Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 12:54 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
I was debating whether or not I should post this on the health forum or this forum but ultimately I decided this topic would be more suited for the "Great Debates" forum. Since there's more politics involved in this and not just health.

So Dr. Fauci recommends never shaking hands again and for now many of us are subjected to the "elbow bump". At this point the handshake may be dead for many, which is ridiculous to me but "do you". My real question is, when will you, personally, begin to show affection to one another? I know many people right now who aren't even hugging their own families. Friends are avoiding physical contact with each other. To me, its all so ridiculous. Ask yourself; how many people die from being affectionate? Throughout the history of human kind, we've always been affection or greeted each other physically. On average, whats the death rate because of that? Right now, we have professional wrestlers still wrestling on TV every week and they are certainly not "social distancing". Whats the death rate been? And when are we going to begin being affectionate again, physically interact with each other again? When the government and elites say its okay to do so? When they basically give us permission to do? When they give us the green light? Its getting ridiculous. Granted, I know not everyone is "social-distancing", especially within the confines and privacy of their own homes, domains. Publicly however, I can't imagine living in a world where people will look at you as if you're committing a crime for being in close quarters with your friends or family. I know there will be those whom will forever be scarred and scared and never be affectionate again. They will implement or already have implemented "social distance" for the rest of their lives. Because of fear. Then there will be those whom will eventually disregard these "social distancing" rules and get tired of waiting for the powers that be to make every choice for them and look out for "their safety". Where do you stand?
Oh horse poopie. Just wash your hands or use purell type stuff if you’re that worried about it. “Elbow bump” would put you even closer to the person. I would be more worried touching 30 door handles than shaking hands with one person

Old 05-02-2020, 01:19 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
Regardless of how conspiracy minded people try to spin this virus, the cold, hard fact is, this virus is something none of us have ever seen in our lifetime, and it will drastically change how we humans interact for many years to come.

I bolded that sentence because it will be the truest statement you will ever read regarding this period in our history. I am normally a people person and love interacting with others...…..shaking hands, talking close to them, patting them on the back, etc. But I can no longer do any of that, and feel it will be a long time before I do it comfortably.
Yes to the above statement. It is a pivotal event in our lifetimes. Some things will change permanently—perhaps. But for the short term, things are changing and will continue to change. I suspect this virus will be with us more or less permanently. With effective vaccines, we should be able to rely more on herd immunity. But we are not there yet.

We also need effective treatments. This latest drug being adopted should be the first of an arsenal of possible treatments.

Obviously we also need more diagnostic testing. And we need accurate antibody testing, which I am not sure has reached the trustworthy stage yet.

Until we have most of these, I don’t see us going back to our old normal.

I will be watching the states that are opening up. I wonder if they will escape consequences. Anything is possible. I am interested to know how all of this will develop.

Old 05-02-2020, 02:04 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
Regardless of how conspiracy minded people try to spin this virus, the cold, hard fact is, this virus is something none of us have ever seen in our lifetime, and it will drastically change how we humans interact for many years to come.

I bolded that sentence because it will be the truest statement you will ever read regarding this period in our history. (snip)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Yes to the above statement. It is a pivotal event in our lifetimes. Some things will change permanently—perhaps. But for the short term, things are changing and will continue to change. I suspect this virus will be with us more or less permanently.
(snip)

Old 05-02-2020, 03:06 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,727 times
.... when we have confirmational (S)TD tests showing that we have covid antibodies.

for me, handshaking was always a learned behavior, never my preference.

back in junior/high school, we never high fived or shook hands. Nor did we hug. We did the head nod/raise to greet one another.

I like how asian countries do the head nod . I would like to see more people do the namaste instead of the handshake.

the positive side to all this.... you will never be judged by your handshake ever again. Limp shake, death grip? No matter!

Old 05-02-2020, 03:10 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
No shake hands, raise right hand, say "HOW". It has worked for the Indians for many moons.

Old 05-02-2020, 03:29 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
How about a formal bow?
Not being a people person I would cheer if the handshake never appeared again. Can't tell you how many corp execs I've seen who put their fingers a little too close to their nasal cavities when they think no one will notice!
And while I don't care if people hug each other to their hearts content, I hope this ends the practice of doing it to strangers or acquaintances without their consent. A little more awareness is a good thing.
I was just thinking that; a business bow could work. It works for the Japanese...

Old 05-02-2020, 03:31 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
No shake hands, raise right hand, say "HOW". It has worked for the Indians for many moons.
Nobody says "how". They shake hands, but very lightly. (No vice-grip, no shake, rattle and roll). That's another context in which it would be hard to avoid, unless everyone agreed to do so. Considering, that some of the Native communities are among the hardest hit with the virus, customs may, indeed, change.

Old 05-02-2020, 03:43 PM

16,558 posts, read 10,635,195 times
I see two different issues being raised by the OP: hand-shaking, and physical affection.

Hand-shaking, I wouldn't mind in the least if it went away. I do it (well, I used to) because it was expected, but I don't care for it. And elbow bumping is just way too informal to work on a regular basis. Personally, I like the Asian custom of bowing, or head nodding. I can't think of a better, non-contact way to greet someone using body language. Or, maybe we just say hello and dispense with the physical contact altogether.

Physical affection is a different issue. It is, or should be, something that's done between people who like each other a lot. Most people, when they like each other a lot, like to be close to that person, and have that person close to them. And hugging accomplishes this task quite nicely. I don't see hugging ever going away. It may have taken a bit of a break due to the social distancing thing, but it won't stay gone for long. People are relational creatures, and most people like to show their affection in a physical way.

Old 05-02-2020, 04:27 PM

654 posts, read 364,395 times
People shook hands because it was expected. Not necessarily because they wanted to; they just didn't want to be rude.

Now that it's polite not to shake hands, handshakes are gone for a long while.

I am not a hugger and don't like handshakes with strangers (as I've gotten colds due to forced handshakes). And as a guy, I understand that I am not to shake hands with a woman unless she offers her hand. I don't see a need to touch a guy. Anywhere. So I'm glad that handshakes are gone.

Old 05-02-2020, 05:51 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
the social distancing is a ploy to keep us from discussing things with others and asking hard questions that govs refuse to answer.
Nothing will/can keep me from hugging and visiting family...I feel so bad for elders who could die at any time (from any number of conditions) yet are now being isolated from their own families..the one light in their lives...one reason I'd never put a loved one in a nursing home, or ever go to one myself.

Who goes to town sick?...I've always stayed home when sick, I dont need a gov to tell me that...and I don't need a gov to tell me to wash my hands.
and I don't need some bossy no-mind fink freaking out because I'm holding hands and walking with my children....you're right...it's gone beyond ridiculous, and the way people are reacting is the most scary thing about it of all.
How does social distancing prevent conversation? I see people talking in the neighborhoods...maybe not 6 feet apart but at least 4...and with the abundance of social media? Facetime? Skype? You can't STOP people from talking - look at all the people here on c-d! Gimme a break!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies