Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2020, 02:23 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
While I don't disagree that conservatives tend to be much more individualistic than collectivist, I would kindly ask you to watch where you paint with your broad brush. I consider myself to be conservative, but I also acknowledge that the world is not black and white. There are times when it's better to subsume your own freedom for the greater good, and I believe that wearing masks during a global pandemic is one of those times.

I have previously mentioned the experience of South Korea in regards to wearing masks. I am not Korean, but I have a number of friends who are, and I have visited that country. In general, they tend to be far more collectivist than we are. And in general, that's not the way that I want to live my life. But in this particular case, the fatality statistics between Seoul and New York indicate to me that their approach is the right one and ours (well, some of us, anyway) is the wrong one.
That is why I included the word 'generally' after that phrase, because of course not everyone fits nicely into one category or the other, but generally, the bulk do one way or the other. We need a balance in all things, including a balance in our sense of individual and our sense of community spirit.

I used to live in Korea and my spouse is Korean, so you pretty much got it right in your OP and I would not want to live my life like that either. Conversely, I do not want the opposite extreme of everyone for himself all the time as some of these people are calling for.

Again, we need a balance.

Old 05-04-2020, 02:29 PM

615 posts, read 1,075,601 times
Does anyone really believe that these restrictions will be permanent? I seem to remember the constitution saying the government can take action for the general welfare of the nation. But then again they really don't care about the constitution, they just hate government and modern society.

Old 05-04-2020, 02:35 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post
Does anyone really believe that these restrictions will be permanent? I seem to remember the constitution saying the government can take action for the general welfare of the nation. But then again they really don't care about the constitution, they just hate government and modern society.
General welfare? That could be anything. Its such an elastic term its meaningless, but then thats the constitution isn't it?

Old 05-04-2020, 02:47 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Forget the constitution as a defender of rights, and just ignore the edict. Only rightful property owners can mandate masks.
Depends on the executive authorities/ powers granted within each state constitution.

Old 05-04-2020, 03:04 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
General welfare? That could be anything. Its such an elastic term its meaningless, but then thats the constitution isn't it?
At least you know the phrase exists within the Constitution. That gives you one up on many of the people posting in this forum.

Old 05-04-2020, 03:18 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Go ahead and explain which provision of the Constitution is being violated here. In fact, state of emergency powers have been upheld numerous times by the courts - it's called estado de sitio.
Depends. I don't think you understand what emergency powers mean. On public property they can. On Private property some samples when we have Natural disasters, in order to rebuild structures. When it's war related. If you're talking about anything long term, then no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Next time you pretend to be a Constitutional scholar, maybe check your info.
Arrogance and ignorance are 2 horrible qualities.

Old 05-04-2020, 03:27 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
if you don’t wear a mask it’s a $300 fine. And they had the gall to call Trump a dictator!

Seig Heil!
How about some Common sense and some Common decency?

Will it Kill you to wear a mask?

The fact that the Government has to "force" you to do something for the benefit of our common health speaks volumes about a certain segment of our society.

It's all about "Me !"

Grow up !

Old 05-04-2020, 03:28 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Depends. I don't think you understand what emergency powers mean. On public property they can. On Private property some samples when we have Natural disasters, in order to rebuild structures. When it's war related. If you're talking about anything long term, then no.

Arrogance and ignorance are 2 horrible qualities.
Explain to us what emergency powers means then. We’re waiting.

Old 05-04-2020, 03:37 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,609,858 times
It's really a shame that there is a vocal minority of people who make a political issue out of something simple they should be doing to give themselves and others around them (including the very vulnerable elderly population and those with vulnerable health conditions) the best chance possible of not catching a horrible life threatening disease by taking protective measures. That vocal minority has made themselves known on this forum.

I take comfort in the fact that most people really do have a conscious to care about their neighbors' and their own well-being, but it's for those that represent the bottom of the barrel who don't really care about anyone and think they can behave any way they want in a public space, that such laws exist for and should be targeted at. That's actually the basis of many of our criminal and civil laws mandating how people act or don't act in public, to give some teeth in modifying the very worst of the worst in human behavior, which is what's at play here.

Last edited by Jowel; 05-04-2020 at 03:48 PM..

Old 05-04-2020, 03:44 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
So YOU can hop a non-stop flight. In my liberal state, the governor has declared ALL non-essential travel illegal. (Aren't you in Indiana? You have a Republican governor.)

And it doesn't matter how many have been stopped and ticketed. The point is that the governor has declared HIS RIGHT to do so. Can't you get that? What if he said nobody can work in their gardens, or they will get a ticket for $1000? The very idea that he is issuing such draconian edicts is what is alarming. What is more alarming is that leftists are either accepting it or downplaying it.
I am 50 miles NW of Chicago, not Indiana. ORD is the third busiest airport in the US. There are flights departing all airports. No one is asked the purpose of their flight.

Since you mentioned Indiana, it is slowly reopening, region by region, in 5 stages through mid July, while continuing to impose social distancing, gathering and capacity controls. The Governor was recently filmed not observing social distancing and not wearing a mask while picking up a carry out dinner order. He owned it and apologized for his lapse in judgement. Cool.

Seems to me it makes more sense to make decisions by regions/ counties within states. St Pete’s/ Clearwater beaches have opened and taking action to prevent the Spring Break optics. In contrast, Miami beaches will likely not open till some point in late June because it remains a hot spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies