Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 02:59 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,706,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballkick View Post
Yes, but it is extremely, extremely rare.

People say so and so is healthy like no other but in the end, they may have had a heart defect etc.
Of course. Anyone could have an "underlying health condition" and not know it. Maybe you have an arrhythmia and you don't know it. Maybe your thyroid isn't functioning optimally or maybe you have a blood clotting disorder that you don't know about because it hasn't bothered you yet. Maybe you're anemic. Maybe you once had a mild case of myocarditis after a cold but recovered... and now you have an underlying condition that you don't even know about that puts you at risk for developing heart disease. Maybe you just have a genetic glitch that will make your immune system go haywire if exposed to this particular disease.

All underlying conditions but no reason for you to necessarily believe you don't have any of them. So does this mean that if you get it and end up dying, it doesn't really matter because, after all, you had an "underlying health condition"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 03:02 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,110,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
NY is starting to feel like it's easing up but we will know about a week from now if things are back to normal
Well according to my West Coast senior citizen friends, 500 people are still dying a day in NYC. If that's so, why are things over there easing up?

Old 05-04-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
I’m not sure I like the flippant tone you have adopted. “What would anyone expect with someone at that age?” Well, how about not to die a horrible death isolated from loved ones? How about living another five or ten years? Just because you are over 80 with some kind of underlying condition does not mean you are at death’s door and would have died the next month anyway.
What do you think about all those other health issues I mentioned people are dying from? You accept those other ways I've listed that people in their 80's and beyond are dying from. Why not covid-19? You don't think those other ways are as bad?

Old 05-04-2020, 03:17 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,148,967 times
Nobody knows anybody who's had this garbage for sure........I have talked to 4 or 5 folks who think they had a funny flu like experience in Dec-Jan.........the libs with China's help have figured out how to kill a roaring economy in 2 months......quite a feat........

Old 05-04-2020, 03:22 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,792,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Well according to my West Coast senior citizen friends, 500 people are still dying a day in NYC. If that's so, why are things over there easing up?
Things are going to start to ease up in certain upstate counties starting May 15. Downstate it will be much longer before that happens. Schools are closed for the semester(we go very late- state exams are given thru June 26 or so).

Yesterday's death count was 222 I believe. We've been under 400 for several days. Still not good but better.

Old 05-04-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Nobody knows anybody who's had this garbage for sure........I have talked to 4 or 5 folks who think they had a funny flu like experience in Dec-Jan.........the libs with China's help have figured out how to kill a roaring economy in 2 months......quite a feat........
I've asked hundreds of people I personally know and none of them have confirmed cases, and none of the people they know have confirmed cases.

Now on the other hand, I know a guy who thinks he may have had it back in January of this year because he was sick with something that took him three weeks to get over. And then I came down with something that I got from him with symptoms that I've never experienced anytime before in my life. Though it only took me just a week to get over. It's all suspect. We didn't get a covid-19 test so we can't totally be sure it was/or was not covid-19.

Old 05-04-2020, 03:46 PM

14,891 posts, read 12,049,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Thank you for starting this thread. Funny that my friends and I were talking about this at the very beginning of Feb. We all agreed that COVID-19 was serious and we all needed to take it seriously, but our conclusion is that at the end of the day, none of us would personally know anybody who got it, so it is always other people's problem.

Well, one and half month later, my friend (32 year old, long time surfer, very healthy and fit) had Covid-19. He said he has never been "THIS" sick his entire life, but he finally recovered. (the symptoms last about 5 days)

On Jan 24th, I had a very strange mild cold. I had dry cough (then productive cough, then dry again), sore throat, running nose, but my symptoms only last about 2-3 days, I lost my sense of smell for couple of days, but then recovered. The cough, however was ongoing, I had it for 2 month and finally it stopped. I also had occasional chest tightness, sometimes, it was a bit hard to breath, but I believe it was just the anxiety associated with the pandemic because the so called chest tightness always got better with exercises. When I wasn't worried, my breathing was fine, when I was worried, It felt I had an elephant sitting on my chest. When I exercised or even just moved around, my breathing is fine. So I think I just had anxiety. lol

My uncle (an ER doctor) said the ongoing cough sounded like Post-nasal drip, the loss of smell sounded like A stuffy nose caused it, well, I didn't see him face to face, but two month ago, he didn't think I had covid-19, I had no fever, no pain, no nothing. Now, regarding the test, he said the test should STILL be reserved for people who need to work, since I quarantine myself at home and live alone with my fiance, the test is not necessary especially when I am symptoms free. If there is an antibody test for me, that would be great though.
Maybe you can get that antibody test down the road. It might well be positive, and I think there might be lots of people in that same boat.

Old 05-04-2020, 03:48 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,109,069 times
I personally know 4 people who got it. All recovered, but 1 was hospitalized, 1 had mild symptoms, and 2 had a rough ride but didn't go to the hospital.

I myself got antibody tests as well as a test for covid, just for fun. Was negative for both. Had several friends who did the same thing, were also negative.

Old 05-04-2020, 03:49 PM

39,044 posts, read 27,462,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Maybe you can get that antibody test down the road. It might well be positive, and I think there might be lots of people in that same boat.
yeah. I think so too.

Old 05-04-2020, 04:02 PM

12,956 posts, read 9,604,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
So depressing, reading all these stories.

stay healthy everyone. we are all in this together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies