Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was it murder
Yes 299 58.86%
No 68 13.39%
Don't know/let's wait and see as more evidence is gathered 141 27.76%
Voters: 508. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 11:40 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
If I’m scoping out empty places for power tools and copper, can someone tell me why I should run up on two armed rednecks in the south with my fists?

At one point will we learn not to pick fights with random people? Not a bar fight, not a road rage fight, not a mall fight, not any fight because you don’t know how crazy the other person is.
Did you miss the part where they had chased him over several streets and had him blocked in between two cars before confronting him with guns drawn?

He tried flight, when that was no longer an option he tried to fight for his life.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:40 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
If I’m scoping out empty places for power tools and copper, can someone tell me why I should run up on two armed rednecks in the south with my fists?

At one point will we learn not to pick fights with random people? Not a bar fight, not a road rage fight, not a mall fight, not any fight because you don’t know how crazy the other person is.
Arbery wasn't picking fights with random people. He was being chased by two men, both with guns, in a pickup. He switched directions, they pursued him, he switched directions a second time, they continued to pursue him. They cut him off, and this time he chose fight rather than flight. He already knew these people were a threat, that was made clear to him by their pursuit. Pursuers aren't random people.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:43 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,123,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
It only matters to those on both sides that try to use jogging (or not jogging) to support their unsupportable positions.
One thing for sure, the victim was on foot running for his life in a t-shirt, shorts and some type of footwear while three guys (two armed in a pickup and another with at least a cell phone capable of video) in vehicles that were actively and aggressively chasing after him for a substantial period of time and distance.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:46 AM

10,711 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
You asked if it was lawful to merely be standing in the road with guns. We know from their own testimony they were chasing Arbery, so why the question?
If you are unable to see the potential issues with video showing Arbery running towards a stopped truck and a man standing in the road with a gun, I don't know how I can help you. It will almost assuredly be part of the defense's case.

That Georgia is an open carry state doesn't make the fact that Travis was in the road with a gun the "smoking gun" issue that some seem to think it is.

There is a lot of uncertainty about the exact nature of the "pursuit" through the neighborhood, and the events that led up to the shooting. But there isn't much uncertainty about what can be seen in the video.

This is far from a slam dunk case for the prosecution.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:48 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Doubtful.

One of the videos you can see the boat. He is backtracking for fear of the Pitchfork mobs
The owner said the equipment was stolen during transport from one property to another and that it was not stolen while at this property. He didn't say the boat was stolen.

This may come as a surprise to you, but some people own multiple properties.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:48 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
So, based on that, you conclude that he was jogging? That's one heck of an unsupported conclusion.

Concluding something that isn't supported by the evidence is just plain silly, and it does nothing to further meaningful discussion.
I conclude that he was out walking or jogging. Do you think he was floating???? The EVIDENCE is that he was dressed appropriately for walking or jogging, and he didn't have a vehicle. It's not silly to think that he was walking or jogging that day. Did he trespass on an under-construction property? The EVIDENCE shows that, too. Was he subsequently pursued by two men? And shot to death by one of them? Yes, the EVIDENCE shows that, too.

I understand that many who feel the McMichaels were in the right have to embellish the facts in order to defend them. But the EVIDENCE doesn't say that Arbery was a burglar. There is NO EVIDENCE that Arbery intended to steal anything. There is NO EVIDENCE that Arbery had stolen anything from that neighborhood at any time. There is NO EVIDENCE that Arbery was there for anything other than a walk or jog through a pretty neighborhood. You can never PROVE that Arbery was there for anything other than a walk or a jog. Mostly because Arbery is dead, and so no one can ever establish his intent. I don't know what additional information you are expecting to discover. But thus far, it's you making silly arguments.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:50 AM

5,978 posts, read 2,232,627 times
I saw the interview on CNN of the guy who shot the video. His lawyer literally threw the entire Georgia school system under the bus and stated his client could not answer questions or understand the questions because he went to high school in Georgia.

I fly and drive to Atlanta regularly from Florida and forget how poor most of Georgia really is. Heck I forget how poor most of Florida is. I felt like I was watching a news interview from the 1980's.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:51 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,029 times
Quote:
Is there evidence of this happening, or are you just engaging in some artistic license as it makes for a better story?

From what I've seen and read, the first time a gun appeared was after Travis stopped the truck, and was standing in the road with his shotgun. Is there evidence of the guns coming out earlier, and being waved in Arbery's face?
The mcmichaels said they had the guns since the chase began.

OK, we can do the experiment where I will chase you around with my truck and I will only point my guns in the air so you can see. I will then yell at you to stop and detain you while waiving the guns not specifically to your face.

Will you volunteer for this experiment?

Old 05-13-2020, 11:52 AM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Homeowner (who btw isn't the McMichaels) said nothing is missing and that people go through the construction site often.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:57 AM

10,711 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I conclude that he was out walking or jogging. Do you think he was floating???? The EVIDENCE is that he was dressed appropriately for walking or jogging, and he didn't have a vehicle. It's not silly to think that he was walking or jogging that day.
My position is that claiming that he was out jogging is unsupportable. If you aren't making that claim, then we are in agreement.

Quote:
Did he trespass on an under-construction property? The EVIDENCE shows that, too. Was he subsequently pursued by two men? And shot to death by one of them? Yes, the EVIDENCE shows that, too.

I understand that many who feel the McMichaels were in the right have to embellish the facts in order to defend them. But the EVIDENCE doesn't say that Arbery was a burglar. There is NO EVIDENCE that Arbery intended to steal anything. There is NO EVIDENCE that Arbery had stolen anything from that neighborhood at any time. There is NO EVIDENCE that Arbery was there for anything other than a walk or jog through a pretty neighborhood. You can never PROVE that Arbery was there for anything other than a walk or a jog. Mostly because Arbery is dead, and so no one can ever establish his intent. I don't know what additional information you are expecting to discover. But thus far, it's you making silly arguments.
You seem to be taking lessons from jencam and are railing against arguments that I'm not making. Perhaps you intended to respond to someone else when you posted this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies