Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2020, 05:58 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times

Advertisements

The Fifties were not such a bad time for men, who were kings of their own little hill. They were waited on, looked up to, and excused all childcare and domestic duties. Some kept the "little woman" in line through fear. Some men even believed that having a mistress was acceptable. Homes in those days were not child-centered, but  they were very definitely daddy-centered. Women like in the Islamic world were second class citizens.

For women, the decade was pure disaster, their worth was for procreation (preferably a boy) and they simply replaced the house slave of the slave era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 06:01 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Some people seem to assume that before the 1950s and the stay-at-home mom phenomenon, women did not work.

In fact both parents worked, unless you were seriously wealthy. Women worked on farms, in factories, for the phone company, as secretaries, bookkeepers, shopkeepers, etc.

Women have always worked outside of the home (or on their farm), leaving child care to the extended family.

Only when advancements in farming, manufacturing and household appliances came along mid century did women have the luxury of doing nothing but keeping house.

So why does a very short period in human history loom so large in some minds? Were children neglected and families destroyed by working women before that era?
Because the feminist myth needs some foundation, even if it's shaky.

In another thread, a poster posted a link to a website that has pictures from the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic. The pictures show women doing all sorts of jobs, including driving ambulances and being train conductors. And these are just RANDOM pictures. No pro-women agenda at all.

This myth that women were never *allowed* to do anything is total BS. This myth that women were only teachers and seamstresses is crap.

It needs to STOP.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Because the feminist myth needs some foundation, even if it's shaky.

In another thread, a poster posted a link to a website that has pictures from the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic. The pictures show women doing all sorts of jobs, including driving ambulances and being train conductors. And these are just RANDOM pictures. No pro-women agenda at all.

This myth that women were never *allowed* to do anything is total BS. This myth that women were only teachers and seamstresses is crap.

It needs to STOP.
My uncle told my dad he was wasting his money sending me to college because I was a girl. My mom wanted to work but my dad refused to allow it, oh how they fought over that. The women in our "middle class" neighborhood were living the same circumstances. My aunt had an abusive husband who would say he beat her to keep her in her place. She left him and was much happier. Leaving a husband was rare in those days. She married a sweetheart of a man the second time and until the day she passed she was in love and he loved her and treated her well too.

There may be some women who were forced (either be beat or leave) but a lot of women put up with a lot of crap to stay in the expected norms.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:07 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The Fifties were not such a bad time for men, who were kings of their own little hill. They were waited on, looked up to, and excused all childcare and domestic duties. Some kept the "little woman" in line through fear. Some men even believed that having a mistress was acceptable. Homes in those days were not child-centered, but  they were very definitely daddy-centered. Women like in the Islamic world were second class citizens.

For women, the decade was pure disaster, their worth was for procreation (preferably a boy) and they simply replaced the house slave of the slave era.
I think that is rather harsh. The women I knew that had been through the fifties had none of that experience. Yes they did much of the child care and INTERIOR house work. The MEN did ALL the lawn work, all the exterior maintenance, all the home repair, all the upgrades the WOMAN DEMANDED or they PAID for it and they slaved away to EARN ALL THE MONEY.

Many, unfortunately were hen pecked beyond all recognition and they and THEIR HOMES were controlled by THEIR WIVES.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:09 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,797 times
The truth is that most women were perfectly happy to stay home and raise a family. In fact most women were actually the heads of households. Most men went to work, earned a paycheck, and turned it over to his wife. Most just wanted beer and lunch money. They trusted their wives to manage the family money.

The women I see today are running around like chickens with their heads chopped off accomplishing nothing but more frustrations. Their children grow up without the benefit of be raised by a full time mother and our society shows it. Whatever marriage they have/had is a disaster and usually ends in divorce and sometimes many times over.

Getting women to go to work was a plot by the oligarchs to double the work force and cut the pay. It worked. Not too long after women showed up in the workplaces wages went down. Not long after that a family could no longer exist off one paycheck. The oligarchs succeeded, twice the work force for the same cost.

Many woman I talked to today would be very content to be a stay-at-home mom. Moreover, her children would too.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I think that is rather harsh. The women I knew that had been through the fifties had none of that experience. Yes they did much of the child care and INTERIOR house work. The MEN did ALL the lawn work, all the exterior maintenance, all the home repair, all the upgrades the WOMAN DEMANDED or they PAID for it and they slaved away to EARN ALL THE MONEY.

Many, unfortunately were hen pecked beyond all recognition and they and THEIR HOMES were controlled by THEIR WIVES.
MONEY = POWER

Yep, we know, men "EARN ALL THE MONEY" as you posted in caps. And just as you insinuated by doing so men knew that MONEY = POWER and many times that power was abused.

Women slaved away at home but HOUSEWORK, COOKING ETC DID NOT HAVE MONETARY VALUE. Even though it was just as important to everyone in the family.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post

So would you work for for no money and allow yourself to be controlled, abused etc because he EARNED THE MONEY even though you worked hard, your services were not viewed as having monetary value?

Some men even today don't get it. Why would they? The 50's mentality worked better for them. Today, many are still in the dark ages expecting the little lady to work full time and do everything at home.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:19 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,911 times
The 50s were great! For women, minorities, and gay people. Just peaches and cream! I know, particularly, many mediocre white men prefer to return to that time when they would have been more important.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:23 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
MONEY = POWER

Yep, we know, men "EARN ALL THE MONEY" as you posted in caps. And just as you insinuated by doing so men knew that MONEY = POWER and many times that power was abused.

Women slaved away at home but HOUSEWORK, COOKING ETC DID NOT HAVE MONETARY VALUE. Even though it was just as important to everyone in the family.
Yet you ignored all the other things men did and do beyond just make money.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:26 PM

On the way to work one evening I was listing to talk radio. A guy calls in and here is how it went.

Man: My wife never wants to anymore,
Host: Do you have kids?
Man: yes, 2 (young)
Host: Does your wife work?
Man: yes (full time)
Host: Who picks the kids up from school?
Man: My wife
Host: After she gets home what is she doing?
Man: She cooks dinner
Host: While she's cooking what are you doing?
Man: I like to watch some TV, maybe catch a nap,
Host: Who cleans up after dinner
Man (still oblivious): my wife
Host: Who bathes the kids
Man: my wife,

Host: Finally frustrated said... so how do you expect your wife to have the time and energy for you???

Man: uh, uh, flustered because he hasn't listened to his answers and STILL does not have a clue

I was laughing out loud at the mans reaction and confusion. I'll bet she left him somewhere along the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies