Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it morally acceptable to do business in China
No, it is selfish and greedy bc you are supporting the abuse of humans right 14 82.35%
Yes bc even tho there are obvious human rights abuses the economic growth will help people more overall 3 17.65%
Yes, bc our only option would be doing business in places with worse human rights abuses 0 0%
Yes, morals shouldn't get in the way of doing business 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 04:36 PM

273 posts, read 96,839 times

Advertisements

I no longer view doing business in china from an economic standpoint, i view it from a moral standpoint.

I used to be for free trade with China, travelled to china a lot for business, enjoyed the culture and the lavish meals our chinese partners would spoil us with.

but now i'd prefer our country not do business with china even tho it will hurt our economy , simply from a moral perspective.

the Uyghur camps in xinjiang has gone to far, the disappearance of political dissidents has gone to far, the expansion in the south china sea has gone to far, the increased crackdown in tibet has gone to far, the strangle on HK and taiwan has gone to far, successfully convincing their entire 1.4B population that America brought the virus to China as a bioweapon went to far, during the peak of the crisis locking down Wuhan to domestic travel but allowing 50,000 chinese intl students fly out of Wuhan's airport to U.S. went to far, covering up the lab leak went to far, befriending Kim jung un went to far, currently harassing americans and africans in china has gone to far, the extreme propaganda and internet restrictions have gone to far, the list goes on and on

i used to turn a blind eye to all of this and focus on China's business ethics shortcomings, like stealing Intellectual Property, persuasion through gifts (gaunxi) ect ect, but now i only look at the human rights abuses.

i used to be a huge advocate for american companies pursuing business in china but i have completely changed since the lab leak.

i don't care how important China is to our country, i don't care how much our economy is hurt by a decoupling

i want the US to decouple as fast as possible , strictly from a moral issue, i dont want the U.S. to support a country that has selfishly hurt so many people. all i can think about is the uyghurs in the concentration camps when i think of china, i no longer can turn a blind eye, i no longer see dollar sings when i see china,

how can people continue to support doing business with a nation that has hurt so many innocent people?? its greedy and selfish and i feel dirty for having done business in china and having supported these human rights abuses

everytime we trade with china we a supporting the uyghur camps, we are supporting multiple human rights abuses and i can't support that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 04:40 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,175,190 times
I agree. It is clear that China is a brutal authoritarian regime.

I also wish we would do less business with Saudi Arabia, for the same reason.

Unfortunately, China has the cheap/slave labor and Saudi Arabia has the oil, so you can bet that Capitalist America will continue to do business with both countries. We Americans like to think that we are all about human rights / dignity, but actions speak louder than words.

Old 05-12-2020, 04:44 PM

25,808 posts, read 12,859,717 times
Ditch China now. Expell all Chinese, buy out all Chinese investments in the USA. Force U.S. company's to get out of China.

Vote for Trump if you want these things, vote for Biden or his replacement is a vote for China.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 05-12-2020 at 04:53 PM..

Old 05-12-2020, 05:08 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,175,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Ditch China now. Expell all Chinese, buy out all Chinese investments in the USA. Force U.S. company's to get out of China.

Vote for Trump if you want these things, vote for Biden or his replacement is a vote for China.
Homework assignment: where does Trump have the MAGA hats made? Where is his brand of clothing made? Trump talks tough about China, but again: actions speak louder than words.

Americans want cheap junk from China (because the experience of shopping is fun, who cares about quality?). So we will keep doing business with China. The experience of shopping beats human rights.

Americans want cheap oil so they can buy big pickup trucks and/or live in the suburbs. So we will continue to business with Saudi Arabia. Suburban living beats human rights.

Voting isn’t going to do a damm thing to change American desires and lifestyles.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:47 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,695,168 times
The American president Trump and his daughter Ivanka both have their products made in China. Every Trump flag you see, every MAGA hat, etc., all made in China. What does that say about the so-called leader of the free world? Slave labor is just dandy with Trump and family.

Not to worry. If Trump remains in office much longer he will have converted the US to a third world country with all the cheap labor any exploiter could want.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:50 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,040,338 times
It will be but it is tough.

There is no way we can cut off complete trade with China and so there has to be some transition.

And to be realistic -- the federal govt. has to help communities, businesses set up the systems to get out of China if it is serious.

But it will be campaigned on in simple terms of the USA just pulling away and that's that.

You think the social distance killed the economy --- add complete cut off with China and see what happens.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:56 PM

35,735 posts, read 21,087,398 times
No - I Pressed wrong button . You know they are terrible - yet they cut Cuba for lesser reasons. Hypocrites

Old 05-12-2020, 06:57 PM

16,112 posts, read 6,868,553 times
Like it or hate it the following is only my opinion:

I learned years ago when my dogs died of kidney failure that China was responsible for tampering with dog food.
They replaced some meat content with more cardboard. As if that wasn't bad enough they took it one step further
by adding ingredients similar to radiator fluid to falsely increase the protein levels so it can pass off as dogfood.

I could go on about other products sold to humans but how many times do people have to get kicked in the rear
before they learn to finally step out of the way?

I think it is time.............

Old 05-12-2020, 07:00 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,813,584 times
We have got to end business with China but it can't be abrupt.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:41 PM

16,112 posts, read 6,868,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
We have got to end business with China but it can't be abrupt.
Like it or hate it the following is only my opinion:

absolutely....................some times it is best to never strike while the hammer is hot............God Bless America!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies