Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 08:49 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times

Advertisements

coup attempt would have been a better word than invasion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 10:50 AM

615 posts, read 1,075,601 times
There is definitely something weird going on with this story. I don't know if we will ever find all the background behind it, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Trump admin was somehow involved.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:35 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Use of the word "invasion" in the headline is why people don't trust CNN. Doesn't matter if Maduro used the term or not. It's sensationalizing and doesn't accurately describe what happened. Quote him in the article, if it's important. The rest of the article isn't bad. They cite their sources, the sources have names, etc. Not terribly fake-newsy, for CNN. That headline, though...

Anyway, what stuck out to me was this: "Maduro claimed two men who were captured had IDs for a US security company". I find it kind of implausible that people partaking in that kind of activity would be carrying company-issued ID cards. Maybe they were; I don't know. It just seemed kind of off, and raised a red flag.
Well, if Ukraine and the US get all giddy over finding "Ukrainian rebel captured, had Russian passport", then I guess it is plausible that these people would have ID with them also, carrying it as some equivalent of a military ID in their mind.

Old 05-08-2020, 12:34 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
There is no proof of it now though, yet the media is already doing its best to make that connection. It is all so predictable how the media acts, and the lemmings react.
That’s the media’s job. I want the media to make a few leaps here and there just to see who gets jumpy. They didn’t outright blame the administration, but they SHOULD point out that these guys have some questionable ties to people in power.

If that makes people in Trump’s Washington squirm, too bad. I want to see some squirming. The idea for a coup didn’t come outta thin air. And with Trump having a serious hard on for Maduro, he shouldn’t be exempted from suspicion. The United States has for decades been in the business of coup attempts by hook or by crook. We deserve the suspicion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Use of the word "invasion" in the headline is why people don't trust CNN. Doesn't matter if Maduro used the term or not. It's sensationalizing and doesn't accurately describe what happened. Quote him in the article, if it's important. The rest of the article isn't bad. They cite their sources, the sources have names, etc. Not terribly fake-newsy, for CNN. That headline, though...

Anyway, what stuck out to me was this: "Maduro claimed two men who were captured had IDs for a US security company". I find it kind of implausible that people partaking in that kind of activity would be carrying company-issued ID cards. Maybe they were; I don't know. It just seemed kind of off, and raised a red flag.
This ain’t about CNN. They’re just doing their jobs.

I wouldn’t downplay this mess just because it was bungled badly. Watergate was bungled equally as badly and everyone involved was a professional including ex-FBI and CIA employees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
coup attempt would have been a better word than invasion.
It’s a distinction without a difference in this case.

A coup attempt by an outside force IS an invasion. And we’d consider it an invasion if it happened to us.

Old 05-08-2020, 02:12 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
maybe if politicians like trump actually suffered consequences for stuff like this it wouldnt happen so much

Old 05-08-2020, 08:22 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post
There is definitely something weird going on with this story. I don't know if we will ever find all the background behind it, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Trump admin was somehow involved.
Dream on. This shouldn't even be a story with real news happening in the world.

Old 05-08-2020, 08:26 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post
Trump put a bounty on his head. These guys are mercenaries- in it for the money. They failed by approaching by boat. Come through the jungle like the illegals! They are not in a good place. Lord help them

Old 05-15-2020, 03:45 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
New document shows a contract signed by Guaido with Silvercorp for the invasion.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nat...242767041.html

If true, I expect Guaido to be arrested of course, as he should be, along with anyone else involved. I also expect him, Silvercorp, and anyone else involved, to be on the terrorism list.

If the US is proven to be involved, I expect a global reaction by way of sanctions and other punitive measures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies