Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 09:59 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Why is protesting now okay, but black people protesting for their rights is wrong?
Protesting, as long as it's done peacefully, is always OK. You're free to do that. But people are also free to criticize you and your cause if they disagree.

Old 05-02-2020, 10:01 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesteaderr View Post
So let me understand this. You didn't say this but it is implied.

Your honest, sincere opinion is that more guns in the hands of minorities would actually lower crime? Another poster in this thread said that he didn't "give a damn" about minority gun crime statistics because rights are more important. Just want to clarify.
No one here is saying that guns will lower the crime rates. I am saying this. Guns help you defend yourself. If anyone in this country needs to defend themselves from violence, it's Black Americans. Actually, everyone does. However, Black Americans need to defend themselves the most. Alot of violence crime committed by Black Americans is against Black Americans. All the more reason Black Americans should carry guns. Self defense.

By the way, I'm that poster who said that I didn't a flip about minority crime. Look at Baltimore. That city has some of the strictest gun laws in America, located in one of the most gun-unfriendly states in America. Baltimore has 90 murders and it's only May. Making it HARDER to get guns isn't stopping anything. Just making it harder for people to legally defend themselves.

And there is another reason I don't care. While living in this country, if I had to pick between my rights being taken away and being dead, I'm more inclined to pick death. New Hampshire's state motto: Live Free Or Die. I agree with it.

Old 05-02-2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Patronizing crap.

The 2nd Amendment should apply us all just the same, and so does the right to protest. I don’t give a damn about your stereotypes and stigmas. Y’all held those same views of us the day whites brought blacks to these shores.

Peaceful and law abiding MLK was killed while wearing a shirt and tie. So lay off the “many many good African Americans” nonsense.
Yep. This is why I'm very skeptical of the idea that looking nice and being docile won't keep you from getting killed. Anyone who suggests that the 2nd Amendment rights of Blacks be taken away so that everyone else can feel secure, those persons are the threatening ones. Those persons are the ones who pose a danger.

Old 05-02-2020, 10:08 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
So let me understand this. You didn't say this but it is implied.

Your honest, sincere opinion is that more guns in the hands of minorities would actually lower crime?

Difficult to predict. Most places with the highest rates of legal gun ownership have the least amount of violent crime however they are typically more affluent, more rural etc.

My parents live in a semi rural area and a conservative estimate of legal gun ownership is probably 90% of households with at least one gun. Gun shots are not out out the ordinary, if you wanted to murder someone with gun that's the place to do it because no one is coming to your rescue because of gun shots.. The crime rate is almost nothing. If you were to remove all those guns from the community I wouldn't expect some giant increase in the crime rate. Conversely putting many weapons into the hands of law abiding citizens in high crime areas probably won't have the desired affect of reducing crime. Possibly even increase it.

That said if you are law abiding citizen it's not for me or anyone else to decide whether you should be able to arm yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mi-LXipDo8

If you tak the time to watch that you'll see what hurdles there are in NYC. It's a long, complicated and expensive process and in the case of Stossel and most other people... denied. Out of 8 million people in NYC something like 50K have one those permits. The rich, powerful and politically connected.

Old 05-02-2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Difficult to predict. Most places with the highest rates of legal gun ownership have the least amount of violent crime however they are typically more affluent, more rural etc.

My parents live in a semi rural area and a conservative estimate of legal gun ownership is probably 90% of households with at least one gun. Gun shots are not out out the ordinary, if you wanted to murder someone with gun that's the place to do it because no one is coming to your rescue because of gun shots.. The crime rate is almost nothing. If you were to remove all those guns from the community I wouldn't expect some giant increase in the crime rate. Conversely putting many weapons into the hands of law abiding citizens in high crime areas probably won't have the desired affect of reducing crime. Possibly even increase it.

That said if you are law abiding citizen it's not for me or anyone else to decide whether you should be able to arm yourself.

If you tak the time to watch that you'll see what hurdles there are in NYC. It's a long, complicated and expensive process and in the case of Stossel and most other people... denied. Out of 8 million people in NYC something like 50K have one those permits. The rich, powerful and politically connected.
The areas with the worst violent crime rates often have other problems not related to guns.

Old 05-02-2020, 10:33 PM

Quote:

In rural areas, gun ownership is a part of life. People who shoot for sport, people who hunt. In the inner city ghettos, violent crime would be a problem whether the guns were there or not. The people doing the killing don't care about any laws. And many people living in those areas who need to defend themselves would likely find a way. Gun laws aren't deterring the problems in Baltimore.

New York and California are two difficult places to get guns. California has had hard gun laws since thee 1960s. Reagan was part of that. New York, well, this is what I see. NYC is a place where you need to make alot of money just to survive. Having very strict, expensive gun laws, I'm not surprised.

As for those crime-infested areas in the ghettos, having guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens might not drop crime. However, it will allow people to defend themselves. People at least need to be able to do that. The inner city ghettos have problems that go above and beyond guns.

Old 05-02-2020, 10:51 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
This whole thread is based on the faulty premise that blacks cannot open carry firearms. The irony is, this is only true in mostly democrat controlled communities. Another point of irony is there were black protesters that were protesting with the whites in Lansing. Nobody tried to stop them or disarm them. Blacks make up 12% of the population. Gun right demonstrations are open to all races, so it's unlikely there will be any all black gun right demonstrations in the future. I'm not sure why race centric demonstrations of this nature are even desirable to anyone except racists. Certainly I would be branded a racist if I tried to organize an all white gun rights demonstration of any kind.

Like I said before, no one is stopping blacks from assembling peacefully with firearms, so long as they are not breaking any laws. That's it. Just be aware of the laws and don't break them. Is that really too much to ask? The man is not trying to disarm blacks or stop them from exercising their 2A rights if they are following the law. Mostly just the beta males are after your guns, but we don't consider those men in any of the communities I would want to call home in this country.

Old 05-02-2020, 11:18 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Blacks haven't had truly legitimate protests since the civil rights movement.

The BLM protests are based on false assumptions. FOr example nearly all their cases have been debunked. Michael Brown did attack the cop and try to grab his gun, Alton Sterling did reach for the cop's gun, and Philando Castile did reach for his weapon. The police were negligent with Freddie Gray but that still doesn't prove they intended to purposely kill her or that they were racist against him.

And remember how liberals were complaining about "civil rights" after 9-11 when a few Muslims were searched a bit more carefully at the airport, but are okay with the kind of things going on in New York and Michigan now. Now I do agree with some stay at home orders but some leftists are taking it too far.

Old 05-02-2020, 11:36 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
The Second Amendment was written for "white people of good character." Those are not my words.
True.
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I notice few people are talking about Reagan and his history regarding gun control. I wonder why?
They hate that being brought up.
Quote:
That's a deflection. It's not NRA policies that make you jump through 6 million hoops at great expense to purchase a gun, transport it or even be able to practice shoot with it. It's liberal gun policies that do that and the fact is it affects poor minorities the most. Voter ID laws that liberals often complain about being discriminatory are a walk in park compared to the requirements to legally purchase and posses a firearm in somewhere like NYC, Chicago, etc.
You white conservatives put a gun grabber in the White House with NRA support.

And most African Americans live in the rural South. All 35 million of us don’t live in Chicago, dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Protesting, as long as it's done peacefully, is always OK. You're free to do that. But people are also free to criticize you and your cause if they disagree.
No, we aren’t free to do that peacefully. You are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Blacks haven't had truly legitimate protests since the civil rights movement.

The BLM protests are based on false assumptions. FOr example nearly all their cases have been debunked. Michael Brown did attack the cop and try to grab his gun, Alton Sterling did reach for the cop's gun, and Philando Castile did reach for his weapon. The police were negligent with Freddie Gray but that still doesn't prove they intended to purposely kill her or that they were racist against him.

And remember how liberals were complaining about "civil rights" after 9-11 when a few Muslims were searched a bit more carefully at the airport, but are okay with the kind of things going on in New York and Michigan now. Now I do agree with some stay at home orders but some leftists are taking it too far.
Alton Sterling and Philando Castile were murdered. But I appreciate you showing why African Americans must stay away from the Republican Party like it’s the Bubonic Plague.

Old 05-02-2020, 11:53 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
True.

They hate that being brought up.

You white conservatives put a gun grabber in the White House with NRA support.

And most African Americans live in the rural South. All 35 million of us don’t live in Chicago, dude.

No, we aren’t free to do that peacefully. You are.

Alton Sterling and Philando Castile were murdered. But I appreciate you showing why African Americans must stay away from the Republican Party like it’s the Bubonic Plague.
I happen to be from Louisiana and the Sterling case was a local case in this area. Even the Obama DOJ didn't find the police did anything wrong. The officers were found not guilty but were thrown under the bus by the Democrats who run Baton Rouge. The three most crime ridden places in the state - Baton Rouge, New Orleans and Shreveport - are all run by black Democrats. It was established that Alton Sterling resisted arrest and reached for his weapon, and was under the influence of cocaine, marijuana, crystal meth, oxycodone, Xanax AND alcohol during his confrontation with the police. The last part especially was never reported in the national media.

And we blame the media for the targeted killings of BR police officers that same year by the BLM activist. The liberal media also deserves part of the blame for creating the environment that led to the Baltimore and Ferguson riots.

And about Philado Castile, that video only shows the aftermath of the shooting, it doens't show the moment he was actually shot or what led up to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies