Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 03:41 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,807,784 times

Advertisements

Lawns are a PITA and take too much water in arid areas. After the rains quit I let half of my acre of lawn brown in the summer. Even so, I wouldn't tell others they can't waste their money on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 03:46 PM

18,725 posts, read 7,604,328 times
CNN now claims that grass lawns are a "toxic American obsession" that cause global warming

Strangest part of this episode is:

What are you still listening to CNN for?

Old 05-01-2020, 03:47 PM

18,432 posts, read 8,268,923 times
...and China.....the worlds largest CO2 producer by far

blame China for anything....anything at all............'crickets'

poison in baby food and milk....poison in cat and dog food.....lead and toxins in baby chew toys....environmental destruction and pollution on a level never seen before in history....freon destroying the ozone layer...... ...you name it....China's got it covered

Old 05-01-2020, 03:51 PM

9,977 posts, read 5,677,344 times
At least "fear the lawn" is a break from "fear the virus."

Old 05-01-2020, 03:52 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,544,409 times
I hate lawns. They're a pain to maintain. But I need play space for my dog, so a little grass with plenty of weeds in it is my back yard -- or what back yard there is that isn't raised vegetable beds.

Old 05-01-2020, 03:57 PM

8,052 posts, read 12,772,027 times
I've never used fertilizer or weed killer on my yard. Yes there are some very "interesting" plants that grow but that's life in the country. I only cut about an acre around the house and the other 14 acres are left natural; some being harvested for hay and the rest natural woodlot.

Old 05-01-2020, 04:16 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,934,737 times
Lawns are becoming a thing of the past in Colorado and many other Western states. I guess the stable geniuses who have replied to this thread so far live somewhere "back East," and have little to no idea what the rest of the country is like.

Much of the Southwest has been suffering from a mega-drought for the past 10 years and more with no real end in sight. The Colorado River has also been suffering from lower flows than average and something like 30 million Americans depend on the Colorado for their water supply. There is major concern about the two mighty reservoirs - Powell and Meade - which are the backbone for the highly developed irrigation and water supply systems which allow Western farmers to grow their crops and residents of Denver to water their lawns. Western hydrologists are concerned that first Powell and then Meade will reach "dead pool" within the next 10 - 15 years. A dam at dead pool has water levels so low that it can no longer generate hydroelectricity.

More and more, people in the West are turning to something called xeriscaping which is landscaping with native plants and grasses in order to conserve precious water. Plus, the amount that it can cost to water a lawn is going through the stratosphere.

This truly a thread fail, started by an OP who may not know much, but he does know that he hates environmentalists because of course they are all liberal Nazi's. Everyone else has chimed in with an intelligent reply along the lines of, "I hate 'em too!"

If you lived in an arid Western state, the biggest thing you would hate is your monthly water bill -0 especially if you were determined to grow a lawn. This whole thread should be held up as an example of people determined to mindlessly hate an enemy who doesn't even exist. Believe me, if you lived in Albuquerque you be out in your yard right now planting drought resistant shrubs and flowers and pulling up that damn Kentucky bluegrass.

As I've always said, if you want Kentucky bluegrass, stay in Kentucky or whatever other verdant state that you happen to be posting from without so much as a clue as to what you're talking about.

LAKE POWELL IS GOING FAST - NOTICE "BATHTUB RINGS"

Old 05-01-2020, 04:28 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Lawns are becoming a thing of the past in Colorado and many other Western states. I guess the stable geniuses who have replied to this thread so far live somewhere "back East," and have little to no idea what the rest of the country is like.

Much of the Southwest has been suffering from a mega-drought for the past 10 years and more with no real end in sight. The Colorado River has also been suffering from lower flows than average and something like 30 million Americans depend on the Colorado for their water supply. There is major concern about the two mighty reservoirs - Powell and Meade - which are the backbone for the highly developed irrigation and water supply systems which allow Western farmers to grow their crops and residents of Denver to water their lawns. Western hydrologists are concerned that first Powell and then Meade will reach "dead pool" within the next 10 - 15 years. A dam at dead pool has water levels so low that it can no longer generate hydroelectricity.

More and more, people in the West are turning to something called xeriscaping which is landscaping with native plants and grasses in order to conserve precious water. Plus, the amount that it can cost to water a lawn is going through the stratosphere.

This truly a thread fail, started by an OP who may not know much, but he does know that he hates environmentalists because of course they are all liberal Nazi's. Everyone else has chimed in with an intelligent reply along the lines of, "I hate 'em too!"

If you lived in an arid Western state, the biggest thing you would hate is your monthly water bill -0 especially if you were determined to grow a lawn. This whole thread should be held up as an example of people determined to mindlessly hate an enemy who doesn't even exist. Believe me, if you lived in Albuquerque you be out in your yard right now planting drought resistant shrubs and flowers and pulling up that damn Kentucky bluegrass.

As I've always said, if you want Kentucky bluegrass, stay in Kentucky or whatever other verdant state that you happen to be posting from without so much as a clue as to what you're talking about.

LAKE POWELL IS GOING FAST - NOTICE "BATHTUB RINGS"

Lake Powell has recovered significantly over the past couple years, though your point about conservation is well taken as it is still below long term average elevation. I have a rock lawn. So do most people in the Sonoran desert. I have a vacation property in the upper midwest. That has grass which I take is the normal soil cover. I never do anything to take care of it but mow it.

Old 05-01-2020, 04:46 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
The obsession with the perfect lawn with massive amounts of chemical fertilizers, herbicides, and pesticides is a serious threat to wildlife, including critical pollinators as well as a massive threat to water supplies in arid western states. The obsession with the perfect, plastic-like lawn is not worth continuing the destruction that it brings.
I like the way it looks. Chemicals and water included. I decide what mine is worth, nanny-stater.

Old 05-01-2020, 04:58 PM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Ownership and Property rights.
You purchase water from a private supplier who ensures its quality. If that water tests foul, you let others know and it escalates to an dispute settlement/insurance claim against the water owner if need be. The water supplier knowing they are responsible for damages will make certain any and all pollutants are dealt with. If someone would pollute (run off from a golf course, pig farm etc.) the water supply, the water owner would file a dispute to hold the polluter responsible for clean up.
Additionally in times of scarcity the price of water would necessarily go up (gouging) and frivolous use of water would fall commensurately.
You want pollution and squandering of resources, put the politicians with no skin in the game, in charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies