Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 08:19 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.
Seems like cemeteries are filled with the innocent as well. There is no defending our gun violence and lack of responses to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2020, 08:21 PM

6,344 posts, read 2,898,603 times
Shouldn't some people have their firearms confiscated? The Virginia Tech killer was found mentally incompetent at one point. He harassed female students by photographing their legs under their desks and by writing violent and obscene poetry. He was suspected of being "an imminent danger to himself or others," and was detained temporarily at Carilion St. Albans Behavioral Health Center at one point. Shouldn't someone like that have his firearms confiscated?

Old 05-02-2020, 08:25 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Canadians are mere SUBJECTS that willingly give up their Rights, Freedoms and Liberty to the Crown. Oooh, the Royals make us safe. LOL!

Last edited by Pilot1; 05-02-2020 at 08:33 PM..

Old 05-02-2020, 08:39 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Shouldn't some people have their firearms confiscated? The Virginia Tech killer was found mentally incompetent at one point. He harassed female students by photographing their legs under their desks and by writing violent and obscene poetry. He was suspected of being "an imminent danger to himself or others," and was detained temporarily at Carilion St. Albans Behavioral Health Center at one point. Shouldn't someone like that have his firearms confiscated?

One gun owner of my acquaintance is all for mental health checks for prospective gun owners.

BTW, she talks to aliens. From the Pleiades. And sees black helicopters from her back yard. Go figure.

Old 05-02-2020, 08:43 PM

I have said it many times on here. I would never willingly live where I felt the need to carry a gun or keep a loaded weapon in my night stand out of concern for the safety of my family. That said, sometimes the threat comes to you. Like that shooter in Canada did.

Here's the real debate.

Should the style of weapon the shooter used be banned or should people have been better armed to defend themselves?

In this case? Your house is boring down and a man with a gun is hiding waiting for you to flee.

In reality most shooters that I have met, struggle to find the safety on their weapon without looking for it, don't know how to properly clean and maintain said weapon, and think good shooting is actually hitting anywhere on the silhouette target more than once or twice.

These same heroes will claim that if properly armed they would have defended themselves and killed their attacker.

Not all shooters are like that. You show me a Marine or any vet for that matter, except maybe coastguard or Chair Force. Kidding just kidding. There are a lot of good shooters out there. Just not a lot of good combat shooters. I don't know that I would be. I have never had to shoot while under fire.

The alternative is and the Canadian Gunman demonstrated it, the use of alternative weapons. Sometimes we are lucky that it is only a Semi-Automatic pistol or rifle. There are far deadlier weapons than a rifle.

Old 05-02-2020, 08:47 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Thank god for the Constitution.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6892959/c...lt-weapon-ban/

Dripping with emotion, open at risk.
No big deal, we still have lots of guns...We use guns in Canada mainly for hunting game, not humans...No need for assault weapons here.

Old 05-02-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
No big deal, we still have lots of guns...We use guns in Canada mainly for hunting game, not humans...No need for assault weapons here.
To be fair, some humans deserve to be hunted. Just saying.

Old 05-02-2020, 09:01 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Canadians are mere SUBJECTS that willingly give up their Rights, Freedoms and Liberty to the Crown. Oooh, the Royals make us safe. LOL!
Ooopsy here we go again:

https://www.cato.org/human-freedom-index-new Hover your mouse and cover your mouth.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...est-countries/ Again hover your mouse to observe the scores - hint - the U.S. is again 12 places lower in all measurable freedoms.

Strangely enough it's even American agencies rating Canada higher in all freedoms - go figure. Guess they actually read something other than Hollywood scripts.

More: https://www.businessinsider.com/coun...e-world-2018-4

https://rsf.org/en/ranking_table

Getting the picture?

Old 05-03-2020, 08:27 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Assault weapons like the 3 shot Remington 7400? Classified as "military grade" under this new ban. As are all other semi automatic firearms.

Rifles like the 7400 have been taking game in the hands of hunters for a VERY long time. But now if you use such a rifle to hunt you're a criminal. Alrighty then.

One of the very worst mass shootings in history happened in 1966 at TX AM University. 17 people were killed 30 some odd wounded. And the shooter did not use a semi auto service style rifle.

He used a Remington 700 ADL 3 shot bolt action hunting rifle in 6mm. So, with that in mind Canadians will soon be giving up their hunting firearms soon enough when your government takes to labeling them "military grade sniper weapons."

No need for those up yonder either aye? Lol, I'm thinking Canadians best bone up on archery skills if they favor wild game meat. At least till someone figures out how to ban bows. Which they will.

I'll be watching with interest how this progresses up there. And be thankful I dont live there much as I like the countryside. But this will serve as an interesting social experiment. O e I believe will prove the true intent of firearms ban advocates.

Old 05-03-2020, 08:31 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,584,601 times
If Canadians willingly give up their Rights, Freedoms and Liberties, then they deserve to live under the yoke of OPPRESSION. I still can't believe that most people there would want that. Sad the government is allowed to do all this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies