Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 12:50 PM

5,067 posts, read 1,667,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
The economy won't hurt him, and nobody is making anything up that is hurting us all just to hurt Trump in November. That's complete nonsense. How he has reacted to this situation will determine his fate.

If that is true(hint: it isnt) the liberal leaders of NY are doomed as is the Speaker for encouraging the folks in their local areas to be out and about after the President made the right move by shutting off travel from China in January.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 01:58 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
2 weeks of quarantine is enough to stop the rise of infection.

2 more weeks are needed after the rise is stopped to allow the infection rate to slow down.

2 more weeks after it has slowed allows the infection rate to decrease.

Add it up. 6 weeks is the minimum time needed for a quarantine to work on this disease. Once anyone is very lightly exposed to the virus, our body begins building antibodies that protect us from it.

After 6 weeks, wearing a mask for protecting others from your possible infection and avoiding crowds is the only protection any of us have until our bodies make enough antibodies. It takes time to make them. Our bodies are much slower than the disease is.

The worst thing Covid-19 has is it's sneak attack. It will infect a healthy person and that person will then spread it around for 2 weeks before they realize they are becoming ill.

Old 05-07-2020, 02:14 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Coronavirus' two best friends: bars and alcohol.
Looks like me and the virus have something in common... To bad corovirus is prick...

Old 05-07-2020, 02:36 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
1. Testing has a lot of false negs and self positives depending on the test - nothing is 100%.
2. NY numbers are falling daily and you will not see 30,000 deaths in 10 -15 days because we will not be opening up anytime soon. It's being done in 4 stages which you can read about on the Dept of Health website.
3. People with comorbidities are at risk every day of their life due to the regular flu or an infection they pick up. Again - they can stay quarantined until this is over.
4. You are hoping to see a mutation which may take years before these people with compromised immune systems are out of danger. I'm not sitting in my house at this stage of my life because I could die tomorrow from a stroke or heart attack - I'm living the rest of my life as if every day may be my last. Can you honestly imagine being an elderly person locked in their apt - not seeing relatives, many don't have access to tech items or computers to while away the time. My cousin in the assisted living facility was quarantined in an 8x10 room for the past 6-7 weeks - he still got Covid. My other cousin is in a HUD senior apt. They are not allowed to even stroll the halls but must stay in their sm apts unless retrieving their mail or using the washing facilities - no human contact.
comment on your point number 4..............being locked away like that {quarantined} is NOT what I would call living......... its an existance..........

Old 05-07-2020, 03:21 PM

16,279 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I sincerely hope that you're right! But the paralysis and miasma of fear, are incredibly powerful. They stay the hand of even the pragmatic sort.

Staggering, compared to what? To 30M unemployed?

That is your opinion, on both counts. Not everyone shares your opinion.

As with JimRom's post, yes, one hopes that you're right. But how to overcome the gnawing, debilitating fear?

Yes. Again again I say: however horrible is your scenario, we have to examine - compared to what?
Just how many loved ones are you willing to sacrifice for the good of the economy? Your wife? Daughter? Maybe just a cousin or two?

Come on man.

Old 05-07-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
If that is true(hint: it isnt) the liberal leaders of NY are doomed as is the Speaker for encouraging the folks in their local areas to be out and about after the President made the right move by shutting off travel from China in January.
Oh you have to be crazy not to believe how he handled this pandemic will be near the top of every voter's minds on election day. We aren't there yet but here's another hint: there was more to this than closing off flights from China.

Old 05-07-2020, 10:39 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Just how many loved ones are you willing to sacrifice for the good of the economy? Your wife? Daughter? Maybe just a cousin or two?

Come on man.
I have no relatives. None.

But if you check my posting history, you'll observe that I'm more than willing to "sacrifice" myself.

Old 05-07-2020, 10:42 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:

But if you check my posting history, you'll observe that I'm more than willing to "sacrifice" myself.
I wouldn't give a plugged nickel to help Trump's reelection, needless to say, Die for him.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:15 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
You are far from moderate - you can kid yourself but not the rest of the posters. You can not assume how many people want the economy to open back up because few people actually go out and express their feelings by protesting. There was a protest here in my area - although I and my family and friends feel strongly that we have to get the economy started again - none of us went to protest because I actually isn't worth it.

Cuomo is going to do what Cuomo is going to do. It's been proven before with his actions. It's not that blue states won't bow to Trump - it's that blue states are being the obstinate child and won't do what the parent tells them is in their best interest. So they continue to sit in the corner while the other children play. Ever hear about cutting off your nose to spite your face?
Yes I am a moderate. Look at my voting record if you can find it. I will never vote for the extremists on either side. Trump has no clue what to do in this pandemic. First he said he has the authority to tell the states what to do and then he tells them they are on their own. And now he is just done with this. He wants to get back to his rallies. It's just all about him.

Old 05-08-2020, 04:19 AM

Quote:

It says really sad things about our society when people being out of work is deserving of more empathy than people who are dying. You have nobody so you have little to lose, including your own life apparently. Very few of us are in your situation so your opinion does not mean a lot to those of us who actually have loved ones. Most of us put more value on life than you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies