Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 10:15 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
I was thinking the same exactly.

I believe it will take a long long time for people to start handshaking or hugging again after this COVID-19, except for their families.
Living in the South to a Southern Gent, I learned to hug most friends and family. Right now not doing it because I am stuck at home so my health compromised husband is not exposed by me. But with a hug you are not touching someones hands or face necessarily so may be a little safer than a hand shake. There is still soap or sanitizer. So eventually hugs will be ok with close friends but not necessarily with people I just meet who feel they need to hug me to thank me for something I just did etc. .

As for hand shakes....as a woman in business I never really shook hands anyway. I just never extended my hand and said hello. We don't need to elbow or bow. Just smile.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:23 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
A lot of people want to adopt the bow, it could work for some but not for many. Its just not something I see many in the people in the west adopting. And usually, the lower you bow, the more respect you give to that person. Not something I'm just going to do for everyone.
You aren't meant to. There is a certain etiquette to it. There is also a certain etiquette behind proper handshaking too, although a lot of people seem to be unaware of that. As for it not working for many, why not? It's a bow, there's a learning curve but it's not that hard.
I suspect it has to do with the knee jerk "you're not the boss of me" attitudes I'm seeing in response to the restrictions due to the virus. In a country full of people who get mad at supposedly being disrespected, apparently respect is only a one way street.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:25 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We’ll be able to have physical contact again. Just not next week or the next.

If you are having a bad time now, please call a hotline, OK? What we are going through will not last forever.

People who practice distancing are doing the socially responsible thing. They are being good citizens. But this will not last forever.
I agree.

I could live without the handshake as well.

I remember a sweet old lady at my Church who had to explain to others EVERY SUNDAY that she could not shake hands due to her chemo and very low immunity. (That was during the part where the minister says to greet those around you).

But, yeah, nothing lasts forever and people will learn to live with the virus. (Hopefully with more testing, good treatment and /or a vaccine).

Old 05-03-2020, 12:20 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
I don't see a need to shake hands. But something should be done, I think, to acknowledge greeting someone. Fist bump? Hand sign?

Old 05-03-2020, 12:34 PM

3,375 posts, read 1,968,473 times
From the Lord of the Rings Trilogy (The Return of the King): "My friends, you bow to no one." Spoken by King Aragorn. I won't be bowing to anyone either and the namaste hands seem a little too Hollywood to me. I just can't see that catching on in the US. I think a verbal acknowledgement is just fine and I was once a hugger.

Old 05-03-2020, 12:40 PM

15,432 posts, read 7,487,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
the social distancing is a ploy to keep us from discussing things with others and asking hard questions that govs refuse to answer.
Nothing will/can keep me from hugging and visiting family...I feel so bad for elders who could die at any time (from any number of conditions) yet are now being isolated from their own families..the one light in their lives...one reason I'd never put a loved one in a nursing home, or ever go to one myself.

Who goes to town sick?...I've always stayed home when sick, I dont need a gov to tell me that...and I don't need a gov to tell me to wash my hands.
and I don't need some bossy no-mind fink freaking out because I'm holding hands and walking with my children....you're right...it's gone beyond ridiculous, and the way people are reacting is the most scary thing about it of all.
Lots of people go out and about when they are sick. Some because they don't get sick pay, some because they don't care about their impact on others, but are so selfish that they only think of themselves.

Old 05-03-2020, 12:46 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Here's my waving continuum plan in lieu of handshaking:

Social Greeting- Wave with palm exposed to person being waved at and hand fairly relaxed. Large smile.
Business Greeting- Wave with palm reversed, facing towards waver and rigidly rotating within an approximate 30 degree bend. Also known as "Concave Presidential Wave". Neutral, semi-authoritative or semi-deferential facial expression (depending on the power dynamic between the waver and waivee) with vague hint of smile.
Greeting at a Social Business Function (such as a company party)- Wave with both hands. One hand is placed at a modified social greeting stance with additional rigidity to hand movement. Other hand uses a business greeting with palm still facing the person doing the hand wave but less rigidly than a strictly business greeting. Facial expression at approximate midpoint between social and business greeting (slight smile, but showing no teeth/gums). Power dynamic of facial expression is reduced, but person of higher status should err on being more neutral/authoritative in their facial expression. Person of lower status should err on being more deferential/smiley.

Now, that wasn't so hard was it?

Old 05-03-2020, 12:47 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"Namaste"? Really? Which "namaste"? If you're greeting the Dalai Lama, or any high lama, or a government official, you're supposed to throw yourself on the ground. That's the level of "namaste" they warrant. I don't see that catching on in the West. In fact, it's fading out in the Himalayas, too.
Luckily neither my profession nor hobbies require me to meet with government officials, much less the Dalai Lama.

Even so, we could adapt it to whatever we want. However, I see no need for anything more than "nice to meet you", "how do you do", "hi"...maybe throw in a smile, nod? Why the need for such overt gestures?

Old 05-03-2020, 01:33 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,004 times
I’m not overly concerned about being around people. Yes, I’ll respect and keep my distance from others and will respect their wishes if they don’t want a hug or handshake. I’m glad my 81 year old mother is not afraid of me hugging her. I haven’t seen her in weeks and stopped by to visit and before I got close to her I asked her if it was ok to get a hug. She wasn’t worried and I hugged her.

Based on the many research I’ve done, I’m not overly concerned about Covid 19. Yes, I believe it is not a joke or a hoax, but “fear propaganda” is real and working. I’m not going to live in fear about this virus. There are reasons to believe that the virus has been around in the US since as early as last October and November. Being that it is on the news more, reported on it more, information and stats constantly updated, has caused many people to live in fear. If the 2017-2018 flu season which killed over 60,000 people in the US alone had the same coverage, people would have been living in fear then.

Old 05-03-2020, 01:46 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
If the 2017-2018 flu season which killed over 60,000 people in the US alone had the same coverage, people would have been living in fear then.
If it had killed 60k in six weeks it probably would have had the same coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies