U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 11:09 AM

19,423 posts, read 6,950,053 times

Advertisements

I do not agree with Bill Maher about very much. But from time to time, he nails it. As he has done here.

Quote:
Maher: The Key To Beating COVID Is Your Immune System, "You Can't Keep All The Pathogens Out"

"I worry that the past two months of quarantine have given people the idea that way for humans to win our million-year war with microbes is to avoid them completely. And I'm here to tell you you can't," Maher said. "The key to beating COVID isn't dining through glass or never going to a concert or a ball game again. It's your immune system.

"You hear people say, "COVID-19 is a new virus so the immune system doesn't know how to handle it." Bull****, of course it does. That's why the vast majority of people who have had it have either recovered or didn't even know they had it. What do you think did that? The human immune system. There are people with immune systems that can't do the job and we should make it a priority to protect those people. But compulsively washing, being scared of your own hands? That can't become the new normal."

"You can keep discovering new places to scare people into buying protection for, but we're solving the problem from the wrong end," he argued. "This is a health problem; we can't sanitize the universe. Governors should declare keeping our bodies in good health an essential job because that is the only way we are going to win this."
We cannot win our never ending war against microbes by trying to avoid them completely or by trying to sanitize the entire universe around us. This is literally impossible. It cannot be done. By trying to handle this in this way, as Maher eloquently states, we are 'solving the problem from the wrong end'.

Our immune systems are remarkably effective and they have proven that, yet again, during this latest coronavirus episode. This is not our first encounter with coronaviruses, by any means. The VAST percentage of people who get this bug have either no symptoms, or extremely mild symptoms. The people who have gotten sicker or died have in the VAST percentage of cases been people who have not taken care of themselves physically and whose immune systems are weaker as a result and not nearly as able to fight this infection off, as most other people are able to do.

The answer here is not a vaccine, it is "keeping our bodies in good health". That includes eating a diverse, balanced diet, making sure you do not have shortages or excesses of macro-nutrients (Protein, fat and carbohydrates) and also key vitamins, which you will get plenty of without the need for supplements if you are consistently eating a balanced diet.

As far as "How much" you should eat, here is a very helpful tool, called a macro-nutrient calculator, which should help you to develop some standards for yourself.

You also need to get regular exercise. No need to go overboard as far as the intensity, but you do need to be borderline obsessive about doing this consistently and frequently (4-6 times a week). Walking is fine, cycling, swimming, etc.. If you want to try to start lifting weights, here is an excellent workout program that you will almost certainly make great gains on. It is called Stronglifts 5X5.

Everyone also needs to get outside regularly to get some sun, as vitamin D is key to maintaining the strength and health of our immune systems. Contrary to what you may think, you cannot easily get what you need from food or supplements. Rather, your body produces it in large quantities when you are exposed to sunlight. Getting outside 15 minutes three times a week is plenty. Here is a short article that explains more:

Quote:
How to Safely Get Vitamin D From Sunlight

For example, in the UK, 13 minutes of midday sunlight exposure during summer three times per week is enough to maintain healthy levels among Caucasian adults.

Another study found that 30 minutes of midday summer sun exposure in Oslo, Norway was equivalent to consuming 10,000–20,000 IU of vitamin D.

The commonly recommended daily dose of vitamin D is 600 IU (15 mcg) (3).
So if you really want everyone to be protected against this virus in the very best possible way, the answer is not vaccines, or shutdowns, or protective clothing, or obsessive sanitizing behavior. It is "keeping our bodies in good health". No pills, no government mandates, no monthly payments and no "experts" required.

As far as those who are too weak and feeble to do any of this, they probably need to be quarantined. Everyone else, you now know what you need to do.

Last edited by Spartacus713; 05-03-2020 at 11:17 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 11:24 AM

14,381 posts, read 4,716,068 times
Sacrilege!!!!

Ban him!!!

Burn him at the stake!!

Warning: NSFW.......or snowflakes..

https://youtu.be/JSbT7JVNEU4

Old 05-03-2020, 11:35 AM

37,541 posts, read 20,114,654 times
There's one problem for Team Vaccine... there's no profit in the immune system.

I can respect Maher - because even though he thinks differently and has a different life philosophy - he doesn't avoid the truth - and some things are simply not a matter of left or right opinion, it's just true. He is absolutely right here.

The overwhelming majority of people who has succumbed to the coronavirus were compromised in the health in some way.

I am big on allowing my immune system to work in lieu of taking medicine except in extreme cases.

One more thing... I like the MyPillow guy, but Maher's line on that was funny - because I understand Maher's perspective, and he wove his perspective into that line on pillows.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 05-03-2020 at 11:44 AM..

Old 05-03-2020, 03:23 PM

19,423 posts, read 6,950,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
There's one problem for Team Vaccine... there's no profit in the immune system.

I can respect Maher - because even though he thinks differently and has a different life philosophy - he doesn't avoid the truth - and some things are simply not a matter of left or right opinion, it's just true. He is absolutely right here.

The overwhelming majority of people who has succumbed to the coronavirus were compromised in the health in some way.

I am big on allowing my immune system to work in lieu of taking medicine except in extreme cases.

One more thing... I like the MyPillow guy, but Maher's line on that was funny - because I understand Maher's perspective, and he wove his perspective into that line on pillows.
Yeah, how will team vaccine be able to take advantage of everyone if the answer is for everyone to take personal responsibility for their own health.

Virtually everyone who has died from this disease has health problems, in many cases which can be fixed by living a healthier lifestyle. At the end of the day, even a vaccine relies on our immunity system to fight off this disease.

Maher is right on about this.

Old 05-03-2020, 03:52 PM

7,710 posts, read 11,096,811 times
Maher nails it.

Folks have got to stop listening to the mainstream media and their panic and fear mongering of this virus.

The virus will always exist.

We gotta live our lives and go about our business still.

Old 05-03-2020, 04:02 PM

24,278 posts, read 13,372,387 times
Yep, a healthy immune system helped by a healthy diet and moderate exercise with exposure to sunlight are the keys to health including this virus. Maher is right on this one. Certainly I'm even more focused on eating healthy and getting sun while taking some Vitamin D to help since covid hit our state in January.

The Authoritarian Nazis are wrong on all counts.

Old 05-03-2020, 04:59 PM

216 posts, read 491,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
I do not agree with Bill Maher about very much. But from time to time, he nails it. As he has done here.

We cannot win our never ending war against microbes by trying to avoid them completely or by trying to sanitize the entire universe around us. This is literally impossible. It cannot be done. By trying to handle this in this way, as Maher eloquently states, we are 'solving the problem from the wrong end'.

Our immune systems are remarkably effective and they have proven that, yet again, during this latest coronavirus episode. This is not our first encounter with coronaviruses, by any means. The VAST percentage of people who get this bug have either no symptoms, or extremely mild symptoms. The people who have gotten sicker or died have in the VAST percentage of cases been people who have not taken care of themselves physically and whose immune systems are weaker as a result and not nearly as able to fight this infection off, as most other people are able to do.

The answer here is not a vaccine, it is "keeping our bodies in good health". That includes eating a diverse, balanced diet, making sure you do not have shortages or excesses of macro-nutrients (Protein, fat and carbohydrates) and also key vitamins, which you will get plenty of without the need for supplements if you are consistently eating a balanced diet.

As far as "How much" you should eat, here is a very helpful tool, called a macro-nutrient calculator, which should help you to develop some standards for yourself.

You also need to get regular exercise. No need to go overboard as far as the intensity, but you do need to be borderline obsessive about doing this consistently and frequently (4-6 times a week). Walking is fine, cycling, swimming, etc.. If you want to try to start lifting weights, here is an excellent workout program that you will almost certainly make great gains on. It is called Stronglifts 5X5.

Everyone also needs to get outside regularly to get some sun, as vitamin D is key to maintaining the strength and health of our immune systems. Contrary to what you may think, you cannot easily get what you need from food or supplements. Rather, your body produces it in large quantities when you are exposed to sunlight. Getting outside 15 minutes three times a week is plenty. Here is a short article that explains more:

So if you really want everyone to be protected against this virus in the very best possible way, the answer is not vaccines, or shutdowns, or protective clothing, or obsessive sanitizing behavior. It is "keeping our bodies in good health". No pills, no government mandates, no monthly payments and no "experts" required.

As far as those who are too weak and feeble to do any of this, they probably need to be quarantined. Everyone else, you now know what you need to do.

Excellent post. Bill just said everything I've been thinking for the last seven weeks.
Thanks.

Old 05-03-2020, 06:52 PM

2,786 posts, read 878,263 times
Well, I'm gonna go with the Mayo Clinic, instead of Dr. Maher: For most adults, hypertension (high blood pressure) has no identifiable cause. That means "... keeping our bodies in good health..." is a nice goal, but hardly something that explains all these dead people.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20373410

This kind of statement: "...who have not taken care of themselves physically..." - - is what causes people to be confused by the information they see every day.

Now - will you find authorities that say losing weight and fixing your diet will lower your BP? Of course. If you're obese and love fried chicken to start with. But that's not the majority of HBP cases.

https://www.webmd.com/hypertension-h...l-hypertension

Old 05-03-2020, 06:53 PM

20,969 posts, read 4,645,021 times
Well I'll be damned!

Old 05-03-2020, 06:56 PM

36,957 posts, read 17,613,329 times
Well I've been waiting and waiting for Bill Maher to tell us all he knows about viruses. Thank goodness he's sharing his expertise. Between Trump and Maher -- who needs medical people. Scientists, pffft........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies