Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 10:54 PM

5,763 posts, read 11,370,882 times

Advertisements

My lady friend here in Tucson got laid off from her job at a hotel (major chain). The hotel closed down in late March. She worked in the laundry room, washing sheets and towels all day long. The hotel will probably re-open within 4-6 weeks. She is not sure if she wants to return to that job due to the risk of contacting CV-19 by handling all those linens. Trouble is, she doesn't speak English very well, so her job choices are limited. She is a legal green card immigrant who has lived in the US 20+ years.

She signed up for state unemployment benefits and received a debit card, but nothing has been put into her unemployment account yet. Tomorrow I'm going to bring my computer to her house and go online and try to find out why she is not getting any payments from the state. I would think that with all of the trillions being thrown at this situation, they could figure out how to get unemployment benefits going out to those who actually have a need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 11:01 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
The problem is that if we throw caution to the wind, then we will wind up with hospitals overwhelmed and bodies in the streets. This thing is highly communicable and resource intensive to treat. If you let it ride free, you're going to seem ok and then in the span of a few days you hit a drastic inflection point; that's the nature of exponential growth. So if we're not careful, we can find ourselves in an even worse position requiring more drastic hunkering down.

Nobody likes this, but it's a freaking pandemic. We gotta deal with it, and we need government to step up and help us in the meantime.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:07 PM

4,512 posts, read 4,044,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I know many who have lost their jobs and a handful who have lost their businesses.

A question I ask is why it's totally cool to go into a packed Walmart or Target, when going into a small business is considered social distance violating? The large majority of ANY mom n pop businesses, are completely closed.

Many small business owners leave great careers, and sink decades of their time and life savings into their business. Now completely wiped out.

Maybe it's the difference between massive corporation vs tiny corner store, but the government should let them stay open to survive during this.

Something smells fishy.
Exactly they close mom and pops so people just crowd to the one and only walmarts. How does this solve the problem? We just gave the economy to the mega corps.

And their fascist foot solider brigade, the SJWs are out nazi'ing and making everyone hate each other over masks. When if they stupid things were needed they would have been needed months ago, not now.

https://lovebreedsaccountability.com...aid-less-safe/

Old 05-04-2020, 11:07 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
I don't know anyone who has permanently lost their job as a result of the pandemic. I do, however, know people who have been temporarily laid off or had their hours cut. One of my friends is a dentist in Manhattan, specializing in pediatric dentistry . . . in essence, a non-essential service. He's been completely out of work and without a paycheck for the duration of the shutdown of that city, but has a job waiting for him when he comes back. Another friend is an architect, also in NYC. He is still working for his firm, but with reduced hours and pay.

The other folks I know who have been affected work in security and retail, and have been temporarily laid off. There isn't an expectation that they won't have their jobs back once the shutdowns end.

My immediate family, thankfully, are working from home but still fully employed.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 05-04-2020 at 11:25 PM..

Old 05-04-2020, 11:09 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post

Maybe it's the difference between massive corporation vs tiny corner store,

It's diversity in product. Big store or little store if you sell essential products you won the lottery. People still need to eat, have access to medical/pharmaceutical supplies and fix their toilet virus or no virus.... Getting your hair cut not so important.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:21 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
The problem is that if we throw caution to the wind, then we will wind up with hospitals overwhelmed and bodies in the streets.

I don't think we throw caution to the wind but statements like this are hyperbole. Older people, people with compromised health should be taking extra precautions. We can't continue down this path of keeping the economy closed because there are huge consequences including health and well being consequences.

I know of two people that had this, both women in their 80's at nursing homes. One died but she was already in very poor health before contracting it.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:40 PM

17,401 posts, read 14,637,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Let's face it. This virus has completely screwed our economy. And it will unfortunately have a lasting effect for many years. There is no quick fix to recover our economy. Even when businesses start to re open, many still won't patronize them. The middle class is suffering yet we bail out big businesses. Go figure.
The virus didn't screw our economy.

The government's over reaction to the virus did.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:47 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I can only think of 4 independent business owners that I know and they range from one having their 5 locations closed for the foreseeable future to another doing more business than ever. It's interesting that the ones doing poorly are not the ones I'd have predicted would be effected by a disaster...but I didn't anticipate a highly contagious virus being the problem.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:55 PM

8,231 posts, read 3,490,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
The prevention, would that Americans were more obedient and not so ornery, possibly could have been this:

Yes, indeed. We are now officially up the proverbial creek.
Huh? We weren't given the option to just wear masks and keep things open. They just shut everything down. They even told people to not wear masks unless they were sick.

Old 05-05-2020, 12:28 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
Yes, I know many. Im in the airline business and it's getting *hammered*. 2 physicians and 1 nurse friend are out of work (so far, a couple more say they are expecting it ). Another handful of my friends in the restaurant business are sol. One had his own and it's done. Another was gm of a high end steakhouse here in Cali and he's out. Yet another friend was in corporate for Marriot and he's out. I'll be out of a job later this year myself most likely. This was handled in such a poor manner and people are losing not just their jobs, but entire careers are being flushed as well as life's work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies