Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2020, 01:31 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
For every example like that, I can cite and a hundred example where everyone ate at the same time, and if the Men didn't help cook they cleaned up.

Where and when did you live? Salem? During the trials?
that's the complaint, most times, not all, women cooked but most times the men didn't clean up after either. Hey, I'm just relaying what I've witnessed (except for my grandparents, she cooked, he cleaned up but their relationship was loving, respectful, happy and a rarity).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 01:35 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I would not have liked 50s urban living as a women.

But rural women that I know, along with others who I've read about, did whatever they needed, or wanted, to. And, if married, and husband did agriculture work, some women had jobs or businesses in a nearby town.
They were still subject to laws and lack of legal protection. No different than women in urban areas.

Old 05-12-2020, 01:39 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You're wrong.
She's right. Girls and women get all the attention today. Boys get ignored and/or medicated.

Old 05-12-2020, 01:41 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Um, no. I agree with your other statement.

Not sure why you feel the need to insult me. Because I disagree with you and are pointing out the hypocritical statements you have made? A go-to move, perhaps. When someone has nothing to say, they go to personal attacks and insults. Brav - o.

Seriously, continue the therapy thread. Over and out.
You realize you are insulting others who are simply sharing their experiences and their knowledge of the 50's. Rather than disputing the facts, you are claiming that anyone who tells those facts is somehow asserting they are victims. They aren't. The 50's is history. Women were not treated as the equals of men in the 50's. That's a fact. It doesn't mean that men were bad and women were angels. Just like pointing out that slaves were not considered by some white people as fully human prior to the Civil War doesn't mean white people bad slaves angels. Reality is complicated, and human beings are complicated. The social constructs that any society puts together exists in a complicated world. When those social constructs further inequality, and people fight to take apart those social constructs, to build a more equitable world, it becomes part of our social conscience. And that is really what this thread is about, how our social consciences have evolved in the past seventy years.

Old 05-12-2020, 01:45 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
She's right. Girls and women get all the attention today. Boys get ignored and/or medicated.
Sorry, but you are claiming a male victimhood that doesn't exist. Girls get diagnosed with ADHD, and get medicated, too. And women are still denied jobs because of their gender, women are still paid less than men. While laws have made these things rarer, they still go on.

Old 05-12-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
For every example like that, I can cite and a hundred example where everyone ate at the same time, and if the Men didn't help cook they cleaned up.

Where and when did you live? Salem? During the trials?
(during the 40-early 50's) My dad had 4 bothers and 1 sister. My grandparents tried to force my aunt to marry a guy they wanted her to marry but she didn't so she hitchhiked to leave. After leaving she didn't contact my grandparents for yrs. She did marry (a guy she wanted to marry) and they lived in Germany for many years, then lived here for awhile before leaving again. Her daughter, my cousin left the area too and became a flight attendant, later said she considered coming back but saw the mentality and decided not to. She lived in Texas ever since.

Maybe it depends on the area too.

Old 05-12-2020, 01:52 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
One Easter we visited DH distant family who lived in rural country. The men in the living room talking, laughing ..., the women were cooking. Then dinner was called. I was surprise when the men sat down while the women waited. A girl who married into the family saw my surprise, laughing leaned over and told me that this was normal, the men ate first, women ate after they were done (cold).

The men going for 2nd helpings even though the women still did not eat yet. DH and BIL was smart enough to stand with us and wait lol. I'll give you one guess which group cleaned up and who went to the living room.

Nah, I'm glad I'm from my era.

My sister-in-law's family does the same (with the eating: men first, then women, then children). My brother says it's really weird to him as it's the only place he's ever seen this done.

Old 05-12-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
My sister-in-law's family does the same (with the eating: men first, then women, then children). My brother says it's really weird to him as it's the only place he's ever seen this done.
Still today?

For DH relatives that generation has passed on, I don't think they do it now but don't know for sure. Although they were nice welcoming people, they were too backwards for me to care to go back.

Old 05-12-2020, 01:57 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Still today?

For DH relatives that generation has passed on, I don't think it goes on there now.

Yep, still today. It is pretty weird to me (and to my brother). He says it makes him uncomfortable. It's at his wife's grandmother's house and she's got to be in her 90s. So maybe it's a holdover from the past.

Old 05-12-2020, 02:03 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
IDK. I had two sons, two grandsons. None were ignored or medicated.
I see male and female now getting the same attention, the opportunities that were often reserved for males have now opened up for females.

And by observation women seem to be the ones over medicated.
While I do admit the pushing of Ritalin and diagnosis of ADD on predominately boys has been and probably still is a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies