Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was it murder
Yes 299 58.86%
No 68 13.39%
Don't know/let's wait and see as more evidence is gathered 141 27.76%
Voters: 508. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 11:14 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,869,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
What exactly compels someone to enter homes that aren't theirs? Was he lost? Can you point me to some new jogging boots?
I used to drive to a neighborhood that had its streets all paved, streetlight up, utilities sited for each lot, but when the economy collapsed no homes were ever built. This neighborhood had a large field at the bottom of a hill that had a running creek behind it, and it was bordered by two cattle farms. I would take my dog for walks there, the hills were better than the flat area where I lived, and I would let my dog run loose in the field. After a few years when the economy started getting better, some of the lots (all of the lots, now) got sold and people started building homes. I checked out several of the houses as they were being constructed, to get a sense of how big they were, what lay-outs, walk-in closets or not, how many bathrooms, built-in storm shelters, etc. When the houses were just frames, like the one Arbery was checking out. Later on, when the drywall was up, and doors and windows installed, the houses were locked up, and while I might peek into a window, I didn't go in. As people moved in, I would sometimes visit with them, chat about how I liked the transoms they installed in one house, or how big the deck on another was. Eventually, I stopped walking in the neighborhood, because with all the people living there, I no longer felt comfortable letting my dog run loose in the field and kids would be playing in the creek now, where I let my dog swim.

By the way, the guy was not wearing boots.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:15 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
That is not the story told by the media and I don't believe it ever was.

But prove me wrong. Cite a legitimate media source suggesting that the two guys were driving around and chanced upon Arbery.

And I would also like to see a cite where the family made up something about Arbery. I do not believe that is true either.
I'm not going to. If you want to google it, I'll give you the terms: Ahmaud Avery was studying to become an electrician, and Travis McMichael was driving around with a loaded gun when he spotted a jogger.

I'm kind of done being a "gopher" for people too lazy to do their own googling.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:15 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,356,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Yes, I have and still do sometimes. Even without permission, or having any vested interest in the property.
I appreciate the answer. Thank you.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:16 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I used to drive to a neighborhood that had its streets all paved, streetlight up, utilities sited for each lot, but when the economy collapsed no homes were ever built. This neighborhood had a large field at the bottom of a hill that had a running creek behind it, and it was bordered by two cattle farms. I would take my dog for walks there, the hills were better than the flat area where I lived, and I would let my dog run loose in the field. After a few years when the economy started getting better, some of the lots (all of the lots, now) got sold and people started building homes. I checked out several of the houses as they were being constructed, to get a sense of how big they were, what lay-outs, walk-in closets or not, how many bathrooms, built-in storm shelters, etc. When the houses were just frames, like the one Arbery was checking out. Later on, when the drywall was up, and doors and windows installed, the houses were locked up, and while I might peek into a window, I didn't go in. As people moved in, I would sometimes visit with them, chat about how I liked the transoms they installed in one house, or how big the deck on another was. Eventually, I stopped walking in the neighborhood, because with all the people living there, I no longer felt comfortable letting my dog run loose in the field and kids would be playing in the creek now, where I let my dog swim.

By the way, the guy was not wearing boots.
The police report written at the scene stated they were Nikes. It may be the fact that they weren't laced that made them look like boots.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:17 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,356,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
You know that driving even 1 mph above the speed limit is breaking the law, right?

Walking thru someone's yard is tressspassing. Accidentally driving down a private street is tresspassing. So is checking out a construction site that is not locked up.

We as a society have decided long ago that there is the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. No judge would uphold a speeding ticket for going 1mph over the speed limit. No prosecutor would ever charge a kid for tresspassing because he walked thru someone's yard to get home. And no construction company I have ever heard of that would press charges on curious people for checking out their construction site if nothing was stolen.

Why? Because of the spirit of the law. We as a society have decided that these laws were written for a certain reason. There is no need to throw the book at someone for doing innocently doing something even if it technically violates the law, like driving 5mph above the speed limit.

You are making a ridiculous argument, and you know it.
Speeding isn't a violation of natural law. Trespassing is.

I understand that you folks honestly believe it's ok to violate individuals but it's all well and good. I'm just seeing how many admissions I can get because anyone who says they are doing this is outright lying.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:17 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,940,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm not going to. If you want to google it, I'll give you the terms: Ahmaud Avery was studying to become an electrician, and Travis McMichael was driving around with a loaded gun when he spotted a jogger.

I'm kind of done being a "gopher" for people too lazy to do their own googling.
He wasn't a "jogger" as the media has been falsely labeling him. ANd they weren't just driving around. They had a purpose because there had been breakins and someone fitting his description. He was reported as trespassing on the property because a cop car checked on the house after he left.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:18 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,557,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinta loca View Post
Clara just takes for granted everything the McMichaels say is true and everything Arbery’s family says is questionable

Reality is everything is questionable but some things are irrelevant. The character of Arbery’s family is irrelevant. Whether they are truthful or not it doesn’t make a difference. They were not witnesses.
Further than that. She has them eye witnessing something they never did. They never even claimed to have seen Arbery at the house that day.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinta loca View Post
Clara just takes for granted everything the McMichaels say is true and everything Arbery’s family says is questionable

Reality is everything is questionable but some things are irrelevant. The character of Arbery’s family is irrelevant. Whether they are truthful or not it doesn’t make a difference. They were not witnesses.
I sometimes wonder if other people's computer screens look different than mine, and maybe you aren't able to see the name on posts, so you're forced to just see anyone who posts opinions disagreeing with yours as one big amorphous unidentifiable blob? And since there's no real way in your world to see and react to what a poster is actually posting, you just decide to make stuff up.

Because, no. Not at all.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:20 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,940,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
You know that driving even 1 mph above the speed limit is breaking the law, right?

Walking thru someone's yard is tressspassing. Accidentally driving down a private street is tresspassing. So is checking out a construction site that is not locked up.

We as a society have decided long ago that there is the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. No judge would uphold a speeding ticket for going 1mph over the speed limit. No prosecutor would ever charge a kid for tresspassing because he walked thru someone's yard to get home. And no construction company I have ever heard of that would press charges on curious people for checking out their construction site if nothing was stolen.

Why? Because of the spirit of the law. We as a society have decided that these laws were written for a certain reason. There is no need to throw the book at someone for doing innocently doing something even if it technically violates the law, like driving 5mph above the speed limit.

You are making a ridiculous argument, and you know it.
BUt speeding 5 minutes after a bank robbery in a car matching the description is different from just speeding. And then trying to assault and wrestle away the gun wouldn't help either. Nice try.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:21 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,405,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
The guys who confronted him were idiots....

But this guy was arrested for bringing a gun to high school a few years ago and was most likely burglarizing.

These people flying off the handle acting like Mother Theresa got executed in broad daylight are something else...
His background is irrelevant.

It is so unfortunate events like this immediately turn into a Political game. It's too bad that it always seems to be if you take a stance with one side that means politically you stand with one party and vice versa. It happens all the time and it's one of the biggest problems with Politics. Not everything has to be a political point.

From what I know about this whole fiasco, is I don't care if this guy was out for a jog, was lurking around a place that was currently being built, Hell I don't care if he had just actually broken into a home and stole something or just stole from someones car parked in their driveway. It doesn't give these shooters the right to do what they did. Their crime does not fit whatever they accused or thought Arbery did.

If you think this guy just committed a crime of either, trespassing? burglary or theft, it doesn't mean you go wait on the side of the road with guns and wait for him and then confront him. They are the ones that escalated things.

They have absolutely no business confronting the guy, instead they should have called the Police if they thought the suspect was running down there street. And again, IF he even committed a crime, their actions did not match the crimes he would have committed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies