Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 08:15 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
In America, they are free to quit their jobs under Employment At Will.
What does that have to do with the topic at hand, and how does someone quitting their job help their economic situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 08:17 PM

34,041 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
What does that have to do with the topic at hand, and how does someone quitting their job help their economic situation?
You brought up those fearing having to go to work.

They need not fear it. They can quit and stay home. Freedom is a wonderful thing. Decisions have consequences, which adults accept.

Old 05-03-2020, 08:21 PM

17,621 posts, read 6,905,165 times
Quote:
You brought up those fearing having to go to work.

They need not fear it. They can quit and stay home. Freedom is a wonderful thing. Decisions have consequences, which adults accept.
She thinks everyone else needs to cater to her irrational panic and fear.

Old 05-03-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
She thinks everyone else needs to cater to her irrational panic and fear.

agreed. She also thinks folks not wanting to work should be subsidized.

Old 05-03-2020, 08:31 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Here's my fear: these numbers are so easy to manipulate, and with the liberal governors trying to keep their states shut, it's easy to inflate. It used to be that if someone died from the end stage of cancer but ALSO caught COVID in the hospital, they counted it as a COVID death; but now, they don't even have to get a positive or test at all. If a person has symptoms of COVID (in addition to being at the tail end of, say, pancreatic cancer), they call it a COVID death.

The other thing to explore is the fact that they were predicting a very bad flu season, and the number of flu deaths came in much lower. Liberals are attributing that to the lockdown, but could it not be that people who died with flu are being instead labeled as COVID, so that the number of flu deaths is more than being reported while the number of COVID deaths is lower?
Texas is not a blue state and is showing a spike....explain that

Old 05-03-2020, 08:33 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
I think we have got to the point where rational people can greatly reduce their odds of catching this virus by voluntarily social distancing. It takes some work. I've told my son I don't want to see him for the time being. I allow no one in the house except the wife's caretaker who I am confident is social distancing herself. At work we maintain social distance. Yesterday I did eat out on the patio of a local restaurant.

Let the idiots achieve that herd immunity. I can take reasonable precautions that really don't effect my life much.

This is one of the few springs I haven't caught a cold. I may make social distancing a habit even after the vaccine.

The people that are going to eff things up are the people, you see a lot of thenm on this forum, who underestimate this virus. Most activities can be done while social distancing. Certain businesses such as salons are a more difficult situation that will require regulations.

High death tolls will kill businesses regardless of government actions.

Old 05-03-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Texas is not a blue state and is showing a spike....explain that
a spike..barely

20 Texas deaths covid yesterday.NY 299.Texas has 160% NY State's population.

Texas 1,026 new cases, same day NY 3,438 Again the state with 160% NY population had 30% as many new cases the same day.

That's the kind of spike America needs more of.

Couldn't flatten a bike tire.

Old 05-03-2020, 08:36 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
46 states have initiated shutdowns. How many Republican governors are there? More than 4?

Why did Trump infer one governor was moving too quickly on opening thinks up?

Old 05-03-2020, 08:43 PM

4,507 posts, read 1,862,401 times
If Biden hadn’t been a rapist we would all be allowed to go down the street and throw one back at the bar

Buuuut, well, ya know lol

Old 05-03-2020, 08:50 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
a spike..barely

20 Texas deaths covid yesterday.NY 299.Texas has 160% NY State's population.

Texas 1,026 new cases, same day NY 3,438 Again the state with 160% NY population had 30% as many new cases the same day.

That's the kind of spike America needs more of.

Couldn't flatten a bike tire.
I wasn't referring to a spike in deaths -- in cases as reported by THEIR department of health.

I'm not debating that Texas numbers are absolutely better than NYC.

The poster was implying that 'blue' state governors were reporting spikes to justfiy closures.

I was asking about the logic of Texas Dept. of Health reporting three days in a row of 1,000 new cases.
as a red state.

That was my point.

And as for New York State --- when you have the biggest city in the country that is densely populated, that requires extensive public transportation systems etc...you should and would see more cases per capita -- I am not anti opening up. I'm embracing a slow, measured approach -- making sure that there isn't a spike in a community.

I think that suggesting blue state governors are trying to make things worse so they can keep things closed is silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies