Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will America re-open smoothly
Yes 6 6.32%
Some minor hiccups 35 36.84%
No 54 56.84%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 09:50 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Then in that case, I don't see how the economy will escape from the Second Great Depression. If it's judged that stadiums can't be safely opened for fans to watch football this fall, then a great depression it is.
Oh, its much worse than a depression! This will be something not many citizens have seen before.

Some places opened here today, and while I was out at work, nearly all of them looked dead, there were not any more cars on the road today (compared to last week), I saw a couple stores had resorted to putting big painted signs, as large as they could get, and put it right out in front...'WE ARE NOW OPEN', but parking lots remained empty every time I looked over there.

I also noticed there were quite a few places that are NOT re opening, either because they have gone under or they do not feel safe enough yet.

They have kept people at home for over a month...and then they just expect everyone to come out like nothing happened? LOL Yeah right, Not happening, alot of people have gotten used to this new way of life, I think this taught them its best to save money and not waste so much on shopping for useless junk or going out to eat so often, This has certainly impacted my opinion on eating out, its MUCH cheaper to just eat at home or grill out, I wont be eating out hardly at all now, it wastes too much money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 10:03 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
The stay at home orders have absolutely helped. Do we really want our family members dying because some of you want this herd immunity. One of my best friends is a nurse at testing sites. She has tested people of all ages including infants and young children. Why should these children be at risk just because you don't like it.
Because the "lockdown" failed to contain it-and was never MEANT to contain it. It was only to flatten the curve. It's too widespread now. Most WILL be exposed. And most of those exposed will not even know it. Keep the nursing homes and the elderly locked down. And get this over with. We aren't going to have a vaccine in any meaningful timeframe, and given the amount of people already carrying it, it's not going away.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:08 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Because the "lockdown" failed to contain it-and was never MEANT to contain it. It was only to flatten the curve. It's too widespread now. Most WILL be exposed. And most of those exposed will not even know it. Keep the nursing homes and the elderly locked down. And get this over with. We aren't going to have a vaccine in any meaningful timeframe, and given the amount of people already carrying it, it's not going away.
In our state the elderly aren't dying as much as other age groups. This virus doesn't age discriminate. The stay at home orders are in place because our health system is overloaded with cases. Why don't we think about them.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:27 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,471,152 times
I'm a big mask proponent - masks are not a fool-proof guarantee of no infection, but some protection is better than none at all. This is worth a read:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
I have a problem with authority but I have an even bigger problem with stupid. Here in Taiwan the coronavirus pandemic is essentially over because 95% of the population voluntarily wore face masks from Day 1, which the government made readily available to everyone for 15 cents each.

As a result we never had a lockdown. Schools, restaurants, businesses have remained open and functioning normally. No mass layoffs. No shortages. The last new case of coronavirus spread in Taiwan was three weeks ago. The only new cases since were returning citizens who were infected elsewhere. The last death was six weeks ago and only 6 people out of a population of 24 million died of the coronavirus.

In times of trouble a little rational behavior goes a long way.
That said, I've also felt from the beginning we must to find a way to live with this or our society will go under. As it is, things are going to be pretty darn painful for a long time to come.

Realistically, if we go back to all our huge audience events - festivals, holiday plays and concerts, jam-packed restaurants and bars, sporting events, there WILL be tens of thousands of young and healthy infected - which means pandemic all over again as hospitals are overrun with young and middle-age people. NYC had plenty of 50 y/o's as patients. Also, there are enough stories in the papers - and on this thread - of the really young, healthy dying - we would be foolish not to expect a medical crisis.

Of course, isolating grandma and grandpa - are we to do that permanently with them never seeing family as their children go on about their lives doing all the things they love?

And, anyone in a nursing home will always be a sitting duck - as it is their caretakers who are bringing this virus into these facilities. Which means all caretakers in every facility need to be tested weekly - because they will be going home to people who are out in the world and possibly asymptomatic and/or infected/contagious.

Old 05-05-2020, 08:12 AM

2,774 posts, read 902,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShySkye View Post
Since you don't care if you get the virus or even give it to others, will you refuse hospital care if you get sick? It's only fair to those you may infect.
I'm not ill. Are you aware that the number of deaths and the estimated lethality have been greatly exaggerated? Are you aware that fraud has been involved in reporting deaths of people (usually older with numerous chronic health issues) as attributed to COVID? Have you considered some of the insane contradictions in the protocols we are told we must follow?

We can go to a crowded grocery store, where the floors approaching the check outs are neatly labeled telling us to stay 6 feet apart, 6 feet apart, 6 feet apart (666, had to throw that in, you may or may not get it) Fact is, it is impossible to consistently maintain the sacred 6 foot safe halo they are telling us will save humanity. In the mean time I haven't been able to go to the small Thai restaurant up the street for a long time, and if this mandated OCD behavior doesn't end soon, they, along with thousands of other small businesses may go belly up. The numbers change daily, hourly depending on how much time you spend watching them. And as soon as you see the new numbers, another click or two will present you with conflicting information.

How long are you willing to live in a bubble before the experts of the moment give the all clear?

Old 05-05-2020, 08:13 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,380,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
I'm not ill. Are you aware that the number of deaths and the estimated lethality have been greatly exaggerated? Are you aware that fraud has been involved in reporting deaths of people (usually older with numerous chronic health issues) as attributed to COVID? Have you considered some of the insane contradictions in the protocols we are told we must follow?

We can go to a crowded grocery store, where the floors approaching the check outs are neatly labeled telling us to stay 6 feet apart, 6 feet apart, 6 feet apart (666, had to throw that in, you may or may not get it) Fact is, it is impossible to consistently maintain the sacred 6 foot safe halo they are telling us will save humanity. In the mean time I haven't been able to go to the small Thai restaurant up the street for a long time, and if this mandated OCD behavior doesn't end soon, they, along with thousands of other small businesses may go belly up. The numbers change daily, hourly depending on how much time you spend watching them. And as soon as you see the new numbers, another click or two will present you with conflicting information.

How long are you willing to live in a bubble before the experts of the moment give the all clear?
Once again, it isn't all about the number of deaths. It is about spreading the contraction of the virus out over a period of time, instead of everyone getting it all at once. This helps to keep the numbers manageable at any one time so the healthcare system isn't overwhelmed.

Old 05-05-2020, 08:33 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post

You can't get takeout? Where I live most places have still been doing takeout orders as normal.

Old 05-05-2020, 09:21 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
This. We're not going to stop this. All we're doing is prolonging the pain. Just get it over with.

Old 05-05-2020, 10:31 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Do you think all will go smoothly, or will there be some bumps in the road, or will there be major issues?
It's hard to say. There's way too many unknowns.

The numbers are not encouraging.

You're still averaging 25,000+ cases per day. In fact, in the last 4 days, 2 have been 30,000+ and 2 have been 29,500+.

Still averaging 1,500+ deaths per day.

That doesn't count the 10s of 1,000s in ICU or in hospital but not in ICU or at home sick.

And that's after 7 weeks of lock-down.

What that tells me is the lock-down did not stop the spread of the virus, it only stopped the large-scale rapid spread of the virus.

It's still out there spreading, albeit slowly. Based on that, it's likely about 4-6 weeks from now you'll be right back where you started.

It might have been best to do a test-run first.

You have 384 Metropolitan Statistical Areas.

Put their names in a hat, draw one out, let them reopen and see what actually happens.

If, 28 Days Later, everything is fine, let everyone reopen.

Another lock-down is going to be problematic. I don't think it could be enforced without heavy police or military involvement (and that would be National Guard, not federal troops).

If the numbers don't change, then it wouldn't be a problem.

You won't be back to normal in a day. It'll take a few weeks.

So long as the virus doesn't start transmitting at higher rates again, you'll be fine.

Old 05-05-2020, 10:57 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Do you think all will go smoothly, or will there be some bumps in the road, or will there be major issues?
I expect we'll see a significant uptick in C19 cases and deaths a few weeks after this re-opening.

Hope not, but that's what the experts are predicting.

BTW, not an expert.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies