Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 10:23 AM

18,739 posts, read 7,613,748 times

Advertisements

Bad news if you have a pre-existing condition

Good news if you don't appreciate being forced to pay for everyone else's pre-existing conditions.

Old 05-07-2020, 10:26 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
And for lots of these stories there are stories of folks who finally got affordable coverage.

There is no denying the plan has HUGE faults that resulted in outcomes not perceived when it was developed and implemented.

You are right to be frustrated and angry -- so what made your premiums go up and your deductions go up exactly -- that relates to the conditions of the ACA....and address those issues.

It is clear there will ALWAYS be some of the ACA conditions in our health system going forward. Too many Americans finally have coverage, can afford coverage etc. But what needs to happen is to address the unforeseen outcomes that put an unusual burden on finances.

As for increased premiums and higher deductions. I moved to the USA in 1997 and have employer sponsored health care since the day we moved to the USA. Every year since then we have seen our costs increase -- employee portion of the premium and the deductions going up. I had one friend in 2007 that said her employer sponsered health care hadn't seen increases in YEARS.....and in 2008 she did and she blamed Obama winning the election and the threat of the health care plans.

Oh and without a doubt insurance companies changed which Doctor I could choose....Obama;s mistake not recognizing that this practice was always there. Insurance companies dropped doctors, medicines, etc....as they chose. WE always had to abide by their rules.

The ACA is heavily flawed but it has some benefits for our society that are much welcomed.
So we have to fix the bad....leave the good

Have you known someone who ever missed a turn driving and refused to turn around and go back out of pure stubbornness, which only ended up getting them even more lost and taking even longer to get to their destination than simply admitting they mistake and going back would have?

That's what Democrats did to our healthcare/insurance system with Obamacare.....

And they're still refusing to turn around.

Old 05-07-2020, 10:32 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
What exactly is a “pre-existing” condition?

There are only two possible states for a medical condition: existing or non-existing. You either have a certain medical condition, or you don’t. “Pre-existing” is a meaningless term.

(I’m channeling my inner George Carlin.)

Does “pre-existing” mean having a health condition that you don’t actually have yet?

Old 05-07-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Didn't let WHAT pass?

If you recall, when the GOP finally got the power, they discovered that they had no alternative plan. So finally they decided "we'll just repeal Obamacare now, and worry about a replacement later".

THAT is what John McCain voted against. Thank God, that would have been a disaster.
And McCain made himself a liar to his constituents by doing so.

In his last campaign he ran on repealing the ACA, and he didn't put any conditions on that vote.

Old 05-07-2020, 10:44 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,520,181 times
Faux news has done such a good job convincing poor people that the profits of the uber rich are more important than that of the lives of the sick. The fake christian right gives Jesus a bad name.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:02 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
It didn’t screw millions. You guys just like parroting talking heads.

I used to work with insurance companies around the time of the switch. You’re premiums were going up more than many are willing to admit today. The facts are; premium inflation slowed down overall with Obamacare.

Obamacare was a bandaid though. Ultimately you guys want an affordable system it involves single payer and government negotiated prices with pharma and medical suppliers. We have an extremely inefficient and unfair system for the user.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
My premiums tripled shortly after the ACA was passed.

My deductibles more than quadrupled.

And coverage also dropped to not include co-pays for office visits, meaning the entire cost of an office visit, even for something as routine as getting a prescription refilled, now goes towards my massively expensive deductible.

Don't even talk to me about out of network lab tests.....!!

I didn't have perfect coverage before Obamacare.....

But it would be considered a Cadillac plan by today's standards....and now, thanks to the ACA, it's little more than an insanely expensive catastrophic illness/injury plan.
This had very little to do with the ACA. The health insurance companies used this as an oppotunity to raise their rates. They are the biggest problem with healthcare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
And for lots of these stories there are stories of folks who finally got affordable coverage.

There is no denying the plan has HUGE faults that resulted in outcomes not perceived when it was developed and implemented.

You are right to be frustrated and angry -- so what made your premiums go up and your deductions go up exactly -- that relates to the conditions of the ACA....and address those issues.

It is clear there will ALWAYS be some of the ACA conditions in our health system going forward. Too many Americans finally have coverage, can afford coverage etc. But what needs to happen is to address the unforeseen outcomes that put an unusual burden on finances.

As for increased premiums and higher deductions. I moved to the USA in 1997 and have employer sponsored health care since the day we moved to the USA. Every year since then we have seen our costs increase -- employee portion of the premium and the deductions going up. I had one friend in 2007 that said her employer sponsered health care hadn't seen increases in YEARS.....and in 2008 she did and she blamed Obama winning the election and the threat of the health care plans.

Oh and without a doubt insurance companies changed which Doctor I could choose....Obama;s mistake not recognizing that this practice was always there. Insurance companies dropped doctors, medicines, etc....as they chose. WE always had to abide by their rules.

The ACA is heavily flawed but it has some benefits for our society that are much welcomed.
So we have to fix the bad....leave the good
Very intelligent post. I wish more people had your understanding of health insurance, especially members of Congress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post

Good news if you don't appreciate being forced to pay for everyone else's pre-existing conditions.
We've got a winner for "Dumbest Post of the Day!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Have you known someone who ever missed a turn driving and refused to turn around and go back out of pure stubbornness, which only ended up getting them even more lost and taking even longer to get to their destination than simply admitting they mistake and going back would have?

That's what Democrats did to our healthcare/insurance system with Obamacare.....

And they're still refusing to turn around.
Let's face it. The Republican Party used to be business and free market oriented, they no longer are. With healthcare, they don't have a clue. They have never come up with a plan for reducing the excessive spending on healthcare, which is a drag on our economy. Here's a tip to Republican Congressmen: force employers out of the health insurance business and have health insurance companies compete with one another. This is the most government protected industry in this country.

Last edited by villageidiot1; 05-07-2020 at 11:16 AM..

Old 05-07-2020, 11:14 AM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post

OH! OH! The perfect human is in our midst! All ye BOW-- I hate to tell you bud, but all humans have something inside to destroy them. No immortals are allowed -- now if you are a cross over ET?? ehh - then maybe got a point .

Old 05-07-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
OH! OH! The perfect human is in our midst! All ye BOW-- I hate to tell you bud, but all humans have something inside to destroy them. No immortals are allowed -- now if you are a cross over ET?? ehh - then maybe got a point .
But some people are able to make it to age 65 (when, as you know, one with enough 'credited quarters' (most people) can enroll in Medicare) before needing to use insurance.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:27 AM

5,984 posts, read 2,238,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
C'mon, I think you know what is meant by pre-existing. Before Obamacare, if I switched to a new insurance company, they could refuse to cover me for any disease or injury that I already had at the time I signed up. Let's say I had a mild case of diabetes, but after I started new insurance my condition worsened and my doctor prescribed insulin. The insurance company could decline to pay for the insulin on the grounds that my diabetes was pre-existing; ie, existing before my policy took effect.

Obamacare mandated that insurance companies now cover these situations. Whether you think that is wise or not,it has been one of the most popular features of Obamacare.
I have done Medical qualifying for claims in the past with a large insurance company (between clinic jobs) and after 1 hour I realized I could reject near every claim due to pre-existing conditions if ACA was not in place (had just passed so it was fresh on my mind). I don't think people realize how thin an excuse or evidence I needed to deny a claim without a pre-existing condition.

Just keep in mind a pre-existing condition does not NEED to be diagnosed previously, the reviewer only needs to make a case that it is linked per Pre-ACA rules. If you didn't have the lawyers to fight it you were screwed even if its bogus.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:45 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
I was reading about this yesterday.

Has Trump yet to unveil his great healthcare plan that he said would be better health coverage for cheaper?
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies