Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think trump has done it right?
YES 6 46.15%
NO 7 53.85%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 12:19 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
I lived for many years in countries that didn't have much in the way of taxes. And it was miserable using dirt roads, hardly any type of sanitation, food safety, no mosquito (pest) control, etc. etc. It was always so great to be back to America.

So if you don't like taxes so much, maybe you should relocate to a country that doesn't have all these taxes. It's not hard to find, I was in a half dozen of them without even trying.
Uhm, if you're going to use the "what about mah roadz and skoolz" rebuttal to someone expressing disgust at the government's theft racket, you're required to not just tell me to leave the country (for using free speech in a country founded on the premise), you have to say Somalia.

Don't you know anything about official internet forum argument_by_fallacy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 12:53 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Mine went straight to the burn pile.
I didn't get a check, so I didn't get a letter either.

It would be nice if he sent me a receipt & apology for the money he took from me.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

It would be nice if he sent me a receipt & apology for the money he took from me.
He didn't technically take it, the IRS held your employer at gunpoint and made them take it. Minor technicality, but like the other morons in federal office, he sure does want to be credited with "gifting" some of it back to you.

Old 05-07-2020, 04:03 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,015,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

Direct deposit for me, then last week the letter.

Old 05-07-2020, 04:08 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
I think anyone who's read the Constitution knows that Congress controls the purse strings, NOT the POTUIS no matter how man silly attempts he makes to make himself appear as the great benefactor.

Last edited by burdell; 05-07-2020 at 04:37 PM..

Old 05-08-2020, 09:49 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,128,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Uhm, if you're going to use the "what about mah roadz and skoolz" rebuttal to someone expressing disgust at the government's theft racket, you're required to not just tell me to leave the country (for using free speech in a country founded on the premise), you have to say Somalia.

Don't you know anything about official internet forum argument_by_fallacy?
I never said you can't exercise your right to free speech. But if you really think the government stole your money via taxes, maybe you can find your happiness in a place that doesn't tax you, or not as much.

It's great to be in America after years of sleeping under a mosquito net, the sight of open air sewer systems running along roads as the normal, unsanitary grocery stores, villagers burning waste every other day, including tires, etc. etc. etc.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:06 AM

23,599 posts, read 12,543,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimahali View Post
People think that Trump should not have posted the letter... and IRS has paid the postage and fees...

There are many people who qualify for the check but didn't get it, but they got the letter. The letter informs them that their check had been sent and an IRS contact number if they did not receive it. Some didn't get it due to it being sent to a closed or wrong bank account, wrong or different mailing address, or because of ID theft or scammers who had managed to intercept the checks, etc. Yes the letters should be sent out. Mine will go into the compost pile, along with other mail that I do not need to keep.

Would those who did not receive a check but got the letter be asking this question? Doubtful that they would.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:09 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimahali View Post
Notice 1444 is an official Notice sent from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) that stimulus payments were sent to the residents of the United States. It is signed by President Trump. The notice is getting backlash from the populace. What is your view?

Source: https://xperimentalhamid.com/news/to...s-notice-1444/

It is the mainstay of Marxism. The crumbs

Old 05-08-2020, 10:10 AM

9,509 posts, read 4,344,731 times
Slow news day or TDS run amuck?

Old 05-08-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I never said you can't exercise your right to free speech. But if you really think the government stole your money via taxes, maybe you can find your happiness in a place that doesn't tax you, or not as much.
I don't think the government stole my money, I know it for a fact based on the definition of words. They stole yours too, you just rationalize it as necessary and therefore not theft. If a street mugger can properly rationalize their actions against you as "necessary", would you similarly excuse their actions as "taxes?"
Quote:
It's great to be in America after years of sleeping under a mosquito net, the sight of open air sewer systems running along roads as the normal, unsanitary grocery stores, villagers burning waste every other day, including tires, etc. etc. etc.
None of that behavior is alleviated with taxation, nor does the absence of a state run system of forced taking create such scenarios.

Plenty of people in the United States live in areas without sewage systems, and very few of them (that I am aware of anyway) use open air sewage ditches as the solution. Likewise, there are urban settings all over the industrialized, taxed world where basic sanitation is virtually nonexistent even though the ruling state taxes the crap out of people. .

Your mosquito thing is funny because governments banned DDT based entirely on the junk science in exactly one book. Had the almighty state not banned DDT, your time in whatever 3rd world area you were in would have been decidedly less mosquito infested.

Taxes <> sanitation. Individual behavior = sanitation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies