Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 12:35 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
Several of my friends have commented that of everybody they know, I seem to be the only one is hasn't gone stir crazy over this.

I am still working, but I'm working from home, and have been for several weeks. I'm dreading going back to the office, and wish working from home could become a permanent thing. My home is more comfortable, and I prefer being with my critters all day (well, most of the time. The new puppy was a holy terror today), as opposed to my coworkers. In fact, most of my friends have noticed from my social media postings that I seem a lot calmer.

My boss and coworkers keep talking about how they miss seeing everybody (in the office), and I'm kinda...."Nope. I'd be perfectly okay never setting eyes on you guys again."

I think what helps me is 1.) I'm more of a reader, by nature, so while I'd like to go out (or have people over), it doesn't stress me quite as much if I can't (I tend to prefer smaller, quieter gatherings anyway), and 2.) The aforementioned puppy takes a *lot* of my time/energy, so quite possibly it's not giving me much chance to miss going out.

Mmm yeah I don't have a WFH job but would love one. I find my alternate duties tolerable right now but a WFH job would be the most suitable for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
You're introverted?

The "I miss" list you posted on page 1 would fill up my entire lifetime 100 times over.

If that's "introverted" I'm comatose in a dark room.

It made me pause but I'm 100 percent introverted so I'm probably an anomaly even among other introverts. Well that and I live in an environment that fuels my hibernation so if you live in the happening beach paradises you're probably apt to want to go out a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I do believe in honoring Employment At Will, allowing anyone to quit without notice, at any job w/o a binding contract.

Wanted to quit shortly after I got there but you know who's going to help me save for a down payment?
Employers haven't given me a choice.
If I quit after things go back to normal do I get unemployment? Probably not..

Old 05-05-2020, 03:32 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Trust me, I hate it.

I wanna go out on weekends again, I miss hitting up the bar with friends and playing pool, going to get drinks after work, hitting this cool spot for lunch with co workers.

There's this girl I haven't seen since all this started, and I miss her alot. I miss just going to my friend's recording studio and working on projects, and overall just being out of the house with a destination in mind...

I miss the world being normal.

But I get why this stay home order was enacted. I have grandparents and my parents aren't young anymore. My aunt was in the hospital, thankfully not for the virus, but she is fail. Not to mention my uncle broke his ribs and can barely help her right now. So my aunt has to drive to the market and my cousin who's in high school has to go buy groceries for her because she can't risk going in.

But that also means he risks bring the virus to her after shopping.

Libera/conservative/libertarian, anarcho, whatever.. We're all restless and this effin' sucks..

We all want our lives back. And these idiots out there protesting ARE MAKING IT WORSE! You idiots out there realize that your gonna infect each other, get others infected when you go shop or go home and it's gonna spike the cases again? And then we'll be stuck longer? I hope somebody throws eggs at those neanderthals..

I am lucky to be able to work from home, and unfortunately, many people aren't. But I'm also on a tight rope because our small department had a layoff and this guy was hard working. So IDK what's to come from all this, or when I can see my co workers again. Even though my commute sucks, thinking of being at work feels comforting.

So ya, I get it, whether it's financial reasons, or mental health reasons, we all want this to be over. Being home all day, isn't healthy, especially being home unemployed and I see that with family.

Do I think people need to go back to work? Yes...
Do I think it's dangerous? Yes...
Do I have an answer for this predicament? No...

And I know people wanna hold Trump to the fire, and I think we do need to. But that includes other leaders that botched everything. Democratic or Republican. So if Pelosi encouraged people to go out, put her a** on blast too...

1. I don't think that many people are advocating opening everything up all at once, instantly.
Even most protesters know that it's going to be a gradual process.

2. How long do you want us to stay shut down?
Some say a vaccine will be over a year and others say a successful vaccine may not even be possible.
How long are we supposed to wait for something that might never happen?

Old 05-05-2020, 03:46 AM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post

Wanted to quit shortly after I got there but you know who's going to help me save for a down payment?
Employers haven't given me a choice.
If I quit after things go back to normal do I get unemployment? Probably not..
You had the choice. You simply want choice on their dime. That you properly do not have.

If you opted to quit, they would have allowed it.

Unemployment, properly, is not for those who quit on their terms.

Old 05-05-2020, 04:07 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
Several of my friends have commented that of everybody they know, I seem to be the only one is hasn't gone stir crazy over this.

I am still working, but I'm working from home, and have been for several weeks. I'm dreading going back to the office, and wish working from home could become a permanent thing. My home is more comfortable, and I prefer being with my critters all day (well, most of the time. The new puppy was a holy terror today), as opposed to my coworkers. In fact, most of my friends have noticed from my social media postings that I seem a lot calmer.

My boss and coworkers keep talking about how they miss seeing everybody (in the office), and I'm kinda...."Nope. I'd be perfectly okay never setting eyes on you guys again."

I think what helps me is 1.) I'm more of a reader, by nature, so while I'd like to go out (or have people over), it doesn't stress me quite as much if I can't (I tend to prefer smaller, quieter gatherings anyway), and 2.) The aforementioned puppy takes a *lot* of my time/energy, so quite possibly it's not giving me much chance to miss going out.
What was once my side gig has become my main gig throughout all of this. Despite all of that, I'm still only making about half of what I used to make, but I also already paid my rent for a long time, so I'm not worried just yet.

And my side gig is considered "essential" so, in a way, my life hasn't really changed all that much. I go out every single day. I'm not locked up in my home, and haven't been since the beginning. When I'm done, there is a trail around the lake that is right behind our complex, and I can take my dog for walks out there - that's allowed.

Other than that, I stay home anyway.

And there is a huge part of me that is going to desperately miss the emptier roads. They're more crowded now than in the very beginning - it was so glorious in the beginning. Maybe just a few cars here and there, but the roads were beautiful, because everyone else was at home, locked up. It was a dream come true - empty roads!

I had one delivery that took me way out into the country - it was a long drive, but I thoroughly enjoyed every last second of it because no one was on the road, and nature was all around - it was so peaceful. I would love it if more people worked remotely, schooled remotely, and got more deliveries forever. It would be fantastic!

But, despite how much I want the roads to be empty like they were in the beginning, this lockdown needs to stop. In my county, there's not one single death - in my entire county, there's 12 cases. That's it.

NY and NJ account for half of all of the deaths. Then you have a few states that make up the bulk of the rest of the deaths. It's ridiculous to close down the entire fricken country over a handful of states.

Old 05-05-2020, 04:08 AM

11,768 posts, read 5,781,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShySkye View Post
If most sane people aren't going out and spending money, the economy won't work either.
You have many of the same talking points and patterns that another poster here has that most of us have blocked. I take everything you are saying with a grain of salt and you are certainly not a nurse as your counts are wrong and this is certainly not Genocide.

Old 05-05-2020, 04:19 AM

Quote:
The Trump admin now says there will be over 200,000 cases a day and you think the hospital system won't be overwhelmed? We are having genocide now in this country. You and others are perfectly accepting of that because you are simply being inconvenienced.

See, this is what I don't understand about people, seemingly mostly on the Left who are avid stay-at-home types......

They steadfastly refuse to acknowledge that there are also serious problems being caused by the shut downs, and the longer the shut downs last, the more serious and numerous these problems become..

For many people, it's not just a matter of being inconvenienced.....

People are losing their jobs.....some permanently, losing their life's savings, their businesses are going under.
Domestic violence and divorce are both up and people aren't going getting healthcare for non Covid related problems, which haven't stopped just because of the virus.

Old 05-05-2020, 04:36 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,548 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
So at what point can your side admit we’re already there? It takes 5-10 days for people to get sick.

Hasn’t happened.

We are gonna be at 30k daily cases and 2k-3k daily deaths for a long time. Is what it is and we either get it over with now or put it off for whatever pointless reason and the same damn thing just happens later.
That number is based on social distancing still being partially in place. the moment we end that, the numbers spike, thats also why we already surpassed the 60,000 deaths number. and are pushing 70,000.

People stopped listening, and some never locked down in the first place

Old 05-05-2020, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Nor do we have the right to force people to put their lives at risk to go back to work. People should not have to choose between their lives and their livelihoods.

I hate to tell you, but people are already doing that, and have been since the beginning of all this.

Your ability to stay at home and lecture others how they should do the same relies on millions of essential workers who don't have that luxury.

Tell me, if you're pipes burst while you're sitting at home, will you not call an essential plumber to come and fix them?

Why do you think you'd have the right to force him to come risk his life and health just to fix your flooding basement?

How do you feel about forcing grocery store employees to work so you have a steady supply of Doritos for your house bound Netflix binging?

The fact is that other than financial considerations, nobody is forcing these workers to risk their lives and health.......they have free will to make the choice if serving your couch bound ass is worth it.

As should everyone.

Old 05-05-2020, 04:52 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,378,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I hate to tell you, but people are already doing that, and have been since the beginning of all this.

Your ability to stay at home and lecture others how they should do the same relies on millions of essential workers who don't have that luxury.

Tell me, if you're pipes burst while you're sitting at home, will you not call an essential plumber to come and fix them?

Why do you think you'd have the right to force him to come risk his life and health just to fix your flooding basement?

How do you feel about forcing grocery store employees to work so you have a steady supply of Doritos for your house bound Netflix binging?

The fact is that other than financial considerations, nobody is forcing these workers to risk their lives and health.......they have free will to make the choice if serving your couch bound ass is worth it.

As should everyone.
Someone with the word fat in their name lecturing others about eating Doritos? I guess we are what we know.

Old 05-05-2020, 04:54 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Trust me, I hate it.

I wanna go out on weekends again, I miss hitting up the bar with friends and playing pool, going to get drinks after work, hitting this cool spot for lunch with co workers.

There's this girl I haven't seen since all this started, and I miss her alot. I miss just going to my friend's recording studio and working on projects, and overall just being out of the house with a destination in mind...

I miss the world being normal.

But I get why this stay home order was enacted. I have grandparents and my parents aren't young anymore. My aunt was in the hospital, thankfully not for the virus, but she is fail. Not to mention my uncle broke his ribs and can barely help her right now. So my aunt has to drive to the market and my cousin who's in high school has to go buy groceries for her because she can't risk going in.

But that also means he risks bring the virus to her after shopping.

Libera/conservative/libertarian, anarcho, whatever.. We're all restless and this effin' sucks..

We all want our lives back. And these idiots out there protesting ARE MAKING IT WORSE! You idiots out there realize that your gonna infect each other, get others infected when you go shop or go home and it's gonna spike the cases again? And then we'll be stuck longer? I hope somebody throws eggs at those neanderthals..

I am lucky to be able to work from home, and unfortunately, many people aren't. But I'm also on a tight rope because our small department had a layoff and this guy was hard working. So IDK what's to come from all this, or when I can see my co workers again. Even though my commute sucks, thinking of being at work feels comforting.

So ya, I get it, whether it's financial reasons, or mental health reasons, we all want this to be over. Being home all day, isn't healthy, especially being home unemployed and I see that with family.

Do I think people need to go back to work? Yes...
Do I think it's dangerous? Yes...
Do I have an answer for this predicament? No...

And I know people wanna hold Trump to the fire, and I think we do need to. But that includes other leaders that botched everything. Democratic or Republican. So if Pelosi encouraged people to go out, put her a** on blast too...
Fair and balanced.

No good solutions but we can't continue to live like this. At some point, life will return, it will be different, and yes, people will continue to die from Covid 19.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies