Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2020, 02:57 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,501,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I will agree with you that the polarization that started increasing under Obama definitely has gotten worse over the last few years. I see a lot of "you leftists" and "you liberals" posts that have little to nothing to do with politics in the first place. Someone robbed a store? Must be one of "those liberals." Someone shoots up a school? Quick, see what political affiliation he has and then blame all of the liberals/conservatives and gloat if it wasn't your party. Something bad happen in NYC or L.A.? Good, "those liberals" deserve it for choosing to live in a populated area. (Though I don't see the opposite when a tornado wipes out a community in rural Oklahoma....) A group of armed or unarmed people are blocking traffic... are they good guys or bad guys? You need to read what their signs say first before deciding. Which team are they on, blue or red? What color is their skin? Who did they likely vote for?

So to be clear and to get back on track, no, "the leftists" and "the liberals" don't, in general, feel that women should not stay home with their children. They believe that they should have the CHOICE, just like you do. If liberals believe that women should have the choice and conservatives believe that women should have the choice, then I'm not seeing what the issue is. Outside of the fringiest of the fringe, nobody thinks that women should not be allowed to work or that they should not be allowed to stay home with their babies/toddlers/teenagers. And yes, we have a few posters on this forum who think women shouldn't be allowed to work or vote, and we probably have some who think women are doing the sex a disservice by choosing to stay home. But those are outliers.
Your first paragraph is complaining about all the “you liberals” posts, but let’s not ignore all the venom being shoveled BY liberals against conservatives. I’ve heard everything from Nazis, to Hitler supporters, to morons, to rednecks in flyover country, and all sorts of put downs and insults.

As far as the second paragraph, well then....we both agree that women should be free to stay home with their kids if they so choose.But what about women whose husbands earn enough that they don’t have to go back to work at all? Are they free to continue to do that, and focus their efforts on preparing nice meals, doing the laundry, taking care of household errands, etc.? Is that acceptable as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2020, 02:58 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post

But at least you could raise a family with a single income.

People can do that now, too. They just have to let go of the idea that everyone needs a big screen TV in their room, the latest, greatest smart phones/tablets/laptops/etc. for all, expensive trips, a subscription to every streaming service available, and a brand new vehicle with the latest gimmicky gadgets making it a rolling computer.

Old 05-02-2020, 03:17 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,725,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Your first paragraph is complaining about all the “you liberals” posts, but let’s not ignore all the venom being shoveled BY liberals against conservatives. I’ve heard everything from Nazis, to Hitler supporters, to morons, to rednecks in flyover country, and all sorts of put downs and insults.

As far as the second paragraph, well then....we both agree that women should be free to stay home with their kids if they so choose.But what about women whose husbands earn enough that they don’t have to go back to work at all? Are they free to continue to do that, and focus their efforts on preparing nice meals, doing the laundry, taking care of household errands, etc.? Is that acceptable as well?
Yes, of course... who cares what someone does in their own home?

I actually would not mind working while my husband stays home and cleans, cooks, and does errands. That's what we've been doing for about the past month (because of covid) and hey, it works for us. (He will be going back to work in a week or two... but maybe in the future we will work that out long-term!)

Old 05-02-2020, 03:45 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,501,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Yes, of course... who cares what someone does in their own home?

I actually would not mind working while my husband stays home and cleans, cooks, and does errands. That's what we've been doing for about the past month (because of covid) and hey, it works for us. (He will be going back to work in a week or two... but maybe in the future we will work that out long-term!)
Yay. We agree on something. It is not up to US to say how other people choose to arrange their marriages. (Me, personally....I'd be bored being at home, without any kids, but that's just me.)

Old 05-02-2020, 03:59 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We had a “modern” clothes washer and dryer, at the end of the 50s, but before that it was a wringer washer and a clothes line. Mothers spent all day ironing the clothes. I understand why you might consider this mind numbing, but I know that my mother took great pride in sending us kids to school in nice clean, ironed clothes. Some people find satisfaction and accomplishment in different ways.
I also send my kid to school in nice, clean, unwrinkled (no need for an iron - got a lovely dryer, thank goodness) clothes. Or my husband does. We both do the laundry. Thank god I don’t have to spend all day ironing. I’ve got a business to run.

I’m quite familiar with a wringer. I got my thumb stuck in one when I was 8, helping with the wash. Which also took all day.

Old 05-02-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Neofeminists hate the family unit. They view loving and caring for each other as a waste of time.
Nonsense. Our family unit is going strong, as are most people’s I know. I don’t know how having options in the workplace precludes loving and caring for your family.

Old 05-02-2020, 04:09 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,985,438 times
The family structure was the most stable and prosperous when men were head of the household, women stayed home and kids were actually parented and instilled with values (once the women went for careers that’s when the household went to crap. These are FACTS). Yea this is true. But at the same time, we didn’t have the economic mess and boards of sociopaths running everything back in the 50s. Would the 1950s model be the most optimal? Yes. But thing need to change in the country to get it back to that. #1. Get all the buts out of politics and get rid of unchecked corporate greed and corruption.

I'll tell the facts because Im an old late 30s millennial that never had kids. I have no dog in this fight. But facts are facts. The 1950s model IS the most optimal for the present and future. Both parents working and worried only about "leveling up" their careers, the Kids ultimately suffer and more times than not their mind goes haywire because of the dysfunction this causes

Old 05-02-2020, 04:16 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,732,744 times
Equal rights and feminism were largely scoffed at and rarely taken seriously in those days. Women had significantly fewer possibilities in life. The game was all about finding a husband, having kids and being the good little housewife. Very few women wanted anything else out of life.

And then there's this: Gains in women’s rights haven't made women happier. Why is that?

Psychology is a strange animal, but I think it makes perfect sense. For the entirety of human evolutionary, the drive to find a big strong man for a protector and making lots of babies has been naturally selected. Those that make lots of babies pass their genes on generation after generation. The genes of those that do not are dead ended and rapidly cease to exist. Women are biologically predisposed to prioritize husband, children and family above everything. We live in a society that having a family isn't that important and careers should be a much bigger priority. By accepting and living this in direct contradiction to what their own genetics and biologies are telling them, liberated women everywhere are really just making themselves miserable.

I would add that it's how God made us, but even if you don't believe in God, it's still perfectly logical how we ended up this way.

Old 05-02-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Equal rights and feminism were largely scoffed at and rarely taken seriously in those days. Women had significantly fewer possibilities in life. The game was all about finding a husband, having kids and being the good little housewife. Very few women wanted anything else out of life.

And then there's this: Gains in women’s rights haven't made women happier. Why is that?

Psychology is a strange animal, but I think it makes perfect sense. For the entirety of human evolutionary, the drive to find a big strong man for a protector and making lots of babies has been naturally selected. Those that make lots of babies pass their genes on generation after generation. The genes of those that do not are dead ended and rapidly cease to exist. Women are biologically predisposed to prioritize husband, children and family above everything. We live in a society that having a family isn't that important and careers should be a much bigger priority. By accepting and living this in direct contradiction to what their own genetics and biologies are telling them, liberated women everywhere are really just making themselves miserable.

I would add that it's how God made us, but even if you don't believe in God, it's still perfectly logical how we ended up this way.
Is being “happy” the only metric in life worth measuring? What does that even mean?

Old 05-02-2020, 04:20 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post

Excellent post. After all we are merely animals that can reason and have opposable thumbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies