Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 10:27 AM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times

Advertisements

Precedent-setting, watch for a repeat of this nonsense when a second-round of Corona-sniffles
rears-up in the fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 10:32 AM

7,592 posts, read 4,163,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Stop promoting Sweden as a model - I don't know how the WHO does this with a straight face. YES - it's true - their numbers are not as bad, say, Lombardi, Italy - where the great bulk of the Italian deaths took Place. That's because, like New York, the horse was out of the barn before they locked down.
Sweden never 'locked down' whether the horse was out of barn or not. Perhaps you are suggesting that Sweden didn't have a greater source of infections compared to those other counties, so the horses never left the barn in Sweden?

Old 05-01-2020, 10:34 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
The article notes that the Swedish constitution does not give the government the power to order people to stay home or close business, unless it is wartime.

Hence, the Swedish government asked the people to do so voluntarily, with decidedly mixed results, as referred to herein.

Yesterday, President Trump weighed in:

Despite reports to the contrary, Sweden is paying heavily for its decision not to lockdown. As of today, 2462 people have died there, a much higher number than the neighboring countries of Norway (207), Finland (206) or Denmark (443). The United States made the correct decision!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 30, 2020

By the by, the number of deaths is now 2,653.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:38 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
too early to really know who is right--- really- but we are opening back up here and there-- we shall know in 4 weeks.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:38 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
So why are we still in lock down mode in this country when we could easily follow the Swedish model.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/29/who-la...irus-lockdown/
Quote:
Did you even bother to read your own link?

The World Health Organization lauded Sweden as a “model” for battling the coronavirus as countries lift lockdowns — after the nation controversially refused restrictions.

Dr. Mike Ryan, the WHO’s top emergencies expert, said Wednesday there are “lessons to be learned” from the Scandinavian nation, which has largely relied on citizens to self-regulate.

“I think there’s a perception out that Sweden has not put in control measures and just has allowed the disease to spread,” Ryan told reporters. “Nothing can be further from the truth.”

Ryan noted that instead of lockdowns, the country has “put in place a very strong public policy around social distancing, around caring and protecting people in long-term care facilities.”

“What it has done differently is it has very much relied on its relationship with its citizenry and the ability and willingness of its citizens to implement self-distancing and self-regulate,” Ryan said. “In that sense, they have implemented public policy through that partnership with the population.”

He said the country also ramped up testing and had adequate capacity in hospitals to handle any outbreaks.

“I think if we are to reach a new normal, Sweden represents a model if we wish to get back to a society in which we don’t have lockdowns,” Ryan said.

The country, which has a population of 10.3 million, has seen more than 20,300 cases and 2,462 deaths as of Thursday afternoon — far higher than its Nordic neighbors.
Sweden is a small, culturally cohesive nation and its people share the same values about the majority of issues.The Swedes implemented some common sense guidelines which the people largely followed.

Can you imagine what would happen in the US with a "do your own thing" policy? Actually, you don't have to imagine it. College kids packing the Florida beaches for spring break and then taking the coronavirus all over the country with them when they went back home. Armed militias hoping to impose their will on State Legislatures, etc., etc.

And despite Sweden's "success," it still has the highest number of COVID19 cases among its Scandinavian neighbors. In fact, when it comes to number of cases world wide, Sweden stands at 22 among the 212 countries and territories that WHO is keeping track of. This means that a whopping 190 countries are doing better controlling the pandemic outbreak than Sweden is.

You republicans always have such low standards and expectations - starting with Trump and then running downhill from there. Rwanda is doing better than Sweden, for heaven's sake. Why don't you start posting about how wonderful "free" Rwanda is?

Sweden has a death rate of 263 per million population.

Old 05-01-2020, 11:49 AM

4,136 posts, read 2,839,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
The article notes that the Swedish constitution does not give the government the power to order people to stay home or close business, unless it is wartime.

Hence, the Swedish government asked the people to do so voluntarily, with decidedly mixed results, as referred to herein.

Despite reports to the contrary, Sweden is paying heavily for its decision not to lockdown. As of today, 2462 people have died there, a much higher number than the neighboring countries of Norway (207), Finland (206) or Denmark (443). The United States made the correct decision!

It'll be fun watching the parody/troll account OP try to backtrack after his lord and savior chimed in with that tweet, that is, if OP ever returns here.

Old 05-01-2020, 11:53 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post

So in one day Sweden racked up as many deaths as Norway or Finland during the whole pandemic.......

Old 05-01-2020, 11:59 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Dude, you are mentally ill, you create dozens and dozens of posts against the actions taken for this virus. At this point, I am thinking you are actually one of those troll farms. All you do, almost 24/7, is create thread after thread, post after post, of absurd BS. Contradictory, one second you are calling the WHO some global, evil, non trusting organization, the next second you are saying their word is the word of god and should be trusted.

And bottom line, Sweden's death rate per million is among the highest, and that was with the actions they took among themselves. No matter how you want to spin it, their approach has been a disaster, not one I would want the US to replicate.

Old 05-01-2020, 01:06 PM

4,025 posts, read 1,878,692 times
The "horse out of the barn" referred to Italy, not Sweden. But it's true that Sweden didn't do "nothing." They did plenty - but not as much as most places.

K350 - right - I have never really paid attention until these last two months - but wow, if there were actually an organized effort to spread disinformation - this is exactly what it would look like.

Old 05-01-2020, 01:13 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
I can't help chuckle every time I see someone refer to it as The WHO.

"I'll tip my hat to the new constitution, take a bow to the new revolution
Smile and grin at the changes all around, pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday, then I get on my knees and pray;
We Don't Get Fooled Again!"

Maybe it's appropriate after all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies