Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 03:43 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The statistics clearly back that position up. The vast majority of people are sufficiently healthy that their immune systems are fending off this virus with relative ease. It is almost entirely people who are very old and frail - and they are vulnerable to almost everything that comes along - and people who have taken very poor care of themselves and who have weakened immune systems as a result.

This is a very helpful observation by Bill Maher and one that everyone should thank him for offering.

Healthy eating and exercise habits, and a little time spent regularly in the sun, is something everyone can do at comparatively low cost, compared to multi-trillion dollar government rescue packages, society-wide economic shutdowns, and of course the healthcare costs for people that need to be hospitalized, who would in many cases not need that if they just took better care of themselves.
I don't think they do. And while everyone, in any time, would be well-advised to exercise and eat well, for all kinds of reasons, the notion that this is all you need to protect you from deadly diseases is just wrong. Wild animals, who do nothing but breathe that healthy fresh air, enjoy the sunshine, and exercise, often succumb to microbial disease. Most live significantly longer in zoos, in good part due to lower exposure to disease and the medical care they receive. The immune system is extremely helpful. It is not an impregnable fortress.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 05-07-2020 at 04:13 PM..

Old 05-07-2020, 04:04 PM

3,743 posts, read 1,440,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yep, a healthy immune system helped by a healthy diet and moderate exercise with exposure to sunlight are the keys to health including this virus. Maher is right on this one. Certainly I'm even more focused on eating healthy and getting sun while taking some Vitamin D to help since covid hit our state in January.

The Authoritarian Nazis are wrong on all counts.
These Karen's are going to destroy society if they want to sit home all day for the next two years. Don't get me wrong the virus is out there, but society is going to have to find a way to live with the virus and become immune to it overtime. Just like how society learned to live with the Flu.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:58 PM

6,746 posts, read 3,361,971 times
So Bill Maher is now an expert on pathogens and microbes.

Who knew?

Old 05-08-2020, 10:51 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinion123 View Post
Right. Personally I did not like his video. He’s thinks he is a Microbiology expert now?

Yeah what a weirdo. He even twists illegal immigrants into his weird video.
There are no true "experts" with regards to this virus. None. Zero.

An expert is someone who truly knows and has mastery over a subject. An expert is not just someone who has studied a matter more than other people, but still does not know very much about it anyway, as is the case with the people that you would label as "experts" with regards to the coronavirus.

I wish there was a person who actually is an expert about the coronavirus. Sadly, there is not any such person now, and it does not appear that there is likely to be any time soon. If we are smart, we will be aware of that whenever we listen to people being falsely touted as "experts" on this or any other topic going forward.

At least Bill Maher is not pretending to be an "expert" when he clearly is not. That makes his insightful observations all the more refreshing and also all the more impressive.

Old 05-10-2020, 10:35 PM

9,907 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
But if you are healthy and live a healthy life style you can are also better off regardles?

Well, no one knows all the facts about this virus.. they keep having "experts" and "science" and then make claims and stay home orders, only to find out a few weeks later they were wrong.

I suppose being healthier gives you a better opportunity not to be sick,but the virus also randomly picks people based on if they congregate too close in a bunch, also the factories where lots of people work very close inhaling each others air, sneezes, etc... and it likes to hop around infecting people that way.

Being closed in with a bunch of people seem to make people sicker coz they are more contagious that way.. outside air dissipates it, seems like.

Old 09-20-2022, 06:20 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Remember, identity politics logic focuses not on the merits of the argument being made, but on the merits of the individual making the argument.
Very true.

It's kind of a no brainer for Maher to assert that healthy people with strong immune systems do better with covid than the elderly and health compromised. The compromised- in some way- are primarily the people the covid regulations were out to protect the most and I, for one, am grateful for those rules and regs and vaccines.

I am curious as to why Maher thinks smoking marijuana a lot contributes to good health and immunity. Strikes me as hypocritical. Did he miss the wisdom on smoking anything= bad for lungs?

Old 09-20-2022, 06:24 AM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
What a great thread bump. Here we are 2 years later and Maher was still right.

The best solution to fighting COVID is your: immune system

Old 09-20-2022, 07:36 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
What a great thread bump. Here we are 2 years later and Maher was still right.

The best solution to fighting COVID is your: immune system
And with the help of vaccination it does a good job for most. But that's hardly all there is to it. I sure wish I had personal command over my immune system- I'd never catch anything!

Sweden tried a modified shut down and they still experienced plenty of deaths.

Old 09-20-2022, 12:21 PM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
And with the help of vaccination it does a good job for most. But that's hardly all there is to it. I sure wish I had personal command over my immune system- I'd never catch anything!

Sweden tried a modified shut down and they still experienced plenty of deaths.
Then all of Africa would be dead right now, per your logic.

99% survival rate speaks for itself, this "pandemic" was nothing your immune system couldn't handle unless you already treated it like crap by being obese or chain smoking, in which the vaccine still couldn't save you.
Quote:
In sum, these data show that, overall, Black, Hispanic, and AIAN people have experienced higher rates of COVID-19 infection and death compared to White people
https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covi...ges-over-time/

The vaccine didn't save people of color, because people of color are disproportionately unhealthy. The vaccine is no substitute for a health lifestyle.

When all of Africa starts dropping like flies, who are still largely unvaxed, then perhaps you can shutdown the planet for 2.5 years and cause a recession. Otherwise, the solution was far worse than the problem.

Last edited by Rocko20; 09-20-2022 at 12:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies