Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was it murder
Yes 299 58.86%
No 68 13.39%
Don't know/let's wait and see as more evidence is gathered 141 27.76%
Voters: 508. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 09:42 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,808,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil1_Munny View Post
With the defense attorney's bringing up additional video of the shooting, you can pretty well assume they wouldn't be touting something that would incriminate their clients.

And how far was Roddie away from the shooting? 50 yards? 75? with a cell phone microphone and inside a moving vehicle and you give any credence to someone saying they heard a gun on the other side of the truck, ****? Which may have caused the gun felon/thief to attack?

Wow, those are some mighty tiny straws you're reaching for.
The defense attorneys are simply asking people not to rush to judgment.

You do realize that the senior McMichaels had a cell phone, and was using it at the time of the shooting?

As far as I can see, you are the one grasping at straws.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:50 AM

16,876 posts, read 10,539,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto Jeff View Post
And the defense would get struck down almost immediately for bringing up facts that's irrelevant to the case.
Not irrelevant. He was a criminal. He had illegal guns. His criminal history involves trespassing and theft. All very relevant to this case.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Not irrelevant. He was a criminal. He had illegal guns. His criminal history involves trespassing and theft. All very relevant to this case.
Irrelevant.

Why?

Because the McMichaels said they didn't know who he was. So they would have no knowledge of Arbery's history with guns. And it is their actions that are on trial. Arbery's history with guns was unknown to them, and therefore didn't have any impact on their actions.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:57 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,165,148 times
Quote:
Ahh, but you miss the point.

The defense will use any excuse to bring his gun conviction into the record. And imagine how that will cripple the prosecution's case, having to avoid anything and everything that will give them an excuse.

Given Arbery's criminal past, a good defense attorney will easily find a way.

The same thing happened in the Trayvon case. While the media went on and on about a white man hunting the sweet cherubic boy, in a hoodie, showing his 13 year old photo, with momma and dad waxing poetic about what a good boy he was, the jury got another story. The prosecution was hamstringed by Trayvon's real history. They were scared to death to say anything the defense could use to destroy the sweet innocent young man's image. And George walked.

The same thing will happen here.

McMichael's and Roddie will walk and neighborhoods will burn.
How would having a gun at one point in the past change anything about the facts of this case? He did not have a gun on the 23rd, he did not pull a gun, he did not threaten anyone with a gun.

Honestly it would be like saying that any gun owner can't possible be in fear for their lives when someone pulls a gun on them since they themselves own guns.

But we shall see how it turns out.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I do know he had a cellphone. I've even listened to the 911 call he made, when someone corrected me on the time of the call.

Do you think the prosecutors are withholding evidence?
Duh.

Of course the prosecution is withholding evidence from the public. They have no obligation, whatsoever, to tell the public about any of the evidence they have in their case against the McMichaels.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:00 AM

13,389 posts, read 6,410,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Yep. I still think that they will offer a lesser charge in order to get him to fully cooperate. Of course they wouldn't say that because the threat of a life sentence will keep the fire to his feet.

I could be wrong here, because I have no clue what they found on the search warrants on the McMichaels and Roddys homes. I did hear mention of some social media communications regarding making a point to keep people out of their neighborhood, so there is far more that has not been released as of yet.
Listening to the GBI Director I was more inclined to think they really dont need his testimony.

But, you could be right as well.

Guessing there is a lot of relevant stuff on the video(s) we havent seen that points to guilt of all 3.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:10 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,870,963 times
I have a q I haven't seen mentioned herein:

did the guy seen in the video across the street from the house, when Arbery emerged, say anything to him? Does anyone know?

Because I'm thinking if he'd entered the house without intent to steal, when he saw he was spotted emerging by this guy, why not talk to him and explain? I would, if I saw someone see me emerge from a house like that, had I just gone in as a looky loo not intending to steal.

I have gone into a lot (probably 20-30?) of abandoned houses, as I am fascinated by them. Twice -many years apart- I was confronted; both times I explained why I was there, and all went OK. One guy (a neighbor, not the owner of the ramshackle, falling down house -very cool place from 1887-) was pretty mad and hostile and did threaten to call police on me. (I'm a white female).

Old 05-22-2020, 10:19 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,110,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I don't think so.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:22 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,870,963 times
Quote:
If you watch the video, it does appear that he might have said something, and there's a black cop on Youtube I've linked to below, who says he has a local source who can confirm the person spoke to Arbery before he bolted. he breaks down the video pretty well, but see for yourself.

I'm sure that will come up at trial, because the GBI would have to interview him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjCzJyFKoqo&t=210s
Hmm. Ok so if the guy across the street DID speak to him, and Arbery's response was to bolt rather than engage in convo, that seems supportive of the intent to steal theory, no?
Unless the guy shouted some threatening kinda stuff? If he just calmly hollered something like hey whatcha doin in there? Then why not just explain, if not up to no good...?

Old 05-22-2020, 10:22 AM

13,389 posts, read 6,410,753 times
Quote:
There have been numerous death threats to Roddie and English.

Imagine what would happen to the case if one of the Arbery crowd actually followed through?

All public support for the trial would dry up.

BLM, Al Sharpton and Ben Crump would crawl back under their rocks and the media would disappear, pretending nothing ever happened. No civil rights lawsuits, no honeypot for Crump and Sharpton.

It'd be a fricken disaster.

I think the GBI is trying to save Roddie's life.
Sure, they're just holding onto him until the FBI can set up his new life in their Witness Protection Program.

Next thing you know there will be no Roddy on the planet anywhere we look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.