Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 08:13 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireKwame View Post
Sorry, couldn't think of a better tittle.

I was reminded of a theory I heard once about black people not giving a "courtesy wave" when you let them into traffic. We "tested" it about ten years ago and I forgot about it until a couple months ago when I reversed my car to let somebody in who had been sitting at a driveway in heavy traffic. The driver was actually an Asian female, and she did NOT wave. It sort of ticked me off. I attributed it to her being a foreigner or just raised badly, but then I started paying more attention to this and other little day to day things. A couple things I have noticed:

Almost without exception, white people will "wave" thanks if you let them in.

The same usually applies to what (IMO) looks to be Indians and Arabs.

But, over 50% of the time, Blacks, Hispanics and Asians do NOT gove you a wave. I'm not going to cry about it, but it struck me as funny that it seems so racially divided.

I'm not posting this in a mean way, but I am really curious. What's up with the rudeness? I live in SE Michigan, and it is incredibly diverse, so I am not gauging this on 2 or 3 people of any race. I have been watching this happen not only to ME, but to other drivers. I admit, I find it funnier than anything else...but stil wonder why?

Along the same lines...again, simply out of curiosity...why do Black people tend to walk SOOOOOO slowly when they cross the street and you're waiting to turn? I've never seen any other group of people that this applies to. One black dude told me it was a cultural thing, having to do with showing "you're not afraid" or something, but I see this happeneing in Troy as well as in Detroit (Troy, Mi is on the top 20 safest cities in the USA list, BTW)

Can anybody enlighten me?

Again, I am curious, I am not trolling.
Could you have possibly said anything more racist in this post? Talk about over generalization and putting an entire group of people in the same box! There have been plenty of white people I have allowed to pull out of parking lots into traffic in front of me and didn't give me a "courtesy" wave. You think that it's perfectly fine to stick everyone in the same box? Talk about ignorant. Who cares if they do or don't wave? Are your feelings hurt and insulted so much that you're walking around the world with such a big chip on your shoulder just waiting for someone to knock it off? What about the white people who will see you standing in line at the drug store, or any convenience store and will walk directly to the counter like you're not standing there waiting? Puh-leeeze! Just say you're a racist and get over yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 09:09 PM

523 posts, read 1,282,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Could you have possibly said anything more racist in this post? Talk about over generalization and putting an entire group of people in the same box! There have been plenty of white people I have allowed to pull out of parking lots into traffic in front of me and didn't give me a "courtesy" wave. You think that it's perfectly fine to stick everyone in the same box? Talk about ignorant. Who cares if they do or don't wave? Are your feelings hurt and insulted so much that you're walking around the world with such a big chip on your shoulder just waiting for someone to knock it off? What about the white people who will see you standing in line at the drug store, or any convenience store and will walk directly to the counter like you're not standing there waiting? Puh-leeeze! Just say you're a racist and get over yourself.
Oh my goodness! The hostility, the outrage, the humanity!! Oh, nooooo!

Not a racist, just an observer of human behavior.

Wow, I've never been called a racist before! Gee, this must be how politicians feel!

Old 04-27-2008, 09:27 PM

Great replies, thanks all!

This has turned into a very interesting thread.

I have been called a racist several times and it is not true, but I suppose I could see it coming. I'm just not politically correct, I guess. Anyway...

I DO agree that most of the time is is white males that tend to tailgate. Almost without exception. 2nd place would probably go to teenage girls of any color. Good Lord, put that cell phone down and drive!

But anyway...I was thinking about this and I could compare this thread to the "Garbage Disposal Theory" (Stay with me, it will make sense...)

If you do NOT have a garbage disposal and have anyone over who is helping cook a meal, have you ever noticed how sometimes they will try to wash all kinds of refuse down the kitchen drain? Carrot peels, egg shells, shrimp shells... and you think to yourself...what the H***!? But, people who have always had garbage disposals never think twice. They don't realize they are doing something that could block your drain. They aren't being mailicious, just uninformed. Once you explain it, no more problem.

That, IMO, is much like our differences of actions. Until a black person (and a couple of you) explained the "slow walk" thing, I thought it was just black people intentionaly trying to inconvenience me. I admit it. I am willing to learn about other folks feelings, and the next time it happens I will think about what I have read here. Hopefully, the next time somebody goes out of their way to let you into traffic, you will wave a little thank you, if you don't do so already.

Much like saying "thank you" when somebody waits and holds a door for you, it is just good manners to wave. A smile is nice too.

FYI: I remember the weeks following Sept 11th. Everbody waved at one another. Everybody. We all had respect for each other, I guess because we were all sharing a common sadness.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:53 PM

600 posts, read 1,083,780 times
Quote:
Great replies, thanks all!

This has turned into a very interesting thread.

I have been called a racist several times and it is not true, but I suppose I could see it coming. I'm just not politically correct, I guess. Anyway...

I DO agree that most of the time is is white males that tend to tailgate. Almost without exception. 2nd place would probably go to teenage girls of any color. Good Lord, put that cell phone down and drive!

But anyway...I was thinking about this and I could compare this thread to the "Garbage Disposal Theory" (Stay with me, it will make sense...)

If you do NOT have a garbage disposal and have anyone over who is helping cook a meal, have you ever noticed how sometimes they will try to wash all kinds of refuse down the kitchen drain? Carrot peels, egg shells, shrimp shells... and you think to yourself...what the H***!? But, people who have always had garbage disposals never think twice. They don't realize they are doing something that could block your drain. They aren't being mailicious, just uninformed. Once you explain it, no more problem.

That, IMO, is much like our differences of actions. Until a black person (and a couple of you) explained the "slow walk" thing, I thought it was just black people intentionaly trying to inconvenience me. I admit it. I am willing to learn about other folks feelings, and the next time it happens I will think about what I have read here. Hopefully, the next time somebody goes out of their way to let you into traffic, you will wave a little thank you, if you don't do so already.

Much like saying "thank you" when somebody waits and holds a door for you, it is just good manners to wave. A smile is nice too.

FYI: I remember the weeks following Sept 11th. Everbody waved at one another. Everybody. We all had respect for each other, I guess because we were all sharing a common sadness.
TEENAGE GIRLS?! YOU HORRIBLE SEXIST HUMAN BEING... Im reporting you, you sick SOB. It people like you who are trying to supress women and take away their rights to cellphones. WELL WAKE UP! Women have rights to cellphones too!!

[j/k... obviously]

Old 04-27-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanslyke View Post
TEENAGE GIRLS?! YOU HORRIBLE SEXIST HUMAN BEING... Im reporting you, you sick SOB. It people like you who are trying to supress women and take away their rights to cellphones. WELL WAKE UP! Women have rights to cellphones too!!

[j/k... obviously]

LOL! I'm a woman too, btw! But I never talk on my cell while driving! (Well, maybe sometimes...Shhh!)

Old 04-27-2008, 10:02 PM

600 posts, read 1,083,780 times
Quote:
LOL! I'm a woman too, btw! But I never talk on my cell while driving! (Well, maybe sometimes...Shhh!)
oh, well that ruined my whole rant, prolly shoulda checked your profile...then i could have tried to act serious and see how far i could get...

Old 04-27-2008, 10:11 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,197,513 times
I was recently rear ended by a young man of middle eastern descent on a cell phone. Cell phone driving is equal opportunity

Old 04-27-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I was recently rear ended by a young man of middle eastern descent on a cell phone. Cell phone driving is equal opportunity
Oh, sorry to hear that!

See? We can all find common ground on something!! Let's put the cells down!

Old 04-27-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanslyke View Post
oh, well that ruined my whole rant, prolly shoulda checked your profile...then i could have tried to act serious and see how far i could get...
Oh, please rant! I follow your posts!

Hey, are you the one who said there are no white people in AZ? I can introduce you, if you want. I know at least 4!! What part are u in?

Old 04-27-2008, 10:30 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,197,513 times
Quote:
Oh, sorry to hear that!

See? We can all find common ground on something!! Let's put the cells down!
It was okay, insurance covered it and no one was hurt. The poor guy felt so bad about it, I ended up feeling sorry for him. I think he learned to put down the phone while in the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies