Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was it murder
Yes 299 58.86%
No 68 13.39%
Don't know/let's wait and see as more evidence is gathered 141 27.76%
Voters: 508. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 07:15 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,117,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAndrewJackson View Post
Society is better off having this scum removed from the gene pool before he reproduced. Can you imagine how much the future crime rate has been lowered with this criminal's death?

This punk reminds me of one of my brothers and his friends. It was a good thing for society when my brother was killed, it just should have happened sooner. Society has everything to gain by cleaning up the gene pool. There is no loss here except to those who are emotionally attached to the degenerate. And had the people close to Arbrey acted responsibly and not tolerated his behavior, he may have went down a different path in life.

More or less that is what happened to my brothers and sisters. Had our community, the public schools, the churches, and neighbors not condoned, and thus normalized aberrant behavior, had society used its coercive force to correct my siblings actions, their outcome and that of so many of my peers may have been very different. Which is not to excuse my siblings, they made their choices, same parents, same neighborhood, same community, vastly different outcomes, but the issue is in the end with the individual and their community. This is 100% on Arbrey and the people he surrounded himself with. And this comment is being made by the father of 4 minority males.

I feel sorry for the men who offed this punk. They are the actual victims here. They were doing what they are suppose to do, protecting their community, policing it and attempting to protect it from an undesirable element. Unfortunately it seems their community turned on them.
Bravo

Old 05-19-2020, 07:16 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times
I think the McMichael had reasonable cause to follow Arbery in their truck and wait for police to arrive as they followed.

But in my opinion they should not have tried to drive ahead and block him an so on.

I only think you should be able to restrain somebody is if they are on your property at the time you are doing it.

This trying to block stuff escalated the situation and caused his death, my opinion. And it was done with a shotgun which is very destructive

8,956 posts, read 2,554,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
You have a precise GA definition? Kindly show it.
For the Georgia law, it has to be used "in a threatening manner" to constitute aggravated assault. When it comes to the misdemeanor of "pointing or aiming" a gun or pistol, it has to be done "without legal justification"

I don't believe they have a specific definition for "brandishing" in Georgia, at least not that I could find, but those are the two relevant laws.

10,710 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
So going into a half built house somehow is an offense worthy of chasing someone down with loaded firearms ? You can not claim self defense if you are the aggressor and instigated the confrontation yet that is what a retired detective is claiming. Even more ridiculous is that a person in such a position would somehow try to make a citizens arrest of a suspected thief instead of calling the police.

Really whatever happened in that house is irreverent (literally I was in hundreds of half built houses when I was a teen in GA and no neighbor ever came after me with a gun). Neither father or son was threatened until they initiated the confrontation and shot the man in question. At the very least its Aggravated Manslaughter and worst it's first degree stalking and Murder.

Either way those two are going away for a long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
https://www.redandblack.com/cops/cit...a4bcf6878.html

It would depend on what the "arresting" party did. If someone is hurt or killed, assault or murder.

If you detain someone and no crime was committed, false imprisonment, unlawful restraint.

IF you just follow them possible stalking,
or harassment.

If you chase them and set up a road block and confront them with guns drawn. Aggravated assault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I never saw it put forth as a crime. There is no charge of stalking on the table.

The people using the word stalking were not using it in the criminal/legal sense.
And the hilarity continues. Again Blondy, thanks for providing the material.

Not an official charge, but rather by posters on CD. You know, what you said WAS NOT happening.

Hope this helps. A little research would save you from posting embarrassing nonsense.

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Pffft

Is the black cop a racist too for arresting Arobery for felony theft?
That’s not what we’re discussing...

Old 05-19-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Again, you have no grounds to suspect burglary unless you can prove intent, so unless you see them with something, you have no grounds to stop them. And since you don't have any other felonies to accuse them of, you have no grounds to chase them for something YOU DIDN'T WITNESS. The immediate knowledge means you know for a fact that it happened, not that you have a suspicion you need to rule out.

Arbery was within his right to attack them. They attempted to illegally detain him under threat of violence. He's within his rights to defend himself from imminent harm.
I disagree, there had apparently been a few fairly recent burglaries in the neighborhood, including the shooter AND the property that Arbery was trespassing on. With that knowledge, it's "reasonable and probable grounds of suspicion" that a burglary took place. Under Georgia law, that gives them the right to arrest Arbery and hold him for police. Now they never got a chance to even attempt that, but had they done so, it would have been legal.

They had immediate knowledge that he was in that house, and that immediate knowledge was enough to be "reasonable and probably grounds for suspicion" of burglary.

On top of that, Arbery had no reason to believe he was in imminent threat of physical harm, so his assault was completely unjustified.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:22 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,520,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

What caught my attention is that Arbery is one helluva physical specimen. That taser didn’t do squat to him.
It didn't do squat to him because it malfunctioned. He received no current.

What caught my attention is why the hell did the cop attempt to taser him. I'm sure he was appropriately disciplined for improper use.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyBlock View Post
Except according to Georgia law trespassing is not a felony. Trespassing is a misdemeanor.
Burglary is though, and there was reasonable suspicion that might have happened. That's all it takes under Georgia law.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:24 PM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Aaaand it has nothing to do with how he died...
Yeah it does. Suicide by lifestyle. You jack around long enough and your world will end. Someone will put an end to it. Sure, that someone was wrong, too, but you will have done it to yourself.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:26 PM

10,710 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Check your Merriam Webster. They are indeed synonyms.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...chase#synonyms

Further, the connotation for chase can be different. Its not always the same.

I could chase you to return your wallet I saw you drop.

I could chase a toddler to keep them from running into traffic. Ditto a loose dog.

Those are all fairly benign connotations.

I could also chase you in some negative context.

Two jurors could use the word chase to describe what the McMichaels did and one could find it a chase in a non-negative light while another calls it a chase in the context of a hostile act.

You are just wrong. And further, you werent willing to allow that confrontation has a negative context in some/many uses so why should I listen to your current arguments about context
If you were to actually read the included explanations/clarifications about the words Merriam includes as synonyms, it would help resolve your confusion.

If you want to continue to assert that they’re the same, go ahead. But Merriam-Webster doesn’t agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies