Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 12:47 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttzakr87 View Post
It was never going to be an effective policy in a place like the United States, which is one of the most polarized countries in the world as of today. Half the country thinks Donald Trump is the second coming of Jesus, and the other half thinks he's a Nazi.

It also doesn't help that people here will naturally rebel against being told what to do from the opposite party. Lets be honest, If Barack Obama said we all need to return to work, and Trump says we need to stay home, the tables would be turned. We will believe what we believe no matter what without questioning. I don't know many Trump supporters who will question him, and the same for Obama and his supporters.

It's also not in our nature as Americans to be told what to do, which works against us.

This was never going to work.

A crisis like this should in theory bring us together, but instead will fracture us even further.
Many would table turn, I wouldn't. I haven't liked Obama or Trump for the same reasons despite being on the opposite side of aisle. Trump has largely been a far right Obama. The economy was mostly the same. There are still deportations. There are stil rollout issues. Both deflected crises away. The only difference was Obama wanted the buck to stop with him while Trump cannot handle the buck stopping with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 12:52 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Many would table turn, I wouldn't. I haven't liked Obama or Trump for the same reasons despite being on the opposite side of aisle. Trump has largely been a far right Obama. The economy was mostly the same. There are still deportations. There are stil rollout issues. Both deflected crises away. The only difference was Obama wanted the buck to stop with him while Trump cannot handle the buck stopping with him.
I wonder what you mean by "far right"....and I bet you do too.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:59 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I wonder what you mean by "far right"....and I bet you do too.
No I don't. Look here...
https://www.politicalcompass.org/cro...hington&soc=-2
Trump is largely what Obama was but on the Republican side. The only main difference between Obama and Trump is their stance on Obamacare.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:01 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,761 times
Opening up and doing away with "physical distancing" does not always go hand and hand. In most cases we can do both, and I believe most reputable businesses will do so. One thing that has yet to be addressed are the liability issues.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:03 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
In your family, can you name six people, parents, grand parents, aunts, uncles, in-laws that are either over 75 or have health problems or both.

Now choose which one of them you want dead.
No, I can't. The only living relative I have who is either over 75 or has health problems is my mother-in-law.

Can I nominate her?

Just Kidding! (about the nomination. that is. She really is the only relative I have who fits either of those criteria. Not all of us have lots of, or any, elderly relations, which is something you should consider when making this your big convincing point).

Old 05-07-2020, 01:32 PM

8,384 posts, read 4,367,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
No, I can't. The only living relative I have who is either over 75 or has health problems is my mother-in-law.

Can I nominate her?

Just Kidding! (about the nomination. that is. She really is the only relative I have who fits either of those criteria. Not all of us have lots of, or any, elderly relations, which is something you should consider when making this your big convincing point).
I hate to say that longevity of your family is a pretty strong indicator of your own life span.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:33 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,405,241 times
I think we should just open up... I'm really getting fed up with all of this.. It's a damn virus and is never going away any time soon, even with a vaccine. It'll be even worse if we destroy the economy along with it. Everyone who's scared can just stay home. Let the rest of us go and live our lives..

Old 05-07-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I hate to say that longevity of your family is a pretty strong indicator of your own life span.
I'm 50, and my parents were in their 40s when I was born. My dad just died last year, and he was 94. All of my grandparents lived at least to their late 80s; one was 97. I had only a few aunts and uncles and two of them died in a car accident; one committed suicide at 95.

But thanks anyway for the good wishes!

Old 05-07-2020, 02:14 PM

8,384 posts, read 4,367,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm 50, and my parents were in their 40s when I was born. My dad just died last year, and he was 94. All of my grandparents lived at least to their late 80s; one was 97. I had only a few aunts and uncles and two of them died in a car accident; one committed suicide at 95.

But thanks anyway for the good wishes!

LOL ... It certainly wasn't my intention to wish you anything but good wishes. Having a child in your 40's used to be pretty unusual. I'm pushing 70 and my Dad is still alive along with 5 of his brothers and sisters. The last of my great aunts passed last year. I was 20 when the last of my great grand parents passed.

I'm still healthy and work because I want to, not because I have to and hope to be around another 20 years. If COVID don't get me first.

Old 05-07-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
LOL ... It certainly wasn't my intention to wish you anything but good wishes. Having a child in your 40's used to be pretty unusual. I'm pushing 70 and my Dad is still alive along with 5 of his brothers and sisters. The last of my great aunts passed last year. I was 20 when the last of my great grand parents passed.
This is unusual. My great-grandparents died long before I was born. (I was born in 1969; my great-grandparents were born in the 1860s).

Thinking about my family and friends, at least half of those who are in their 50s have lost at least one parent. Some, like me, have lost both.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that while no one wants anyone else's elderly relatives to die, many are personally more invested in and concerned about their children (or grandchildren). Of course we want to protect the elderly, but the economy is not dependent on them. On the converse, young people just starting in life, and their parents, are very dependent on the economy. And the young people are the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies