Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was it murder
Yes 299 58.86%
No 68 13.39%
Don't know/let's wait and see as more evidence is gathered 141 27.76%
Voters: 508. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 02:24 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
I agree. Something odd going on with most of her strategy and media engagement.
Maybe she just wants her 15 min of fame whether or not it comes at the expense of her client.

Old 05-19-2020, 06:03 AM

667 posts, read 1,848,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyBlock View Post
There was no violent attack Travis. What occurred was clearly in self-defense . It's completely ridiculous and clearly delusional to say that Arbury is a violent attacker when he is only clearly defending himself. FACT Arbery is being chased down in a car by two men with weapons . That is a fact that they are the aggressors. It's a fact that only person who was violently attacked was Arbery. Generally people who have guns and are chasing other people are the aggressors . That is just basic facts. Facts is you can safely say The two men with a gun are the aggressors not the ones being attacked. The one being chased is not the aggressor and not attacking but trying to defend himself obviously. Usually in the real world the people that are being chased are not the aggressors. The people who are doing the chasing are the aggressor. Is a real-world aggressors cannot be attacked. Arbery can only try to defend himself against his violent attackers. The two men were violently chasing him down in a car. There is only so much you can do either try to get away or a defend yourself. And they have him cornered so he had no choice but to defend himself.
I agree. Thank you.

Old 05-19-2020, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedThink View Post
Based on the videos, it is a fact that several individuals entered the house under construction.

It is thought by some that Ahmaud entered the house to drink water. Others believe that Ahmaud entered the house to steal something. If Ahmaud did indeed enter the house to drink water, then his finger prints would probably be on the faucet handle.

Fact, the owner of the house did not report any property was destroyed or missing.

Ahmaud appears to resume jogging after exiting the house. Others believe that he was running away (and not jogging) after stealing something from the house. Or, individuals state that he trespassed and therefore the pursuit was justified.

It appears that Ahmaud was pursued by more than one individual in at least two vehicles. In one of the vehicles were two armed men - one with a shotgun and one with a handgun. Hence, there are four weapons being used - a shotgun, a hand gun and two vehicles!

It appears that the pursuit was a prolonged one. Hence, it appears reasonable that it would cause anxiety and fear for the individual being pursued.

But, some individuals are adamant that Ahmaud did not experience any anxiety and/or fear because he is the attacker in this case as if he is some sort of "beast" who does not experience fear and of superhuman abilities who is attacking someone with a shotgun!

Where have we heard this before?

So, after being pursued for several minutes and then not only being cutoff by one of the vehicles, the driver exits with a shotgun!

Behind Ahmaud is a another vehicle that participated in the pursuit that contains another individual that is filming the events on a cell phone.

By the way, a some-what similar incident happened to me when I was about 24 years old. As a friend and I walked to a small store in a mid-sized Southern town, a white man drove a pickup truck toward us and drove around in circles around us about 6 times hollering and screaming! At first, I am standing somewhat shocked and assuming that at any moment, the driver was going to hit us with the truck. After about a minute and a half, the driver speeds off! Happened so fast, we did not get a license plate number. My first time visiting this town. Have not been back since. But, if and when I visit again, I will not be as "surprised" as the first time that this occurred.
I agree he was pursued and cut off and likely terrified, although he might have been used to having white people harass him, based on a video posted yesterday where some cops tazed him for no reason and he kept his cool.

By the way, the police didn't investigate this when it happened (in February). If they had (if they had cared about this shooting), they might have questioned the homeowner, been curious about fingerprints and looked for them. That might have explained a lot. Hopefully, some prints are still there, but the lack of fingerprints today might not mean much.

By the way (NYT video, 5:29) you can see Arbery's white tee shirt through the windshield of the truck as he approaches Travis. He received the mortal wound (shot gun blast to the chest) before the tussle, before he physically reaches Travis. At the time he was shot, he had grabbed the barrel and was pushing it down, or was trying to grab it and push it down. (He emerges a fraction of a second later, pushing the barrel down) After he was shot, he tried to fight, but he collapsed in fifteen seconds and died.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100...1-georgia.html

Old 05-19-2020, 06:50 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen59 View Post
He received the mortal wound (shot gun blast to the chest) before the tussle, before he physically reaches Travis. At the time he was shot, he had grabbed the barrel and was pushing it down, or was trying to grab it and push it down. (He emerges a fraction of a second later, pushing the barrel down) After he was shot, he tried to fight, but he collapsed in fifteen seconds and died.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100...1-georgia.html
How are you so certain of this? It can't be seen from the video you linked from NYT.

Old 05-19-2020, 06:57 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
New video shows a very confrontational Arbery fighting with police after they found him in a high drug crime area. The video is in the link below:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...years-ago.html

Also, I couldn’t help but notice that those Justice for Arbery protestors are not 6 feet apart.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
How are you so certain of this? It can't be seen from the video you linked from NYT.

I posted why I felt this before, and if someone who understands guns knows better, maybe they can help me understand. The Times states the first blast was to the chest (maybe based on autopsy results?), but also, you can see the blood that soon covers the front and side of his tee shirt, and his shorts.

The gun shot comes when you see his tee shirt has not yet reached Travis (He could be not be physically in contact with Travis's body, but his hands could have reached the gun.) But more telling, microseconds later, he emerges with his hands on the barrel, pushing down, not enough time for him to have changed the position of his hands.

By the way, in the posted tazing video, Arbery kept his cool, he let the cops push him around, and he didn't attack the cops who had guns. He doesn't seem insane or illogical. What would make him rush at Travis and push the gun barrel down? Maybe Travis did something threatening.

But, I don't know. I guess more fact will emerge as we go on

I feel very upset about this incident for some reason, very upset for this young man.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:05 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
New video shows a very confrontational Arbery fighting with police after they found him in a high drug crime area. The video is in the link below:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...years-ago.html

Also, I couldn’t help but notice that those Justice for Arbery protestors are not 6 feet apart.

I didn't see in that video where Arbery did any "fighting."

But the more people try to demonize Arbery (who, granted, was no angel), the more it demonstrates that the police should have handled this rather than an ex-cop and two civilians.

Everyone knew who Arbery was. Why were the police so lackadaisical with a known problem, if he was known to be a problem, for so long?

Old 05-19-2020, 07:12 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyplayer1 View Post
It also shows a police officer come up without knowing what’s going on and attempt to tase him. Why would he do that when he is later heard saying he didn’t know what was going on? That police deparment certainly have a lot of problems.
Now you know why they call them "Georgia crackers".

Old 05-19-2020, 07:19 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen59 View Post
I posted why I felt this before, and if someone who understands guns knows better, maybe they can help me understand. The Times states the first blast was to the chest (maybe based on autopsy results?), but also, you can see the blood that soon covers the front and side of his tee shirt, and his shorts.

The gun shot comes when you see his tee shirt has not yet reached Travis (He could be not be physically in contact with Travis's body, but his hands could have reached the gun.) But more telling, microseconds later, he emerges with his hands on the barrel, pushing down, not enough time for him to have changed the position of his hands.

By the way, in the posted tazing video, Arbery kept his cool, he let the cops push him around, and he didn't attack the cops who had guns. He doesn't seem insane or illogical. What would make him rush at Travis and push the gun barrel down? Maybe Travis did something threatening.

But, I don't know. I guess more fact will emerge as we go on

I feel very upset about this incident for some reason, very upset for this young man.
With regard to the gunshot, I don't believe it is possible to state that he was shot before the tussle or reaching Travis. Perhaps the mooted unreleased second video will provide more detail.

I thought the 2017 video was interesting, albeit irrelevant to this matter.

I thought it showed a very combative Arbery who only became calm once he knew there was no alternative. His initial response was unhinged and over the top, and similar to his response in the shooting. He was doing something wrong, he got caught out, and his response is to attack. If only he could have thought a little more clearly in Feb this year. He would still be alive to carry on his life.

Equally illogical in my opinion would be his decision to drive unlicensed and spend the morning of his one day off per week sitting in his car in that spot where drug deals usually go down.

Having said all that, he didn't deserve to be stopped by the wannabe cops. They should have simply called the police and identified Arbery. They tried to be local hero's and will hopefully spend some time behind bars regretting their stupid decision.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:21 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
Quote:
With regard to the gunshot, I don't believe it is possible to state that he was shot before the tussle or reaching Travis. Perhaps the mooted unreleased second video will provide more detail.

I thought the 2017 video was interesting, albeit irrelevant to this matter.

I thought it showed a very combative Arbery who only became calm once he knew there was no alternative. His initial response was unhinged and over the top, and similar to his response in the shooting. He was doing something wrong, he got caught out, and his response is to attack. If only he could have thought a little more clearly in Feb this year. He would still be alive to carry on his life.

Equally illogical in my opinion would be his decision to drive unlicensed and spend the morning of his one day off per week sitting in his car in that spot where drug deals usually go down.

Having said all that, he didn't deserve to be stopped by the wannabe cops. They should have simply called the police and identified Arbery. They tried to be local hero's and will hopefully spend some time behind bars regretting their stupid decision.
Bottom line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies