Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 12:38 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,606,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
given the choice between living with COVID19 moving thru society with no mitigation or living in a world run by progressives, I will take the less dangerous.... Gimme Covid19.

gives us a better chance at survival.
In general, I sincerely hope that our public officials make the decisions that work best towards everyone's behalf, including the ones I don't politically agree with on just about anything.

If they are able to make wise policy decisions that end up benefitting people's health, safety, and general welfare, I'm supportive of them doing well on this part of their job even if I don't politically agree with them on any of the other parts.

I don't see how the tribalism is helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 12:38 PM

2,414 posts, read 2,987,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
No one could have predicted this.
They could and they did. It was no secret that our govt expected a pandemic and was prepared for it before Trump took office.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:40 PM

15,825 posts, read 6,536,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
In general, I sincerely hope that our public officials make the decisions that work best towards everyone's behalf, including the ones I don't politically agree with on just about anything.

If they are able to make wise policy decisions that end up benefitting people's health, safety, and general welfare, I'm supportive of them doing well on this part of their job even if I don't politically agree with them on any of the other parts.

As always, it's about finding the right balance; in this case between health and economic security. I don't envy the task these governors have taken on -- it's a lose-lose situation.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:42 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,606,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
As always, it's about finding the right balance; in this case between health and economic security. I don't envy the task these governors have taken on -- it's a lose-lose situation.
You're right. There is no way they're going to please everyone.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:47 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
How Donald Trump failed at the single most important task of the Oval Office: keeping the American people safe from harm.

Trump knew all this. In fact, he knew a lot more. He had been getting daily intelligence reports for two months, warning him about the risk of a pandemic. It’s impossible to believe he had not been told that COVID-19 was at least 10 times more deadly than the flu, or that it was passed human to human with a just touch or a cough. A top White House adviser had already warned that a full-blown pandemic could imperil the lives of millions of Americans. Virtually every public-health expert in the world was speaking out, warning politicians and community leaders what was about to hit us.
Nevertheless, since the moment the outbreak was first publicized in January, Trump had been doing nothing but downplaying it. To him, the pandemic was merely another plot to sabotage him. “They’re trying to scare everybody . . . cancel the meetings, close the schools — you know, destroy the country,” he told his guests that weekend. “And that’s OK, as long as we can win the election.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...plague-982150/

While I don’t agree with the entire article it bears much truth.
Wait, what? Isn’t each state responsible for that? We aren’t in a centralized government.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:49 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
You seem safe enough.

I can't read past the opening sentence, it's balderdash.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:01 PM

1,134 posts, read 404,732 times
New York city was really hit hard. I'm not sure Mayor de Blasio saw it coming, although he claims everyone did. In early March he said, and I quote:

"Since I'm encouraging New Yorkers to go on with your lives - get out on the town despite Coronavirus, I thought I would offer some suggestions."

And then he recommended some movies for New Yorkers to go see. And that means the subway and taxis for most people.

I have my doubts about people in government, or the media, no matter who they work for, that claim the President was the only person who didn't see the dangers of the virus. A lot of people went back to delete their earlier comments. A lot of finger pointing by people who were just as guilty of not understanding the danger.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:11 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
How Donald Trump failed at the single most important task of the Oval Office: keeping the American people safe from harm.
Absolute security demands absolute obedience and subjugation; and that is too high a price to pay for anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
It was no secret that our govt expected a pandemic and was prepared for it before Trump took office.
Anyone who read beyond what was aimed at the front row at WrestleMania should have seen that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
given the choice between living with COVID19 moving thru society with no mitigation or living in a world run by progressives, I will take the less dangerous.... Gimme Covid19.

gives us a better chance at survival.
hear, hear, HEAR!

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 05-07-2020 at 01:24 PM..

Old 05-07-2020, 02:37 PM

7,334 posts, read 4,127,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
They could and they did. It was no secret that our govt expected a pandemic and was prepared for it before Trump took office.
Actually, The U.S. federal stockpile of N95 protective face masks was largely depleted during the 2009 swine flu outbreak and was not restocked.

Quote:
In July 2006, with an aggressive and novel strain of the flu circulating in Asia and the Middle East, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg unveiled a sweeping pandemic preparedness plan.

Using computer models to calculate how a disease could spread rapidly through the city’s five boroughs, experts concluded New York needed a substantial stockpile of both masks and ventilators. If the city confronted a pandemic on the scale of the 1918 Spanish flu, the experts found, it would face a “projected shortfall of between 2,036 and 9,454 ventilators.”

The city’s department of health, working with the state, was to begin purchasing ventilators and to “stockpile a supply of facemasks,” according to the report. Shortly after it was released, Bloomberg held a pandemic planning summit with top federal officials, including Dr. Anthony Fauci, now the face of the national coronavirus response.

In the end, the alarming predictions failed to spur action. In the months that followed, the city acquired just 500 additional ventilators as the effort to create a larger stockpile fizzled amid budget cuts.

Even those extra ventilators are long gone, the health department said on Sunday. The lifesaving devices broke down over time and were auctioned off by the city at least five years ago because the agency couldn’t afford to maintain them.

Another prong of the Bloomberg pandemic plan — the mass distribution of masks to the public — has not happened either, even as experts are now reversing earlier guidance and urging everyone in hot spots like New York to cover their faces.
https://www.propublica.org/article/h...-auction-block

Think of how different Bloomberg approached SARS. De Blasio messed up big time. He ditched the ventilators and didn't purchase masks. Didn't close schools or the subways.

If you take metro NYC COVID-19 numbers (NY & NJ - 34,500 dead) out of the entire USA number (74,234 dead), the USA did well - it was metro NYC that was the problem.

Old 05-07-2020, 03:23 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post

well i cant help you if you cannot see what the progressives are trying to do.

As it relates to what Trump did or didn't do as per this thread there are 2 facts that matter.
1. He listened to the scientists that the left demanded he listen to.
2. on March 9 the head scientist stated that there was no danger.

Yet the left is attacking Trump and blaming him for some kind of plague.

Tribalism is the methodology of the left. Suggesting those of us on the right are doing the same is sick. you don't blame the person that gets attacked for defending themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies