Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2020, 06:05 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,054,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Lots of women today seem pretty dissatisfied with society and their own lives. Are they really happier than women were in the 1950s? I remain skeptical...

No, women in the 1950s were much happier, fulfilling their biological role as moms and wives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 06:07 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,229,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I know that but when some people bash the '50s, they don't realize the same problems were around well before that decade.
People aren't "bashing" that era... we're challenging the rose-colored perceptions of that era as being inherently better or worse for women.

Old 05-01-2020, 06:12 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,838,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
No, women in the 1950s were much happier, fulfilling their biological role as moms and wives.
And men were much happier, marrying at 20 or 22 and being the sole providers for their families during the working/child-raising years and after retirement (?). Men had much more responsibility at much younger ages.

Old 05-01-2020, 06:16 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,303,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
The divorce rate has been declining for years. It would have been much higher in that time if it had been practical, but unfortunately, most women who wanted out were stuck in unhappy and abusive relationships with no way out, very few rights and no way to earn a living. The hunky-dory 50's myth is just that, a myth.
Divorce rate is still much higher than in the '50s. As is unwed mothers/illegitimate children. People back in the '50s were more likely to save their marriage.

The '50s were a "terrible" decade is also a myth.

Old 05-01-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Oh, come on, now. The main reason LOTS of marriages in the past didn't end in divorce is because women were financially dependent on their husbands. Most women had few skills (as did many men, but they could work in factories and construction) and it was very difficult for them to be hired for decently-paying jobs.
Also because they worked harder to save their marriage instead of divorcing at the drop of a hat. BTW, my mom did work in a factory. Assembling radios. She also worked at Packard Bell.

Quote:
If anything, long-term marriages today are happier today than were long-term marriages in the past.
How do you know that?

Old 05-01-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Divorce rate is still much higher than in the '50s. People back in the '50s were more likely to save their marriage.
Hasn't this already been addressed? Do you really think people were happier in their marriages then, or do you think the fact that women had little chance to support themselves might have something to do with the fact that there were fewer divorces?

Just because a marriage doesn't end in divorce doesn't mean it's a happy marriage.

Old 05-01-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
In the 50s women had no choice but to get married and find a man to support them since they were not allowed to work and had minimal legal rights.
Where did you get that idea? You really think women were not allowed to work?

All my Aunts (married or unmarried) DID work. Even my grandmother worked.

Old 05-01-2020, 06:27 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,877,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
The 50s are very often portrayed as the worst decade for women in all of history, but was it? Yes, I understand things were a lot more "traditional" back then but do the 50s for women really deserve all the hate it gets?
Ahhhhh this is a thread that get folks going.

For the Day? Stay at home moms were the norm. I would say that it is all relative. We certainly had less mass shootings. Mom's had a huge influence over their children. More so than today. I'm a 60's and 70's child. My mother played catch with me more than my dad did early on. Later when I was older 10 or 11 he liked to play because I had some heat. We all learned to can food from my mother. Make cookies, hell how to cook in general. That's the advantage of a stay at home mother.

So were the 50's bad for women? Maybe to some, but certainly not all. Most of my female co-workers used to say that they wished that they could afford to be stay at home moms. They remembered how their moms were and wished that they could be the same.

Old 05-01-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
And?
And there are many myths about the '50s. Like that poster who claimed women were "not allowed to work."

Quote:
Does the experience of the women you know equate to every woman’s experience? Does the experience of the women you know make the legal status of women irrelevant?
Does your experience with the women you know validate the claim that the '50s were "terrible" for women?

Quote:
And I’m not “bashing” or “anti” the 50’s - how can you even be “anti” a decade? My post stated historical facts. If you think historical facts are “bashing” because they aren’t relevant to your mother’s personal narrative that’s a you problem.
Oh, it's very possible. And those "historical facts" many times are more like inaccurate claims.

Old 05-01-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Also because they worked harder to save their marriage instead of divorcing at the drop of a hat. BTW, my mom did work in a factory. Assembling radios. She also worked at Packard Bell.

How do you know that?
How do you know that^?

My paternal grandmother was a 1940s/1950s housewife. Stayed married to my grandfather for about 40 years until he died. Probably never would have even considered divorce.

When I was in my early 20s, about 10 years after my grandfather died, I asked her if she ever missed him. I knew that they hadn't had an ideal marriage but I wasn't prepared for what she said: "No. I was sick of his drinking, and I'm glad I don't have to deal with it anymore. But..I never had to work; at least I can say that."

I have to add here that my grandfather wasn't an abusive man in any way. Yes, he often drank too much, but he was a happy drunk, and even my dad, who chose to distance himself from his dad, said that my grandfather was a very loving, affectionate man.

The idea of going out and working was worse to my grandmother than was staying married to a man she neither loved nor respected. I was astonished by this.

I'll bet there were plenty of marriages like my grandparents' marriage. If that's "happy," I'll happily do without that kind of "happiness."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies