Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2020, 02:06 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
You heard it from the horse's mouth.
I think it was a bit unfair that he singled out black women without mentioning men, but what he said was accurate.

Don Lemon said the same thing without singling out black women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCASEL9mUxM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I have a fb friend who is a black man with a pro-black page and he squarely blames black women for choosing welfare money over a man in the house. But he also blames the government and says the welfare polices were designed TO destroy the black family this way. IDK how that works, when the same rules were applied to whites as well.
The white out of wedlock birth rate has skyrocketed as well. I do think the polities were designed to destroy families. But I don't necessarily think they were just aimed at black families, but they have had a larger impact on black families.

Old 05-12-2020, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Black folks haven’t even been able to nail down why this keeps happening, therefore white folks DAMN SURE don’t know. The black family dynamic is at the bottom of this thing, and there’s no way in hell that white folks have a good enough glimpse of that to make any real synopsis that’s worth listening to. The black community (if you wanna call it that) is too insular and clannish for me to trust the opinion of an outsider.
I'm sure it's true that white people don't have specific insights into black family dynamics. The problem is that a lot of black people--especially so called 'black leaders' prominent in the mainstream media--deny or minimize that this is a very serious problem.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:01 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I'm sure it's true that white people don't have specific insights into black family dynamics. The problem is that a lot of black people--especially so called 'black leaders' prominent in the mainstream media--deny or minimize that this is a very serious problem.
I think that we are capable of learning. Just the one study conducted among married black men had a lot of good insight. I don't think that black Americans are so inscrutable.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:53 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Black women, more than white women might be predispositioned to accept that a man will probably not be able to take care of them. They see it every where they are and on TV. This doesn't stop them from wanting to be mothers. Notwithstanding that the divorce rate is so high. Single mothers are everywhere and many single moms both white and black are educated and doing financially okay. I think that the unwed mother statistic can be traced to the rise in the divorce rate.

Old 05-12-2020, 08:33 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Because the topic is black children born out of wedlock? specifically why is the rate of such so high.
I’ve already said that we don’t know...no one does. There’s no ONE reason. It’s a complex issue.

Old 05-12-2020, 08:56 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,142 times
Quote:
Well if we’re gonna talk about the topic, why should white folks be left out of it?
Yes. Native Americans also have a high out of wedlock birth rate similar to blacks. well over 50% but I don’t see any talking heads about that.

Old 05-12-2020, 08:59 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
I’ve already said that we don’t know...no one does. There’s no ONE reason. It’s a complex issue.
I know. And we've been discussing those issues.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:03 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Yes. Native Americans also have a high out of wedlock birth rate similar to blacks. well over 50% but I don’t see any talking heads about that.
Same with Hispanics. It’s all around but the focus is almost always on black people as usual.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:19 AM

89,016 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Same with Hispanics. It’s all around but the focus is almost always on black people as usual.
The focus is only due to the exceptionally high rate, comparatively:

Unwed Births by Race/Ethnicity

If the rate weren't such an extreme outlier, it wouldn't be an issue. Many people are concerned because single-parent households are correlated strongly with childhood poverty.

Children in Single-Parent Families by Race/Ethnicity:

Black: 65%
American Indian: 53%
Hispanic: 41%
White: 24%
Asian: 15%
US Average: 35%

Data Source: Population Reference Bureau, analysis of data from the U.S. Census Bureau, Census 2000 Supplementary Survey, 2001 Supplementary Survey, 2002 through 2018 American Community Survey.

https://datacenter.kidscount.org/dat...185,13/432,431
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies