Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is formal education overrated in today's society ?
Yes 23 57.50%
No 13 32.50%
Other 4 10.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 02:32 PM

297 posts, read 177,648 times

Advertisements

It's no secret that having formal educational credentials is very highly valued in present day society , in spite of the fact that possessing such credentials in no way results in automatically possessing the knowledge/skill/experience said credentials are supposed to confer ...

I'm of the opinion that present day society places far too much importance on people having a piece of paper which shows they completed so and so many years of study at such and such educational institution ,when actual measurable knowledge/skill/experience should be given far more consideration ...

Which is why I'm curious to read the opinions of others regarding this issue .

Old 05-01-2020, 04:42 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan Vozdig View Post
It's no secret that having formal educational credentials is very highly valued in present day society , in spite of the fact that possessing such credentials in no way results in automatically possessing the knowledge/skill/experience said credentials are supposed to confer ...

I'm of the opinion that present day society places far too much importance on people having a piece of paper which shows they completed so and so many years of study at such and such educational institution ,when actual measurable knowledge/skill/experience should be given far more consideration ...

Educated societies have a higher standard of living. That's really what it is all about. I for one would not want to live among a bunch of illiterates who never went to kindergarten

Old 05-01-2020, 04:54 PM

24,635 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Educated societies have a higher standard of living. That's really what it is all about. I for one would not want to live among a bunch of illiterates who never went to kindergarten
I believe the Op is referring to college. Why would anyone argue against going to elementary school or K-12 in general?

Old 05-01-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:

I mean there's a big difference between being illiterate and not placing the amount of emphasis modern day society does on education ...

FWIW the standard of living modern day societies have is not due to the heavy emphasis they place on people getting pieces of paper that show they attended a particular school for many years , but on the contributions of innovative people in the past ( many of whom were uneducated by present day standards ) as well as the maintenance of such knowledge by present day people , who aren't necessarily that well learned either ...

Said standard of living may very well slip into oblivion if the present day trend of worshiping the obtaining of pieces of paper by attending school continues in place of the acquisition of actual/usable knowledge and skills IMHO ...

Old 05-01-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I believe the Op is referring to college. Why would anyone argue against going to elementary school or K-12 in general?
That's correct ...

FWIW I'm not in the least arguing against the obtainment of formal education as such , but rather the tendency in modern day society that places ( IMHO ) too heavy of an emphasis on it as opposed to ( for example ) making people take tests that determine actual knowledge and skill in the course of obtaining employment ...

Old 05-01-2020, 05:58 PM

5,995 posts, read 3,736,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan Vozdig View Post

As one who spent about 5 1/2 years of my life obtaining a Civil Engineering degree, I agree with you. After obtaining the degree, the actual usage of the detailed knowledge obtained during the process was very minimal. About the only thing it proved was that I had the determination to stick with the task until it was accomplished, and that my mind was capable of processing all the intricate concepts involved in gaining the knowledge that I would seldom use.

Old 05-01-2020, 06:00 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,062 times
Hoop jumping. Also if you rack up bunch debt, you will stick with job you dont like due to the indentured servitude aspects of massive debt.

Old 05-01-2020, 07:46 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,977 times
I would go back and go to plumbing school.

Old 05-02-2020, 11:12 AM

1,884 posts, read 1,002,747 times
In my opinion, perhaps we should go back to the guild system. Industry-specific knowledge gained, compiled, and shared through generations and across everyone involved.

The modern day problem with this is competition within the same industry. Why train somebody with all you know, when a competitor can just snipe him with a bit larger salary? This practice is good for certain cunning individual companies, but bad for society, the industry, and progress/innovation as a whole. A good example of why pure individualism isn't always the best system. Cooperation without back-stabbing has benefits, that's why humans evolved the social instincts they do.

Old 05-02-2020, 12:57 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
I think OP is talking about college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies