Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 07:18 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,084,700 times

Advertisements

Ugh, this sucks.

And the future isn't all that bright. So many of those jobs are gone permanently.

An economist told Reuters over the weekend that an unemployment rate of 10-12% by December would be "optimistic."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 07:21 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
What I don't get is these idiot governors are opening up businesses (thanks Governor Abbott!) no one is protecting themselves, the infection rate is now going way up, but economic activity is still barely increasing because so many people are unemployed. Those who are are either scared to go out and don't want to buy stuff, can't buy stuff because most stores are still closed, can't buy stuff because they aren't working full time and can't afford it, or even if they can, they are holding on to their money because they are scared. It makes more sense to stay closed until infenction rates go down more.

Actually this is why they should have never shut in the first place. You can't just flip a switch and turn the economy back on. In a few weeks, the shutdowns will have been exposed as pointless, foolish, and ineffective. Liberals are in panic mode over this.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:25 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,425 times
Quote:
What I don't get is these idiot governors are opening up businesses (thanks Governor Abbott!) no one is protecting themselves, the infection rate is now going way up, but economic activity is still barely increasing because so many people are unemployed. Those who are are either scared to go out and don't want to buy stuff, can't buy stuff because most stores are still closed, can't buy stuff because they aren't working full time and can't afford it, or even if they can, they are holding on to their money because they are scared. It makes more sense to stay closed until infenction rates go down more.
Actually the infection rate is way down. Maybe you should start focusing on posting accurate information, not inaccurate information.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:27 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,277,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
A real unemployment rate of over 20%, when the crash of 2008 rocked world markets, the rate was less than half that.

https://fortune.com/2020/04/23/us-un...nefits-claims/
This scares the crap out of me - way more than getting sick with 'ronavirus. We have a full 10% of our population out of work now. Not just 10% of the workforce, but the entire population.

Both my husband and I are out, but I'm the only one that can collect unemployment, and even with the extra from the Fed, it's less that what I had been making. Check out this article about people lining up for food in NJ, and realize it's only going to get worse going forward.

I saw someone the other day say 'no one is starving to death, but people ARE dying from the virus'. And while this is very true, what kind of life are we moving toward, when you have to sit in lines miles long just to try and get food, only to find that when you get to the front of the line the only food left for you is a 5 lb. bag of onions, a red cabbage, and a green cabbage.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/30/n...nj-hunger.html

Old 05-07-2020, 07:27 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Actually this is why they should have never shut in the first place. You can't just flip a switch and turn the economy back on. In a few weeks, the shutdowns will have been exposed as pointless, foolish, and ineffective. Liberals are in panic mode over this.
None of that makes any sense.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:35 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
What I don't get is these idiot governors are opening up businesses (thanks Governor Abbott!) no one is protecting themselves, the infection rate is now going way up, but economic activity is still barely increasing because so many people are unemployed. Those who are are either scared to go out and don't want to buy stuff, can't buy stuff because most stores are still closed, can't buy stuff because they aren't working full time and can't afford it, or even if they can, they are holding on to their money because they are scared. It makes more sense to stay closed until infection rates go down more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Actually the infection rate is way down. Maybe you should start focusing on posting accurate information, not inaccurate information.

I am posting accurate information. The infection and death rate is up in Texas as of yesterday. Here is the graph. And here is another article that shows that states that are opening up have increased rates of the virus. The infection rates are not going down at all.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...rus-cases.html

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/ar...on-containment

Old 05-07-2020, 07:37 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,506,434 times
Quote:
A lot of people dont understand this.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:40 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
Cuomo was forced to admit that 2/3rds of the new coronavirus cases are from people STAYING AT HOME. So if the majority of people getting this virus are the ones who have hunkered down, venturing out only once every two weeks for groceries, then how many did this entire lockdown really save?

It will become exceedingly hard to justify destroying the economy and people's livelihoods for a shutdown - from which the people observing it were the ones most likely to get infected.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:44 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,084,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
This scares the crap out of me - way more than getting sick with 'ronavirus. We have a full 10% of our population out of work now. Not just 10% of the workforce, but the entire population.

Both my husband and I are out, but I'm the only one that can collect unemployment, and even with the extra from the Fed, it's less that what I had been making. Check out this article about people lining up for food in NJ, and realize it's only going to get worse going forward.
I'm sorry to hear that, swilliamsny. Hang in there.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:53 AM

994 posts, read 501,917 times
Quote:
Cuomo was forced to admit that 2/3rds of the new coronavirus cases are from people STAYING AT HOME. So if the majority of people getting this virus are the ones who have hunkered down, venturing out only once every two weeks for groceries, then how many did this entire lockdown really save?
By your own "logic," it saved many lives. If that many people were impacted with limited exposure, imagine if people had been out more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies