Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 08:30 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Yes, Trump is racist. But the phrase isn't.

First, Chinese is a nationality, not a race. Second, more to the point, let's keep in mind the "Spanish flu" from 1918. That referred to a country, and so does this.

The stupidity is that it's not unusual for an illness to come from China, so it's too general a name. It would have been better to stick with "Wuhan virus." Or I would have enjoyed, like the swine or avian flu, the "pangolin virus."
1. It never had another name before Spanish flu
2. WHO specifically called out naming practices for diseases to avoid doing something like branding a disease based on origin. https://www.who.int/mediacentre/news...w-diseases/en/

Quote:
“In recent years, several new human infectious diseases have emerged. The use of names such as ‘swine flu’ and ‘Middle East Respiratory Syndrome’ has had unintended negative impacts by stigmatizing certain communities or economic sectors,” says Dr Keiji Fukuda, Assistant Director-General for Health Security, WHO. “This may seem like a trivial issue to some, but disease names really do matter to the people who are directly affected. We’ve seen certain disease names provoke a backlash against members of particular religious or ethnic communities, create unjustified barriers to travel, commerce and trade, and trigger needless slaughtering of food animals. This can have serious consequences for peoples’ lives and livelihoods.”
3. Pointing out they called it the Spanish flu, misses the point that publications have started moving away from that name and calling it some iteration of 1918 flu bc they've started to realize it's setting a racist standard.

4. Trump purposely created the new name to do exactly what WHO said should not be done when new diseases. So when WHO points out that using descriptors based on regions or people's has a way of making racists act all racist-y, and then Trump does it? That's how a racist behaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 08:33 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:

First, Chinese is a nationality, not a race. Second, more to the point, let's keep in mind the "Spanish flu" from 1918. That referred to a country, and so does this.

The stupidity is that it's not unusual for an illness to come from China, so it's too general a name. It would have been better to stick with "Wuhan virus." Or I would have enjoyed, like the swine or avian flu, the "pangolin virus."

Are you referring to the Trump Virus?

Old 05-11-2020, 08:29 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,100,100 times
why are liberals more concerned with not appearing racist over anything else?

Old 05-11-2020, 11:40 PM

17,800 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:

The Spanish Flu did't come from Spain and it is highly likely that it actually came from Kansas.

Old 05-11-2020, 11:41 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Yes, Trump is racist.
Huh? His son-in-law is Jewish and his daughter converted to Judaism

He’s not a very good racist

Old 05-11-2020, 11:44 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
why are liberals more concerned with not appearing racist over anything else?
Because repeatedly electing old white men to represent their party gives them insecurity.

Think about the irony, the party of blacks, Asians, Hispanic, and gays... Is a rich old straight white man. What the hell would Biden know about being a minority?

You couldn’t make this up if you tried.

Old 05-11-2020, 11:48 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Huh? His son-in-law is Jewish and his daughter converted to Judaism

He’s not a very good racist
In high school I dated a girl whose parents were linked to the KKK. They tolerated me (I am not Black but Asian) and weren't mean or anything but they didn't make attempts to hide their disapproval of our relationship. One thing that stuck with me all these years... red solo cup... It will have a different meaning to me. They served everyone in a glass but I always got served in a red solo cup.

I married a jewish woman whose father had racist views and also never approved. His excuse was that our children will never be accepted by society and it would be our fault bringing in "that type" of child into this world.

A coworker of mine has obvious racist views but I've never witnessed discriminating behaviors. He has many black friends... but god forbid his daughter date a black man.

Racism is a very individual thing.... Its personal views... There are many racists but not all of them project their views nor actively discriminate. Children eventually will grow into adults.. they make their choices and adopt their own views and not necessarily reflective of their parents and vice versa.

Oh and I have some Chinese ancestry. I think calling it Chinese Virus is certainly not tactful considering the political climate.. but racist.. nah. Certainly didn't do the community of Chinese American citizens any favors.....

Last edited by usayit; 05-11-2020 at 11:59 PM..

Old 05-11-2020, 11:52 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Yes, Trump is racist.
Just a plain old racist? ...not a white supremacist?

Old 05-11-2020, 11:57 PM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
It originated in China, it's a Chinese virus, or Wuhan virus. If you want to cry over that terminology, go ahead.
Why then isn't the 1918 pandemic the American Flu instead of the bogus Spanish Flu? It started in the US. It is an archaic practice to name diseases after locations, especially global pandemics.

Trump, a known racist, delights in using coded and vaguely racist terms. He thinks it's cute. It is all part of his ongoing broader endeavor to flush this country down the toilet by undermining its values and demeaning anyone that does not agree with him or shows an ounce of courage by standing up to him. That is what "winning" has decayed to in his mind.

Old 05-12-2020, 12:02 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,524,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
4. Trump purposely created the new name to do exactly what WHO said should not be done when new diseases. So when WHO points out that using descriptors based on regions or people's has a way of making racists act all racist-y, and then Trump does it? That's how a racist behaves.
He purposely did it to drive home the responsibility to China for their dishonesty. Most recognise that is reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies