Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was it murder
Yes 299 58.86%
No 68 13.39%
Don't know/let's wait and see as more evidence is gathered 141 27.76%
Voters: 508. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 05:38 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
That's fine. I have no problem with people focusing on what they consider to be an injustice. But I also argue that it--coupled with silence in other cases--just shows where folks' priorities are. Blacks kill blacks to the tune of thousands each year, but the only time I see the black community up in arms, protesting, shutting things down (or threatening to) is when someone black happens to be killed by someone white

Even on the interracial front, black offenders kill almost twice as many whites as the reverse is true, despite whites vastly outnumbering blacks in this country.

Start a thread on that.

Old 05-17-2020, 05:41 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,433,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
But trespassing is completely normal and acceptable, and the home owner didn't care that it was happening......
Its not normal to call police over something suspicious on your property and have them refer you to the retired cop who lives down the street from your property

I dont know about you, but I pay taxes for the real police to come out and do their job themselves.

Old 05-17-2020, 05:43 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times
Quote:
Trespassing may be normal in some circumstances. But I think its a stretch to claim that it is acceptable or that the owner didn't care what was happening in this case. After all, the owner called 911 on numerous occasions to report trespassers at the property, which he knew about due to the surveillance cameras on site.

So the police department should have increased patrols in that area. Or they could have rolled by Arbery's house and arrested him--they knew where he lived.

They certainly should not have advised English to call a private citizen instead of the police department. That's a cop that needs to be fired and a department that needs to be investigated.

Further, it's incredible that the when McMicaels was relieved of his authority to make arrests (for cause), there was no department protocol to inform him officially. He continued to make arrests for years after losing the authority to do so, and evidence indicates that he was never officially informed of it.

That throws into legal jeopardy any arrests he made during that time--and they probably weren't all of black suspects.

'Way too much good ol' boy-ism going on in that police department and DA's office.

Old 05-17-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
That's fine. I have no problem with people focusing on what they consider to be an injustice. But I also argue that it--coupled with silence in other cases--just shows where folks' priorities are. Blacks kill blacks to the tune of thousands each year, but the only time I see the black community up in arms, protesting, shutting things down (or threatening to) is when someone black happens to be killed by someone white

Even on the interracial front, black offenders kill almost twice as many whites as the reverse is true, despite whites vastly outnumbering blacks in this country.
I dont think its just the black community up in arms over this case.

Plenty of white people are concerned about multiple different issues related to this case.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:07 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,333,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
So the police department should have increased patrols in that area. Or they could have rolled by Arbery's house and arrested him--they knew where he lived.

They certainly should not have advised English to call a private citizen instead of the police department. That's a cop that needs to be fired and a department that needs to be investigated.

Further, it's incredible that the when McMicaels was relieved of his authority to make arrests (for cause), there was no department protocol to inform him officially. He continued to make arrests for years after losing the authority to do so, and evidence indicates that he was never officially informed of it.

That throws into legal jeopardy any arrests he made during that time--and they probably weren't all of black suspects.

'Way too much good ol' boy-ism going on in that police department and DA's office.
You are missing the obvious. The cop knows that there is no trespassing violation and nothing that a Cop could do. And I doubt very much that a cop could claim to be an agent of the owner thus barring a person from further entry into the property. So they used McMichael to get the client an acceptable agent to chase interlopers off. Practical policing.

I'll bite. Why on earth would a DA investigator ever arrest anyone?

If the DA wants some one arrested they would send the local police to do the dirty work.

So I doubt very much that there is any substantial number of arrests by McMichael. And likely any that did occur would involve other officers who were legal.

My suspicion is that McMichael was the DA office straw box dispatching others to do the work and supervising their actions.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I'll bite. Why on earth would a DA investigator ever arrest anyone?

If the DA wants some one arrested they would send the local police to do the dirty work.

So I doubt very much that there is any substantial number of arrests by McMichael. And likely any that did occur would involve other officers who were legal.

My suspicion is that McMichael was the DA office straw box dispatching others to do the work and supervising their actions.
I dont think it matters what he did because the agency that requires the training gave him a waiver after the fact of him not completing his training.

That may not stop people suing to have convictions overturned, but I'm guessing it covers them.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:24 PM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Not just the DA imo lol.

But, I'm also interested in the vigilante aspects of it.

As well as citizens arrests in anything other than shoplifting are incredibly rare.........obviously for good reason.

The race stuff is interesting but isnt any story we havent heard before.
I would be less supportive of vigilantism if the police were legally required to protect people and if people could pursue criminal prosecutions by themselves on behalf of the State.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:27 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,874,022 times
I was avoiding this thread because of those who defend a senseless shooting.

On the other side they give the McMichaels too much credit. They didn't plan the shooting. I think that they envisioned making a citizens arrest and nothing went as planned. They didn't expect Arbery to do what many or most of us would do. Tell the McMichaels to go pound sand. It escalated and spun out of control. I honestly don't believe that anyone planned on someone getting shot. I think they had a fantasy notion that Arbery would simply submit to them and behave like a whipped dog. I would not have submitted to the McMichaels either. Screw them and their sense of super hero BS.

The McMichaels have no legal leg to sand on. They didn't know if any crime other than a simple trespass was committed. They made a series of bad choices that ultimately led to he shooting. They won't be convicted, not for murder. Hopefully they will be sued for wrongful death.

Those idiots make all gun owners look like idiots. They should have learned from what happened with Zimmerman.

The performance of the local cops and the DA's office? That has the intention community talking. It literally made the news in SE Asia, Australia and Norway. I know people those places and they emailed me asking what is wrong with my country.. My reply was too many police agencies and not enough oversight.

Last edited by boneyard1962; 05-17-2020 at 06:56 PM..

Old 05-17-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readyplayer1 View Post
He definitely didn’t care to have the McMichaels help him out
I saw the interview with the home owner and his lawyer. That man acted like he barely knew the McMichaels and that he absolutely didn't invite them to involve themselves. He also acted like it wasn't a big deal that Arbery looked around the job site.

The missing Fishing equipment. He never reported missing because he said he didn't know when or where it was stolen.

He was aware of the stolen firearm.

I struggle with, he McMichaels had a firearm stolen, therefore it had to be Arbery that stole it because he was seen looking around a job sight 2 months later. Thin, very thin.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readyplayer1 View Post
Usually, the black person is brought to justice. When you see the black community up in arms is because justice has not been served. Just like this case, two men murdered a young black man and was allowed to go home with not even a slap on the wrist. The parents of the young man were lied to about the details surrounding the murder of their son. This was a miscarriage of justice for this family. Why aren’t you up in arms?
That is what has the international community talking. It is also why I believe that when ever it is a police related shooting hat the FED investigate it. Cop related as in cop, ex-cop, cop family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies