Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was it murder
Yes 299 58.86%
No 68 13.39%
Don't know/let's wait and see as more evidence is gathered 141 27.76%
Voters: 508. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 09:11 AM

10,689 posts, read 5,648,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
I don't know if it's intentional. I've been looking at the video and I thought that is what I was seeing.

The video strays off of the fight in places but I think you may be right to a degree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLN4PAJEYc8

tell me if this is how you see it.

Arbery running toward Travis. As he gets closer Travis raises the shotgun (probably) and that is why Arbery goes right. He could keep running straight ahead but he decides to hang left and go in the direction of Travis ton disarm or confront him physically in some way.
Travis had not moved much toward the front of the truck. He was basically close to where he already was but had turned around iand maybe was in front of the truck door. Arbery tried to disarm him.
Travis then has a potential self defence argument for the shooting but it also depends on context.

1) what is the percentage chance in your opinion that in court a jury could be convinced that if Travis admits he had raised the shotgun on Travis, Arbery thought Travis is getting ready to shoot him thus Arbery tried to stop him preemptively thus Travis can't argue self defense.

2) what is the percentage chance in your opinion that in court a jury could be convinced that just cause for the McMichaels following Arbery and then driving ahead and stopping on the road perhaps more than once is some kind of crime because probable cause is too weak?

3) Suppose someone is jogging down a street and there are no other circumstances, no reason whatsoever to follow them. A car drives past them and parks intentionally in their path just for kicks, which is something beyond just following and perhaps this happens more than once and the person keeps jogging and moves around the car and continues running but the person is getting scared.
Are the people in the car committing a crime and if so what is it?
I’m sorry, but you’ve created a bunch of very speculative what-if scenarios based on things that you apparently believe occurred, and you’re then asking me to to somehow support them. There is enough uncertainty in the video and police report already to keep all of us occupied.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Not when that is the direction that Arbery is heading.
Your conclusion would be correct if Arbery had already passed by Travis’ position. This is the point that I addressed earlier. That may well be what happened, but the video doesn’t show it.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:15 AM

10,088 posts, read 6,418,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
For what it's worth, there are white people who understand that you carry this heavy burden and shouldnt have to. Even, conservative Republican white people like myself.

I grew up in the South, suburban Atlanta to be exact. But, I spent most of my adult life in the mid-Atlantic, NY area.

When I came back to the South......to a small town in FL one of the first things I noticed in a really startling way was how often when I passed black men of a certain age say 50 and older they were extremely deferential to me when I passed them in a public place.

More than could just be attributed to general Southern friendliness, manners, social customs that everyone practices. Some muscle memory kicked in and I knew immediately that they were trying to make themselves non-threatening to me.

As a woman, I appreciate when a man of any race makes himself non-threatening to me. But, I have to say I felt deeply disturbed and saddened that these black men felt they had to go to lengths beyond what white men do not to be perceived as a threat to me. It still disturbs me when it happens.
My yard helpers are both black. One is 60 and one 75; I'm a 70 year old white woman. They're both worked for me over 7 years but still call me "Miss ***", never just my first name. Geez, the older one has driven me to colonoscopy appointments - you'd think that would rate a first name basis.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
When you say "Arbery ran at Travis" do you mean when he was running behind the truck on the left side and Travis was at the door or when he ran in front of the truck towards Travis?
I mean during the entirety of what is captured on the video.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:22 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,108,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
If you want to just make stuff up, expect to be called on it.

And I thought you had something substantive to add to the discussion. . .
Says the guy who's making up events that contradicts what's on video? Lol... Go somewhere with that

At least what I'm saying lines up with what's on video

Old 05-20-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
My yard helpers are both black. One is 60 and one 75; I'm a 70 year old white woman. They're both worked for me over 7 years but still call me "Miss ***", never just my first name. Geez, the older one has driven me to colonoscopy appointments - you'd think that would rate a first name basis.
Addressing a female of ANY age as “Miss [first name]” is extremely common in the South among both whites and blacks. I don’t think you can read anything else into it.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:25 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,433,552 times
Quote:
Does what some see as the morality of the issue trump the evidence? Just curious.
I dont see the discussion of moral issues as trumping the evidence when it comes to the trial.

But, I think its naive if people think these discussions on moral issues like racism, police coverups, vigilantism, etc are not going to take place at the same time the trial does.

One of the things that makes this case so interesting is that there are a lot of moral issues involved.

Still, the only way it can trump the evidence is if the evidence points to innocence but a jury goes rogue to send a moral message and convict.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Says the guy who's making up events that contradicts what's on video? Lol... Go somewhere with that
Quote me where I’ve done that and not made it clear that it was speculation. Then, show how what I’ve said contradicts the video.

Good luck.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
would you agree that it should not be allowed to make a citizen's arrest on a suspected criminal trespass?

The GA law says a citizen's arrest has to be suspicion of a felony and criminal trespass is not a felony.

Also GA law says if you go into private property and there are no "no trespassing" signs posted (and there weren't at the time) and the owner had not told you not to or given you notice to stay off the property
that you are not criminal trespassing, that stepping in to private property is not instantly a crime ?

look it up
Georgia law trespassing

and
Citizens arrest
that has to be felony level suspicion
It's not just suspicion. It's immediate knowledge. You have to know that the felony took place, not suspect something might have happened.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Quote me where I’ve done that and not made it clear that it was speculation. Then, show how what I’ve said contradicts the video.

Good luck.
Before Arbery passed the car, was he running at or away from Travis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.