Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was it murder
Yes 299 58.86%
No 68 13.39%
Don't know/let's wait and see as more evidence is gathered 141 27.76%
Voters: 508. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 10:55 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Not Costco, no. I do with plenty of houses under construction. And I know people check out my houses under construction all the time. Curious neighbors, passerbys, etc. I know other people in construction hate that, but I actually don't mind. My guys never leave anything of value behind.

This is a normal occurance. People are curious. Nothing more than that.

Again, Ahmaud was studying to be an electrician. Anyone who has ever studied anything knows that that's all they are interested at the time. Back when I was studying structural engineering (I have a masters and PE), all I could notice was structures.
I did too because I had a new house being built. I'd roll up to the construction site quite often. Other people went through my house too (the builder told me they did). I didn't give two sh**s whatsoever. I'd peek into the neighbors homes under construction to simply look at their layout and would compare it to mine quite often. We've even talked about this after they moved in, they laughed and they said they did the same with our house.

So I'm still struggling to see how this warrants to me being chased down and shot?

Old 05-12-2020, 10:55 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
People are jumping to conclusions here and we will have to wait this out when the GBI conducts a full and thorough investigation on the shooting. This incident is very messy do to very little evidence and motive on this incident. From the videos Arbery did trespass on to the property, but he did not steal anything, he did not break into the property and did not damage any property. The McMichael's should have let law enforcement handle the incident instead of taking matters into thier own hands and now causing a greater mess for themselves and for Georgia and this nation which is still at grips of Covid-19 Pandemic.

I can agree that chasing down Arbery had a racial undertone to it, and it does not look right, however we do know that Arbery fought Travis the man with the shotgun before Travis fired the first shot. Arbery can now be viewed as the aggressor. And another thing is never to tussle with a shotgun, the tussle with the shotgun caused the shotgun to shoot Arbery in the left side of his stomach. It's goign to be hard to give the McMichael's a murder sentench here. The video must be watched multiple times in order for one to get an accurate judgment of what happen. I too wish this thing did not happen, and it is disgusting for the McMichael's to hunt down Arbery in such an inhumane factor. This incident proves that why as ordinary citizens, never take the law into your own hand unless if it's life or death. Arbery did not commit a felony, and just a minor misdeameanor which can be thrown out or just a slap on the rist for Arbery by an magistrate. The McMichael's deserve some time here.
How can the person that was chased over two different streets, then confronted by armed men be the aggressor when he tried to defend himself after trying to get away from the men that were chasing him?

You can not instigate then cry self defense. By taking chase and confronting Arbery with guns drawn the McMichaels were the aggressors.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:56 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
There is a very dark and grainy video of someone checking out the place at night. But again, nothing was taken from the property. At worst, it was tresspassing.

Conservatives are calling him a burglar even though there has never been anything stolen. It is like calling a 12 year old backseat passenger in a car a "drunk driver" even though he was sitting in the back. Makes no sense, but that is what they are pushing.

Memo to conservatives: in order to even have a burglary something must have been stolen. The homeowner of the house under construction has said nothing was EVER stolen from that property.
This isn’t true. All that needs to happen for burglary is the person enter with the purpose of stealing. There is no requirement that you actually get away with some stolen property.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:56 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
SO what is the theory? He went back over and over in desperation for someone to leave behind a tool he could steal?

Old 05-12-2020, 10:57 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Exactly! That is how you know that it is racism. They create justification for the death of a black person when there is no justification. A person trespassing is worthy of death.....because the committed crimes in the past.....none of which the penalty, in court, is death.

They demonize to rationalize that they are not racist in order to avoid moral injury to themselves and to avoid being seen as the racist they are.
I think that's a fair shot.

But what about the reverse? When a young man is shot, why do family members gild the lily and make up stories about them that are provably false? Where does that come from, as if their loved one isn't deserving of fair treatment under the law just by being a human being? Why is the first thing out of grieving family's mouths an untrue characterization of the deceased?

And conversely, why does the media make up a completely untrue narrative, that these two men were driving around the neighborhood with loaded guns when they spotted a jogger and went after him? Why that lie?

Can't we just LOOK at this case for what it is, without both sides needing to shift reality?

Old 05-12-2020, 10:57 AM

130,290 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
That won't work so well, especially when his rap sheet comes out. Seriously, why do people care? What did Ahmaud Arbery do for anyone?
He was a human being. Human life still means something, to me anyhow.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I know it's hard to keep up with who is who in this very long thread, and what people believe and post, but you've mischaracterized me completely.

I always see both sides. Always. In every issue.

I see his grieving family, and his value, and that he in fact wasn't burgling the house but had some kind of real interest in being inside that house that didn't have anything to do with committing a crime. For some reason, he was drawn there and had an curiosity.

I see the McMichael's side, too. They knew of the fact he had repeatedly been inside that house, knew of a few crimes in the neighborhood, as well as having a gun stolen from them, and witnessed him again go into the house in broad daylight and decided to put a stop to this and facilitate his arrest and prosecution.

I'm just trying to "flesh out" who he is, and I'm actually really taken by the fact that he kept revisiting that house, his fascination with it. Because that's like me.

And I don't expect you to be able to keep all the poster's opinions straight, but I don't want to be mischaracterized as justifying this killing, or being a racist.

Nothing could be further from the truth. I'm just incurably nosy.
None of which is a valid legal reason to chase down and confront Arbery for a citizens arrest under the law, and McMichaels can not claim ignorance of the law since he was a LEO.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:58 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I have, lots of people do. I worked in construction for years, new home construction, it was not uncommon at all for people to walk onto the site after hours and look in the houses under construction. No one ever really cared unless the house was near finished, but the doors were usually locked at that point.

There is nothing to steal in those things unless you have tools and a car. Stereotype played a role also. The scraggly looking guy would most likely get some hassle by someone, versus the suburbia looking couple. To add to the mix, often it was people who bought a home that has not started to be built yet in the neighborhood, or it was the person's actual home being built, or someone who is going to work there in the next few days or weeks scoping out how far along the house is.

But depends all on the area, though it was not allowed, nothing ever happened so no one cared nor made an issue of it. To the lay person, unless it was an obvious event, would not be able to tell who actually was allowed there.
Thanks for the non-answer. You can always try again.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I think it is, because intent is always important - at least it is in a real justice system that is more concerned with truth, rather than convictions.
Their intent was not legal. They were not legally allowed to make a citizens arrest. Claiming that you had good intentions while violating the law is not an excuse.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:59 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I have, numerous times. Never been chased or shot.

When my father was in new construction there were many people that came and walked through the houses under construction. The kids in the neighborhood used to play in the houses. It is a regular occurrence.
Another non-answer. Try again...if you dare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies