Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 07:40 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,768,035 times

Advertisements

BTW...Higher taxes are coming.

Quote:

New York’s governor, Andrew Cuomo, may have only been referring to his state when he declared on national television in March that “we are broke,” but he was, in a broader sense, speaking for the vast bulk of city and county and state governments in America.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/houst...130000755.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 07:53 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
Well of course the result will be higher taxes. How can the Government force us to stay home, force businesses to stay closed and expect us to survive without paying us? Where is that money coming from?

We need to reopen the economy soon. In my area they are pretty much writing off the Summer of 2020 and thousands of people depend on the tourist season to make money that carries them through the rest of the year.

We are all going to be broke soon.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:39 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,100,850 times
Houston has been on the thin raggedy edge for as long as I can remember. Their pension obligations have never been sustainable.

As far as the police classes being canceled no big deal. Houston area subdivision hire their own cops. The Harris county sheriff's office and the area constables provide the car, the subdivisions, MUDs pay the salary and benefits for 'private' patrols. If the cop is needed due to an emergency, they are free to leave their designated area.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:44 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
The damage is already done, no way to reverse it now.

Out govt is not being completely honest and forthcoming with the public, on the state of the economy right now, (Govt has to maintain control and order), so naturally they are not going to inform the public how BAD it really is, that would cause mass panic, runs on the banks, etc.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:50 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Nope. IF the same jackasses that destroyed the economy, destroyed people's life's work, destroyed their businesses think they can get away with raising taxes at a time when people HAVE NO MONEY-they will trigger a 2nd revolutionary war. If they try to foreclose on property of people that can't pay their property taxes because the government destroyed their income-I expect they will be met with armed resistance. Those in government will have to do what those in the real world have done all their lives-learn to live within their means. That means spending cuts across the board. It's encouraging to see more and more people remembering that they are Americans every day. It's time to remind our elected leaders.

We should put a moratorium on pay for any elected elected officials until the economy gets back to where it was at the end of 2019.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:00 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,057,613 times
Why is the President still waging a fierce legal battle to protect his finances from the public view? The man said he would open up every book as soon as he was elected, and yet he is still fighting tooth and nail to shield his finances from the public - what gives?

https://www.c-span.org/video/?471675...ancial-records

Old 05-08-2020, 09:27 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Nope. IF the same jackasses that destroyed the economy, destroyed people's life's work, destroyed their businesses think they can get away with raising taxes at a time when people HAVE NO MONEY-they will trigger a 2nd revolutionary war. If they try to foreclose on property of people that can't pay their property taxes because the government destroyed their income-I expect they will be met with armed resistance. Those in government will have to do what those in the real world have done all their lives-learn to live within their means. That means spending cuts across the board. It's encouraging to see more and more people remembering that they are Americans every day. It's time to remind our elected leaders.

We should put a moratorium on pay for any elected elected officials until the economy gets back to where it was at the end of 2019.
Statistics show restaurants were suffering badly before any government shutdowns.

I’ll only take my wife to restaurants that are working safely. Many won’t eat out at all.

If half a million Americans die many businesses will be closed by the business owners.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:29 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,119,845 times
It happened the minute the pandemic was downplayed...

Old 05-08-2020, 09:34 PM

6,752 posts, read 3,372,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
Why is the President still waging a fierce legal battle to protect his finances from the public view? The man said he would open up every book as soon as he was elected, and yet he is still fighting tooth and nail to shield his finances from the public - what gives?
What gives is that it's really nobody's business what his finances are. The left just wants to see everything so they can trash him about that, too. The reality is that he's under an audit and nothing can be released until that's done.

The reality is that he has a lot of money. More than most people. If it was me, I wouldn't release my financial information either.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:59 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

Must spread reputation, apparently I’ve repped you somewhere else recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies