Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2020, 07:42 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,665 times

Advertisements

I don't wear them because I can't find an official n95 anywhere. Those are the only ones that are effective. The cloth over your face thing is just a security blanket but in reality, it's like putting a piece of ducktape over a tireslash on a flat tire. It looks effective, but it's not really doing much of anything.

If a store or state enforces facemasks, I'll gladly wear one. But unless it's enforced and until I can find a n95 mask, it's not needed. The only thing it's doing is lowering your oxygen intake, which in turn, makes your immune system weaker, not stronger, and can lead you to pass out like in the article below.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/driver-cra...ry?id=70346532
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 07:43 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Where I used to work they made us wear bump caps. They were hot and for those who never wore hats, uncomfortable. Many said:
But it won't save me if I fall down the steps or something really heavy falls on my head."

They were right. I bump camp wouldn't. Mostly because they weren't designed for that. I hated them at first. Right up until the day I slipped and hit my head against the machine frame. It still hurt. A lot. I hit as luck would have it on the edge of a 1 inch steel frame. Had I not had the bump cap on I would have needed stitches for sure. I was still concussed, but no stitches.

The masks are not 100%, but they serve 2 purposes. Protect the wearer and those around the wearer.

I think people just like to complain.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:44 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I don't wear them because I can't find an official n95 anywhere. Those are the only ones that are effective. The cloth over your face thing is just a security blanket but in reality, it's like putting a piece of ducktape over a tireslash on a flat tire. It looks effective, but it's not really doing much of anything.

If a store or state enforces facemasks, I'll gladly wear one. But unless it's enforced and until I can find a n95 mask, it's not needed.
The CDC recommends cloth masks for the general public.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:45 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post

If a store or state enforces facemasks, I'll gladly wear one. But unless it's enforced and until I can find a n95 mask, it's not needed.
It's my understanding that a non-N95 mask still reduces the number and range of the droplets that an individual puts out in the air around them. Is this wrong?

Old 05-11-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The CDC recommends cloth masks for the general public.
That's nice.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:50 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
I read a letter to the editor in the local newspaper. It was from a ditz who was angry that people who were out in the park were not wearing masks. It made her fear for her safety. I say she should go back home and hide under her bed for the next six months if she's that fearful and ignorant. The masks won't protect you from getting the virus. They will offer SOME protection from you giving the virus to others. Unless you're in close proximity of under 20 feet and breathing the same air like in an enclosed room. Outdoors? The masks are pretty much pointless. If you're sick, stay home to begin with.
People living life like always and how its supposed to be lived. How dare they?

Old 05-11-2020, 08:02 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
It's my understanding that a non-N95 mask still reduces the number and range of the droplets that an individual puts out in the air around them. Is this wrong?
True. I would imagine anything that reduces viral load helps.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-11-2020, 08:03 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,846,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
I wear one whenever outside of my home and will potentially be in close contact to others. Wearing a mask is a reasonable measure to help reduce the infection rate if we are going to move to some degree of normalcy. I suspect that part of the reason that the virus has been fairly tame in Japan, S. Korea, and Taiwan is that they are more accustomed to wearing masks.
Thank you. I so agree. Just seems like a simple, intelligent thing to do. The way I understand, the droplets that can cause the horrific virus, can last in the air for awhile. Kids, should be wearing the masks, too. No big deal. Lets just do it.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I read a letter to the editor in the local newspaper. It was from a ditz who was angry that people who were out in the park were not wearing masks. It made her fear for her safety. I say she should go back home and hide under her bed for the next six months if she's that fearful and ignorant. The masks won't protect you from getting the virus. They will offer SOME protection from you giving the virus to others. Unless you're in close proximity of under 20 feet and breathing the same air like in an enclosed room. Outdoors? The masks are pretty much pointless. If you're sick, stay home to begin with.
People living life like always and how its supposed to be lived. How dare they?
I can understand getting mad about not wearing one in a store But out in a park is just ridiculous.

As long as you're not around anyone within a few feet, you won't get sick from anyone just relaxing at a park or walking down the street. '

I always chuckle when I see people jogging with a mask on. It's like they're asking to pass out at any moment.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:10 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I think I have seen you walking on the trails out here ALONE, with a mask. And in your car ALONE with a mask. It is a big deal. Brainwashed and Brain dead. The Pot helps, right?
Just curious, where do you go in Denver without a mask Mr. tough guy?

Even places like Home Depot and Ace require them, grocery stores... etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies