Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 12:36 PM

20,260 posts, read 19,847,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHenriques1147 View Post
It's "the politics of prosperity."
Brought to you by...........CAPITALISM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 12:37 PM

20,260 posts, read 19,847,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That’s all it is. Cool appropriation. There’s nothing wrong with it unless you’re being corny with it.

My heroes are Miles Davis and Steve McQueen. What do they have in common? Their coolness. People will always wanna steal that.
Nailed it on both counts! Perfect examples.

Old 05-08-2020, 01:05 PM

41,880 posts, read 74,938,731 times
Cinco de Mayo: Beer and liquor companies took an observance of a Mexican military victory (which may have had an effect on the U.S. Civil War by keeping the French military busy for another year, so maybe we should be celebrating after all) and marketed it into an excuse to overindulge on tequila and Tecate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinion123 View Post
Covid is shutting college campuses down temporarily, but these social justice weirdos are bankrupting colleges in permanence. Even long established schools hundreds of years old are choosing to go out of business because social justice weirdos have proven to be too much of a risk to the business. It is a legal liability to even accept SJW’s as online only students anymore.
Oh, I'm dying to see some documentation on that ... Should I hold my breath, or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Yep. There is nothing worse than a Progressive with nothing better to do than look for ways to be offended and ways to take Rights, Freedoms and Liberties from others due to their CAUSE DU JOUR.
There's really nothing worse than the pot calling the kettle black. I love the smell of hypocrisy in the morning!

Old 05-08-2020, 01:29 PM

34,177 posts, read 18,482,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Cinco de Mayo: Beer and liquor companies took an observance of a Mexican military victory (which may have had an effect on the U.S. Civil War by keeping the French military busy for another year, so maybe we should be celebrating after all) and marketed it into an excuse to overindulge on tequila and Tecate.
Yep. They don't really celebrate it in Mexico either or at least not much.

Quote:
There's really nothing worse than the pot calling the kettle black. I love the smell of hypocrisy in the morning!
That's Napalm to you young lady.

Old 05-08-2020, 01:34 PM

13,631 posts, read 20,722,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That’s all it is. Cool appropriation. There’s nothing wrong with it unless you’re being corny with it.

My heroes are Miles Davis and Steve McQueen. What do they have in common? Their coolness. People will always wanna steal that.

Old 05-08-2020, 02:05 PM

15,755 posts, read 7,562,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Braids and dreds however......
That is centuries old; no one culture cornerstone the market

Old 05-08-2020, 02:15 PM

26,346 posts, read 14,952,283 times
Liberals on Monday: I believe in learning from and understanding other cultures!

Liberals on Tuesday: How dare that white guy use another culture!

Liberals on Wednesday: It is offensive to say non-whites can't partake in stereotypical white cultural things!

Which one doesn't fit?

Old 05-08-2020, 02:20 PM

3,732 posts, read 1,427,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Liberals on Monday: I believe in learning from and understanding other cultures!

Liberals on Tuesday: How dare that white guy use another culture!

Liberals on Wednesday: It is offensive to say non-whites can't partake in stereotypical white cultural things!

Which one doesn't fit?
This has nothing to do with Liberals. True Liberals do not care about cultural appropriation. It's only illiberals of the white liberal cohort and black academics who go ham crazy on cultural appropriation issues. Case in point look at the Yale video that I posted.

The problem with teh SJW is that they believe in a smooth worldview, and want to reverse or do away with 500-2500 years of European or white history. From the Ancient Greeks, to the United States of America and everything in between. I remember one time I told an SJW that did they know Alexander the Great was bisexual? They thought he was a white supremacists who hated mioinrities. LOL, I even to an SJW that he even married a non Greek woman as a wife who is from Afghanistan, that would be a woman of color technically. He also promoted none Greek or European peoples in his Empire. SJW mind exploded.

Old 05-08-2020, 02:29 PM

26,346 posts, read 14,952,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
As for Mexican themed party, I don’t get offended by that. But I probably will call out the “tacos”. Had a friend brag about Tacos at his event. It was just ground meat, cold tortillas and shredded yellow cheese with “hot” sauce that you get from the chip aisle at the market... my dude. NOOOO... this is not a taco, this is an abomination... :/
Mexican food borrowed from other cultures and countries too. Spain most notably. Even the US has influenced "Mexican" food (as they have influenced our food). Most of the meat in Mexican foods weren't even native to Mexico.

All cultures have borrowed food from other cultures. That is progress and that is good.

Mexican food itself varies across Mexico and even from restaurant to restaurant in the same Mexican city.

I know a Mexican-American that makes "Chinese food" - I doubt it is "authentic" Chinese, but it tastes good, so I willingly give him my money from time to time for some.

I have a Mexican-American student who wants to open his own restaurant one day - a French cuisine restaurant. He has never been to France. Should I tell him that it is offensive, or should I encourage him?

Is it cultural appropriation to ask a neighbor for a recipe and then to duplicate it?

In 1998 I saw a can of pop in London advertised as "authentic American soda pop." So I bought it and it tasted nasty as crap and was like no pop that I have ever tasted living my whole life in America. It isn't a big deal.

What is an authentic American hamburger? Does it have cheese? Does it have onions? Does it have mayonnaise? Etc.

Is the Hamburger even truly American as there are many origin stories all with some merit and many early ones aren't technically what we would call "hamburgers."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburger#History

As American as Apple Pie - the first known apple "pie" was from the 1300s in England.

Cultural appropriation of food is a compliment as ALL people borrow ideas (including food) from other people. It is an honor to have other people borrow your food ideas.

Last edited by michiganmoon; 05-08-2020 at 02:40 PM..

Old 05-09-2020, 12:23 AM

30,227 posts, read 23,643,056 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JC58UYeaBs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies