a couple of americans who can think for themselves with a bit of knowledge. And yes, I haven't seen a group of people who are into all sorts of bulls**t as americans are. It's a culture of affirmations (idiots pampering each other basically) : "hey man, it's great! , you're so kind! Love ya! ,"enjoy the sun!" is the deepest conversation you can go with an 'merican. Fakeness and no REAL connection."

These are just a few examples of what I meant there are many more
Are they trying to say that Europeans are not raised to have manners?

Old 04-30-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Why do so many immigrants want to live in a country full of superficial people?
I have no idea, all I know is that the people in the comments were saying stuff like "I would NEVER want to live there" lol. Someone responded to the immigration thing saying they move for business reasons.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:47 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,545,277 times
The responders demonstrated a sound grasp of the English language.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:48 PM

6,081 posts, read 4,570,407 times
Quote:
Haha no problem. It's just funny because people in the actual video were super nice, and then everybody in the comments was like " yeah right. this is not what they really think. everybody i know is way more critical of them." Kind of mean. I don't know, if I was American it would hurt my feelings a little
I think it's because Americans are sometimes pretty brash with each other and so people have been desensitized to those kinds of comments. Actually, I wish America were a more polite culture than it sometimes is.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:48 PM

18,423 posts, read 15,160,725 times
Quote:
I was watching a video on youtube (I'm going to try and link it later,) and it was about what Europeans thought of Americans. They were really nice but then the people under the video were all so awful towards American people! I couldn't believe how judgmental they were (most if not all of them were Europeans like me.)
The most common theme I noticed was the assumption that all Americans are very "superficial" and lack cultural as well as emotional depth. A certain person stated that the "furthest anyone can get" in terms of depth with an American person is them telling you "you're so kind!", "enjoy the sun" and "love ya", and then he/she said there's no room for real connection because Americans simply do not have any depth and are the epitome of "fake."
I am curious as to what people's opinions are regarding this? Is it true? Is it just a dumb stereotype? Why do people think is?
More importantly why this need to be judgmental towards others? After reading all those comment I could surmise that Europeans are a bunch of pretentious judgmental snobs but I know better than to make assumptions.
My person opinion: People are people regardless of where they are from. People are not their governments and while there is cultural common ground within each nation, personality is distinctive and not determined by nationality or any other factor. It's simply a primitive attribute that makes us who we are.

Feel free to read the comments but I wouldn't if you're easily offended.
Unfortunately, a psychological need to feel superior to other people, seems to be part of the human condition. In order to achieve this, we convince ourselves of all kinds of things about “other” people, whether based in reality or not.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:50 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,889,289 times
Europeans drag out good-byes forever like they have to let you down easy for some reason

I say "have a nice day" but what I really mean is "hey butthole this conversation if over"

Old 04-30-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The responders demonstrated a sound grasp of the English language.
You weren't being sarcastic right? Because I thought their English was fantastic! (referring to the people in the actual video.) It's mainly because all Western European countries have English as a mandatory course in schools. You have to take it, whereas languages like Spanish, German and French are the optional ones (well, unless you are from there lol). However, in Eastern countries like Russia, the use of English is subpar because it isn't a requirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies