Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 08:57 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,878,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
No matter what we do, people will die. No one survives Father Time. Time to get back to business and let the scaredy cats hunker in the bunker.
That is what Hitler told the Jews
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2020, 09:12 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Americans are self-centered. If this virus was like the 1918 Spanish Flu where the highest mortality rate were people age 28, it would be a completely different story. But because it is most dangerous to those 70+, on the whole, Americans don't care.

If it was a 1% chance of any American dying from it - regardless of age - newborns to elderly people - we'd all still be home.

there's not a 1% of any single person dying from it, based on age ranges. For there to be a 1% of any 65+ dying, there would be 492,000 deaths.

The virus has a WORSE effect on those 65+, or with serious co-morbidities, than it does those healthy under 50.

Thankfully, we DO know some relatively simple measurees that can be taken to protect those who have some vulnerability.

I mean, can you imagine if there was a virus that killed 1% of men annually, but all women were immune to it? Would the vast majority of women go about their business, or stay inside afraid they would catch the virus themselves?

Old 05-06-2020, 09:12 PM

30,348 posts, read 19,122,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
that is what hitler told the jews
lol

Old 05-06-2020, 09:15 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,110,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballkick View Post
There may not be a 2nd wave
Well that settles it, good thing nobody else has grandparents...

Old 05-06-2020, 09:21 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,575,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
We all can’t stay at home all the time with gas masks on watching CNN
You do realize, if they have to shut places down again...it will be for a MUCH longer time than before...right?

Would have been easier to just keep places closed until the second wave passes and numbers go down after that, its only going to do more damage to the economy re opening everything now!

Old 05-06-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
A 'second wave' implies that the 'first wave' recedes. There is no evidence of such. Some say that, like the annual flu, it will recede during hot weather. Perhaps, but such is not happening in 'sunny' places like Saudi Arabia and India, which are very much developing into hot spots.

A 'wave' may also mean the deadliness of the virus. The Spanish flu was a perfect example: first wave in April 1918, was rather mild, but still concerning. It then seemed to recede (here) in the summer (of course, it was affecting the southern hemisphere, where it was winter). Then the second wave hit with horrifying results in October 1918, which is when the majority of the 650,000 American deaths occurred. It was such a deadly wave that many were relieved when it apparently receded in January 1919, only to return, although in weaker form, in February. Some say there was a fourth wave in early 1920, but it is not established as fact.

Fun fact: the only significant city in the United States to escape the Spanish flu was Gunnison, Colorado (a great trout fishing place, as I can attest). Back then (and probably now) only one road led into and out of the town. At the first sign of the flu in early 1918, the town literally shut the road. No one could enter. If you left, you could not return. Deliveries of food and such were left at the roadblock. Yet, Gunnison went the entire pandemic without one person being ill. There were a few other examples around the world.
That is what cities should have done here back in March, trying to keep 'essential' things open, and continue allowing trucks to make deliveries from out of state, was a very bad idea.

Old 05-06-2020, 09:34 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
... no one wants to kill their grandparents...pearl clutching at it's finest...

...i'm 73 and i'm going do whatever i want to do for the rest of my time here...if you want to stay cowered under the bed sucking your thumb until you get the 'all clear' from whoever it is you're waiting for it to come from...well, have at it...
gonna be 70 in june. I agree...........been through tooo much crap in my life to quit living....

Old 05-06-2020, 09:48 PM

32,052 posts, read 15,037,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
No matter what we do, people will die. No one survives Father Time. Time to get back to business and let the scaredy cats hunker in the bunker.
Ok, you and your family go first to lead the herd immunity. Some of us will just wait and see how that goes. Yes, some are scared because this is such an unknown. It affects all ages. Health care workers are scared to go home to their families every day because they don't want to infect them. Most isolate themselves if they can. But by all means go out and socialize. Many with common sense won't do that.

Old 05-06-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Ok, you and your family go first to lead the herd immunity. Some of us will just wait and see how that goes. Yes, some are scared because this is such an unknown. It affects all ages. Health care workers are scared to go home to their families every day because they don't want to infect them. Most isolate themselves if they can. But by all means go out and socialize. Many with common sense won't do that.
Just wait until a person that is a carrier, goes out and joins in with this group that wants to do what they want to do!

Then we will have to listen to them cry about how this happened to them.

Old 05-06-2020, 10:03 PM

32,052 posts, read 15,037,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Just wait until a person that is a carrier, goes out and joins in with this group that wants to do what they want to do!

Then we will have to listen to them cry about how this happened to them.
They can go out and enjoy and possibly infect others in their state. Not my problem. I just don't want them coming to my state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies